STJ spoils you

Travel discussion for St. John
Bob & Anita

STJ spoils you

Post by Bob & Anita »

We just got back from a week on Cape Cod visting Bob's parents. We been going there for years, but after visiting STJ the last two years the Cape wasn't the same. We still had lots of fun but STJ really spoils you.
Bob & Anita
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

There is no other place I have found like STJ. But I'll keep looking and going back to STJ.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Especially since you can't swim at the Cape! I like taking the kids there to play in the sand, but can't get in the water past my ankles. Spoiled is right.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I refuse to go in the ocean anywhere that is not blue water.
RI beaches and the Cape beaches get mighty hot when you won't go in the water to cool off.

People that have never been to STJ think that I am crazy. :roll:
jmq

STJ and New England: Compare and Contrast

Post by jmq »

B&A: I found that I really enjoyed the contrast of New England even more when compared to STJ during our recent trip to Maine.
Lets see how just clicking on the Img box above and pasting in the flickr url works...something I know you may want to try also.
JMQ

Tide running out at sunset...

Maine version of STJ rooster...
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
jmq

Post by jmq »

Sweet... that was easy!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I LOVE Maine. As most people from Mass do :wink: .

However, now that I've swum in STJ waters, I don't even find swimming in Maine lakes to be that nuch fun anymore (forget about the ocean). And snorkeling in the lake....scary :shock: . No Nemo's and coral....only dead trees, darkness and lost fishing lures (mostly my own caught on a sunken tree trunk)

Still, there is a calmness that washes over me when I sit on my mum's deck, listening to the loons, watching the sqirrels and birds compete at the feeder, catching the cool breeze off the lake. It's nice.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Apples & Oranges folks apples & oranges.

I'm about to spend a week on the coast of Maine where a friend lends me her oceanfront summer home.

Is it the tropics? No. Do I love it...Heck yeah!

Two things Maine has that the tropics never will...fresh picked wild blueberries and locally grown sweet corn.

STJ or Maine? I don't have to choose...give me BOTH thankyouverymuch!
Keep your lens clean and your mind open
jmq

Post by jmq »

Ah..peterb you are so right. Apples and oranges AND lobster rolls and fried clams at Bobs Clam Hut on Rt. 1 in Kittery on the way in or out of Maine.

http://www.bobsclamhut.com/index.htm

Also, one of the Top 3 meals of all time I’ve had was one of the simplest, on the deck of cousins Maine coast house.
After watching the lobster boats come in, we rode bikes over to the local lobster co-op, picked out the ones we wanted just off the boat, brought em back, cooked em up simple Maine style, lemon butter for dipping, and had them with sides of Maine sweet corn from local farm market and Jersey tomatoes I had brought with me from my garden at home, plus nice bottles of cold white wine, finished off with Maine blueberries and fresh whipped cream. Awesome.
JMQ
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I had a gentleman from St Louis ask me about etiquette while eating a lobster (he was here on business). The only etiquette I could think of was to make sure you don't bogart the shell crackers!

I told him that the best way to eat a lobster was to grab a roll of papertowels, make sure you have plenty of room, roll your sleeves up and make a huge mess. It's not the lobster itself, it is the process of eating it. So fun!!!

I had carribean lobster at the Chateau Bordeaux last year. It was alright.

Do islanders sit out on the deck and tear up boiled lobsters?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

OK this is making me hungry!

Add me to the list of Maine lovers! We vacation every year on Mousam Lake and my sister just bought a place in Wells!

Love it there!

Maine - the way life should be
Bob & Anita

You are right - apples & oranges

Post by Bob & Anita »

Both places are very nice in their own ways. For one, the seafood on the Cape is so much better then in the Virgin Island - steamed lobsters, lobster rolls, Wellfleet oysters and cherrystones, fresh bakes cod, fried clams, steamer, etc.

Our initial comment was actually referring to swimming in the ocean. We did have a blast on the Cape with all of us boogie boarding the waves, but it's not like clear blue warm caribbean waters. The cold ocean water on the Cape really takes getting use to. We could only go in around low tide when the sand bars are near the surface and the waters are warmer. You also have all the seaweed to deal with. We use to snorkel the kettle ponds on the Cape on our visits, but it was "why bother" this year after two fantastic snorkel trips to STJ.
Bob & Anita
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

We live in Rhode Island (the Ocean State) and I love the beaches of New England. I don't, however, have any desire to snorkel them. The fish just aren't pretty; there's nothing lovely looking about a Sea Robin or a Scup. But the sound of the surf makes my heart happy in either place. It's just happier and warmer on St John :wink:
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

mary beth wrote:OK this is making me hungry!

Add me to the list of Maine lovers! We vacation every year on Mousam Lake and my sister just bought a place in Wells!

Love it there!

Maine - the way life should be
Mary Beth> My parents live on Mousam Lake! That's the lake I was talking about! They retired there about 10 years ago.

What a small world.
nothintolose

I have to agree with Bob & Anita

Post by nothintolose »

Until our first trip to St. John, we loved going to Destin and surrounding areas on the Florida panhandle because the beaches and the water were so beautiful.

Since our trips to STJ, we have only been back to Florida once (this past Easter to Navarre Beach) and it just doesn't compare partially because there is nothing in the water to look at like there is on STJ. Also, there are no other islands to add to your beautiful views.

Don't get me wrong, it was still beautiful and peaceful but give me STJ any day :D

nothintolose