Kauai, St. John, Moorea/Bora Bora in French Polynesia

Travel discussion for St. John
TropicAtHeart

Post by TropicAtHeart »

I love all of these islands, but for different reasons. I would like to know from others who've been to all these islands what they think about each (likes/dislikes) and if they prefer one above another. Of course, for some the undesirable element could be the travel time to get there depending on where you live. Is FP worth it for an East coast dweller when they can more easily get to St. John? Hawaii doesn't have the white powdery sand like St. John, but does have incredible gardens, jungles, waterfalls. Do you think Moorea is sort of a combo of both St. John and Kauai? I've not yet been to Moorea or Bora Bora. I understand that there really isn't much to do on the actual island of Bora Bora and that it's just all about the lagoon as well as very expensive. Any thoguhts?
Flotsam

Post by Flotsam »

Interesting question. Having been to Bora Bora and Moorea two years ago, Maui 10 years ago, and St. John frequently, my quick impressions are as follows:

Best Beaches: St. John. The lagoons surrounding the south pacific islands are breathtaking, but the beaches themselves are not as spectacular.

Most Beautiful Islands: Bora Bora & Moorea hands down, Maui a close second. Nothing against St. John, but volcanic tropical islands of FP and Hawaii are simply stunning. There's a reason they're legendary.

Most Friendly People: Hate to say it, but the natives of French Polynesia are far friendlier to visitors than those of the USVI and BVI. It's a cultural thing, the polynesian people are instantly warm and accessible, it takes a bit more time to get there with West Indian folks.

Getting There: The South Pacific is like on the other side of the planet dude. Tahiti is an 8 hour flight from San Francisco, so add to that whatever it takes you to get to the west coast and there you have it. If you're staying on Bora Bora or one of the other islands (HIGHLY recommended!), add another couple of hours on top of all that. Add at least two days to your trip just to relax and get over jet lag before you attempt any tourist activities. Best advice is to travel to the US west coast one day, proceed to south pacific the next.

Cost: FP freely admits to being one of the most expensive destinations in the world. For example, our over-water fare' at Hotel Bora Bora was $1,200 per night. The least I paid for a can of Coke the entire time I was in FP was $4 USD. $6 was typical. Best value: St. John without even breaking a sweat.

We also did a cruise on Regent's Paul Gauguin, and it was a great way to see a cross section of the French Polynesian islands. Again, expensive, but if you can swing it, it's well worth the time and money. Our pictures if you're interested are at: http://homepage.mac.com/reganwieland/PhotoAlbum6.html
Age brings wisdom. Or, age arrives alone, you never know.
TropicAtHeart

Post by TropicAtHeart »

Thanks for your summary and great photos! We have enough airmiles and hotel points to fly to and stay free on Moorea at an overwater bungalow for about 11 days. The long flights are the downside, but being free makes it more bearable I guess. Will be back in St. John in 2008 and thinking about Moorea for 2009, but not totally decided. I heard snorkeling is great in Moorea, so that's what's drawing us.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

there's no question if I had points to get me there and provide lodging I would go to FP in a heartbeat. I haven't been there but it's one of those dream destinations. In fact we were booked on a cruise there for Sept. 2007 but had to change plans due to some family obligations. I don't think it's fair to compare the places as they all bring very different and fabulous things to the table. But I'm guessing a visit to French Polynesia would find a special place in your heart. Go and explore - enjoy!
TropicAtHeart

Post by TropicAtHeart »

I agree with you! Each place has its charms and I believe we'll head to FP in 09. I like to hear some comparison so I know what to expect. It helped me greatly in choosing where to stay in Hawaii. I prefer Kauai as it has more secluded beaches and great hiking as well as the awesome Napali Coast. Just did part of the Kalalua trail and wow was that a good workout. A misty paradise in some valleys and then sunny trails alongside cliffs with avocados and orchids growing wild. It was unreal. Can't wait to get back to the USVI. Oh those beaches! Love the people too!
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

We've been wanting to do FP (Moorea/Bora Bora) for about 4 or 5 years now. Everytime we start to plan, we change our minds. It's certainly not getting any cheaper and if we're going to go, we need to go. Our problem is we don't want to go without the kids and of course we want to do it up right with the OWB so that's talking $$$$. We're also entertaining thoughts of the Cooks. Rarotonga/Aitutaki (the island of dreams). Longer flight to get there though. I think we are doing Anguilla next so it may have to wait a while longer...

BTW, we love Maui and I agree that the Pacific Volcanic islands are breathtaking but the actual beaches I didn't think were near as pretty as St. John. I have heard that it's all about those peaks and lagoons in FP so I'd like to see that someday for myself.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

What a timely topic for me!
My husband gets a trip for being at his company for 20 years. The $$ amount is limited, but we figure this may be the last chance to go to that dream destination since college costs are soon approaching.
We decided on Maui. Then after some research saw that an all-inclusive on Bora Bora was less since there are no all-inclusives on Maui. I was first saying let's go to STJ, of course, but hubby wants to try someplace different. I guess it is his trip!
So, is Maui worth it? Is Bora Bota better? Where is Moorea? I need to do research but I keep coming back to this forum because I LOVE STJ and I can't help it. :)
I know the plane ride will be LONG to the South Pacific so I was wondering-- is it worth it compared to STJ?
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I visited Moorea about 20 years - it is still the real paradise; hard to explain, but when I say that to friends before they leave, they fully understand when they return. Due to the flight time (east coast), you really need to plan at least 2 weeks. If I had more ff and hotel points, I'd visit again in a heartbeat.

Have also been to various Hawaiian islands islands on 4 occasions; again, the drawback is the flight time. The islands are beautiful, but, I'm not sure the beaches are all that spectacular. Some really great snorkeling, but I wasn't truly bowled over with the beaches. But, a helicopter ride that dips into a volcanic crater can't be had just anywhere.

Don't need to tell you all the good things about St. John.

If there were an abundance of time and money, I'd visit Tahiti and Hawaii more often; or maybe I'd just move to St. John - such a dilemma 8) 8)
janet
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Flotsam,
Great pictures! It looks real tempting!
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Having been to Kauai and French Polynesia, I don’t particularly miss Kauai (though I fully enjoyed the Garden Island) while I do dream about visiting French Polynesia again. That said, I’ve only been to the atolls (Rangiroa and Fakarava), so I can’t speak of Moorea or Bora Bora. One of the reasons why I want to go back is to visit those islands.

Like Flotsam, I find the Polynesian people to be warm and friendly. The people I met in FP certainly added warmth to our trip and I remember them very fondly.

As for beaches, I love the beaches of St John.

As far as sea life goes, I just can’t forget the experiences I had in FP (I know the atolls are not the subject here but let me go ahead and write it). One of the places we stayed at was remote and right near a drop-off. Fish tend to congregate around the drop-off including sharks (mostly different species of reef sharks). They were everywhere day/night. I saw a 6-foot-Moray right outside our doorstep and some Stone Fish camouflaged in foot-deep water, not to mention a LOT of varieties of tropical fish around the drop-off and occasional turtles. I realize that this is not a place for everyone, especially considering the fact that the accommodations were very basic with no fresh water (we were provided with bottles of water for drinking and brushing teeth). Among the places we stayed at in FP, it was by far the cheapest ($100 per person per day, all inclusive, 8 years ago) and most memorable sea-life-wise ever for me.
I enjoyed the atolls and their lagoons, but the next time - if I can ever get back there - I would definitely like to visit the islands like Moorea and Bora Bora. As I’ve seen some in Kauai, the landscapes of volcanic islands are gorgeously dynamic.

That said, I am one of many St. John lovers. Yes, it’s only a 4-hour-direct-flight to STT from NY, but that’s not why. It’s hard to put it in words, but then, I probably don’t need to.

TropicAtHeart, if you visit FP, I hope you do some island/atoll hopping. If you have 11 days, you can visit at least a couple of different places.
TropicAtHeart

Post by TropicAtHeart »

Yes, we'll visit some small hideaways (I've been researching). Looks like I'm getting more hotel points then anticipated so I'm going to make the trip closer to two weeks as has been suggested. Now, were looking forward to our return to St. John! Haven't been there in a few years, so I'm anxious to get back. To anyone who hasn't been to Kauai and wondered what it like I suggest watching Six Days Seven Nights with Harrison Ford and also Jurassic Park. Both shot in Kauai. When I was there this past month they were filming Tropic Thunder, a Ben Stiller action comedy. Lots of stars on island, Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr., Tom Cruise (cameo), Nick Nolte. BIG budget movie which is making the Kauai residents very happy.
debbiest23

I loved the Overwater Bungalows....

Post by debbiest23 »

Well we got lucky because the first time we visited Tahiti,Moorea and Bora Bora the Sheraton Moorea Lagoon Resort on Moorea was just built and they were having a special on Horizon Overwater Bungalows.So we got #75 at the end of a dock for $380 a night!!Which included taxes/fees!!Now those rooms go for over $900 a night.
EEK!!
It was absolutely gorgeous and worth every penny we paid for that trip.
Debbie
TropicAtHeart

Post by TropicAtHeart »

Debbie, we are planning on staying there too! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Did you rent vehicle? We were curious about those minicars "suncar". Also, how lnog were you in Moorea? We aren't planning on going to Bora Bora. One, can't use our hotel points there efficiently; two, the cost of the plane (we're using only points to get from Cleveland to Papette, then ferry to Moorea; three, I've heard so many people say that in the last couple years Bora Bora is becoming construction zone with new hotels popping up and some prefer Moorea for snorkeling and overall island activities. What's your take (even though it was a few years ago)?
debbiest23

Post by debbiest23 »

TropicAtHeart wrote:Debbie, we are planning on staying there too! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Did you rent vehicle? We were curious about those minicars "suncar". Also, how lnog were you in Moorea? We aren't planning on going to Bora Bora. One, can't use our hotel points there efficiently; two, the cost of the plane (we're using only points to get from Cleveland to Papette, then ferry to Moorea; three, I've heard so many people say that in the last couple years Bora Bora is becoming construction zone with new hotels popping up and some prefer Moorea for snorkeling and overall island activities. What's your take (even though it was a few years ago)?
Oh you will love the Sheraton Moorea.What an absolutely gorgeous place to stay.We loved the overwater bungalow.The see through section in the floor.The big deck to lay out on.In my opinion the food was OK.I don't know if it's changed since I've been there but they cannot make a drink at the bar to save their lives.So we stuck with Heineken.We did rent a car (not a suncar) for 4 hours one day.We went to the Fruit Juice Factory and did some tastings.Whew.That stuff is strong!And stopped at a little store on our way to see a few other places we were thinking of staying at next time we visited.The Le Tipaniers,Sofitel and the InterContinental.We thought all were nice but the Sheraton definitely had the prime location.None of them beat that!
Renting a car is very expensive on Moorea.And gas is alot more than we imagined.To fill up the tank of this little car we had costs around $100!! Yes.That's right.It was $90 for the 4 hr rental.
Well as far as Bora Bora went.We stayed at the Le Meridien Bora Bora.WOW!Absolutely gorgeous location!
The overwater bungalows were fabulous and the lagoon bungalows looked wonderful.You cannot go wrong with either.The Le Meridien is on it's own little Motu (sand spit is what I like to call it)away from the main island.We did take a private boat into Vaitape on the island of Bora Bora.Not too much exciting to see there but we loved our speed boat ride across the lagoon.There's nothing like it on this earth.
Absolutely stunning.
Yes there is more to do on Moorea and better snorkeling but for for views and stunning lagoons go visit Bora Bora and stay at the Le Meridien.
I know I sound like a commercial.But it is the most beautiful place in the world...
Sorry to rant on so much but it is such a rare,exotic place.
Debbie
BabaAus

on StJ vs Kauai and others

Post by BabaAus »

I just had to chime in on this one tho I'm not sure how well it'll be received...

The BEST experience I ever had in the tropics was almost 20 years ago on Kauai. I camped with a friend on a secluded north shore beach where clothing was optional. Between the zillions of stars in the night sky, daily swims with spinner dolphins, the absence of mosquitos, a freshwater falls for drinking & bathing, scads of papaya and mango ripe for the picking, fellow naked beachers from the world over, nightly bonfires with wild drumming and dancing AND Banana Joe's Tropical Fruit Stand smoothies at the trail head...no other tropical beach spot has yet to come close. But, again, it was 20 years ago. I've never been back for fear of finding the entire island all built up and developed :-(

Since then I've travelled to and explored the many islands of Palau: HIGHLY recommended if you are a diver. World class! And very friendly native people. And no problem finding your own little island, there, that you can have completely to yourself.

South of Cancun a couple of hours are more great beaches and fairly cheap places to stay.

I LOVE StJ for ease of getting there (my 6'4", 230# body does not fit easily into most airline seats), variety of deserted beaches, friendly *native* locals, ample trails for hiking and good cheap rum.