Car Rental

Travel discussion for St. John
Ryn

Car Rental

Post by Ryn »

We have 6 of us and are wondering if we should go with the two jeep route or rent one Montero or Durango.

We are open to, if we decide to split up, taking taxi's to where we want to go. We're just trying to save a few funds. How are the taxi rates?

Any recommended agencies or experiences renting a Montero/Durango with 6? Roominess, etc.

We are receiving a 10% disc with Cool Breeze.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

If you can swing it, rent two. Go with the Vitaras if you need to save some bucks.

It's annoying to have to do EVERYTHING together. Even in paradise. Heck, six of us went down a few years ago (six couples), rented two jeeps and wished we had three.

Think about it:
1. What if you don't feel like beach hopping one day but the others do. They leave. You have no vehicle to shop/tour/pick up some eggs/go to Skinny Legs and hang.
2. What if the guys want to go watch "the game" (there's always a game on somewhere ) and the girls want to shop. Only one vehicle. Have to drop someone off and set up pick up times and blah blah blah.

You paid a boatload of money to do what you want to do in paradise. Spend a bit more, have your freedom!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Taxis don't cover the island. You will be limited as to where you can go. Mostly the touristy places.
nothintolose

Go with two

Post by nothintolose »

If you can afford it, DEFINITELY go with two cars/jeeps over just one because with six people it is doubtful that you will all want to be going the same place at the same time.

One thing we found about the Liberties is that the front seats are high so it's hard to see out of the back seat through the front window. We prefer the Escape or the Grand Vitaras as well. The back seat of the Wranglers is small so keep that in mind.

nothintolose
Ryn

Post by Ryn »

LysaC & Nothingtolose

When you are talking about the vitaras. Are you talking about the 2 door or the 4 door?

Are the 4 door similar to a GEO Tracker?
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

The Vitara four door. I only reccomend it cuz it's the cheapest 4WD. Not the best but it'll get you where you want to be.
nothintolose

4 door

Post by nothintolose »

I was talking about the 4 door.

We had a Vitara that was similar in size to the Escape.

When we were there with our group of 17 a few summers ago, they all rented from Cool Breeze and had Liberties and one Grand Vitara - we liked the Escape and the Grand Vitara much better than the Liberties because of those high front seats.

nothintolose
Amy

Post by Amy »

Ryn, as you can see, just about everyone on this forum will strongly suggest that you rent two cars, but I wanted to offer a (minority!) point of view as someone who rented a 7-passenger car for our group of 7, and it worked just fine. Be aware, you have to have a group that really does want to do most things together. We were a family group at Christmas time, and I think that made a difference. I would say if you have two different families, two cars would probably work much better to avoid any conflict. On the few occasions where some in our group wanted to do something different, taxis worked fine. But if you think you will be using a lot of taxis, the 2 cars might even be cheaper since the taxi costs add up quick! We stayed at a villa on Gifft Hill, and it was generally $7 each way per person to Cruz Bay, plus tip.

We're going back to STJ a week from Friday :D, again with a group of 7, and again we're renting just the one car. But this time we're staying at Maho Bay Camps where many people don't rent cars at all, so we figure one will be fine. And again, we're going with good friends who are newbies to STJ, and they want to do the same things as us--basically, drive to the best beaches (which they are letting me pick!) and go snorkeling--so I know one car will work. There is a taxi service at Maho Camps if by chance someone wants to go into town instead, and it really does save a lot of money to just get the one car. In our group, 3 of the people are kids, and they don't get much of a say about what we're doing :wink:, so that also makes it an easier decision. So, just another point of view. I think you need to assess the personalities in your group, think about how compatible you really are, look at the budget, and then make a decision.
mia

Gotta love this forum.

Post by mia »

Thanks for the advice about the Liberty having high front seats.... we were all set to rent one. We will now rent an Escape...the information found in this forum is invaluable, as are the folks who so willingly impart their wisdom to help other users.