Caneel Bay or Gallows Point??

Travel discussion for St. John
Old Man

Another Gallows Fan

Post by Old Man »

I too am a Gallows fan. Have stayed in 3D. Wonderful views from your balcony. Water on three sides. Staff friendly and helpful. Very close to Cruz Bay (easy walk). Rent a car to explore the island (a must). But wherever you stay just relax, live on island time and enjoy the paradise that is St John.
CruzBayB

Post by CruzBayB »

genas, go to tripadvisor.com and search for Gallow's Point on St John. Then read reviews from lots of people who have stayed there and be sure to check out the photographs that are taken by these tourists. There are many pictures from inside the different units so you will know which ones to request. You can also do the same thing for Caneel. I would like to try caneel, even though I love Gallow's Point, but have never been able to secure a room for less than at Gallow's. We liked walking into town for dinner when we stayed at Gallow's but I would LOVE to be able to walk out of my unit to the wonderful snorkeling beaches around Caneel... although, I'd probably be off on a taxi to my other favorite north shore beaches anyway so who knows where I'll stay next time. As long as you are on STJ, you'll be happy! :lol:
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."
petepie

Post by petepie »

Old Man, we stayed in Gallows 3D as well--I think it was the perfect location, sort of out on a point, with water all around and great views to St. Thomas. We stayed several years ago, so I don't know about the condition of the furnishings etc. now, but it was great when we were there.
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Hi,
I stayed at both and would go with the apples to oranges theory. I think alot depends on what you want out of your trip. I loved both for different reasons.
Caneel- 7 beautiful beaches, Quiet,Quiet,Quiet,a feeling of being at a resort backing in time, probably the most relaxing place I have ever been to, no need to go out but then why go to St. John?
Gallows- another fan of 3D, can't beat how close it is to the restaurants and bars of Cruz bay at night, great view, nice pool area, units are like condos.
If you are going to St. John to just relax I would choose Caneel. If you are the type of people who like to explore and enjoy walking the small town and trying different restaurant and maybe shopping I would chose Gallows or as other have said, rent a small villa for about the same cost. One last thing , if this is your first trip to St. John, I would opt for Gallows because you would be close to everything but could still explore as much as you want with your rental vehicle. Good Luck, Scott