Prescription Masks

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Prescription Masks

Post by Coden »

I know that we can buy prescription masks, and have looked at some sites and have our prescriptions available...but instead of going that route are there ready made magnifying masks out there?

Thnx!!
Coden
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

Yes, there are! Two months ago I bought a prescription mask for my daughter at The Sports Authority. It's made by Body Glove (I think) and there are 3 magnifications available (mild, medium and strong). The cost was around $70 which was a lot cheaper than what I've seen in dive shops and online. The mask is packaged so that you can look through the mask without taking it out of the plastic packaging. There's only one size but it still seals well for my daughter's smaller-sized face. I just checked and unfortunately the mask isn't available at their Web site. I purchased it in New Jersey. Good luck.
Eric in NJ

pre made masks

Post by Eric in NJ »

There are basic masks out there with prescription lenses. I even asked my eye dr about them. I have 2 different lenses in my glasses but she told me to just get a close match in between & I should be ok.

This site has some
:http://www.snorkel-mart.com/index.cfm
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
trptman

Post by trptman »

My wife and I have experience with the Body Glove mask mentioned above (mine) and the semi-prescription mask from snorkelmart (wife's). Both were around the same price. I would recommend snorkelmart as you can get different lenses for each eye - they don't handle stigmatisms but their online directions are very good in helping you translate your prescription to their stock lenses pretty closely. My wife was very pleased with her mask.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Basically, there is a difference in masks with prescription lenses - which are pretty darn expensive, and masks with removable lenses that you can put diopters in. Diopters are not prescription, but it will definetly help, unless you are like me with a huge astigmatism, then they won't do much good.

Most dive shops have a good selection of diopters, from -6 to about +6. Just look through them to see if they will improve your vision. :|
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks to all of you!!

I had seen the Snorkelmarts prescription area on their website. I think I am going to have to call them. My son is a -9 in one eye and a -7.25 in the other. I am a -10 in one eye and a - 7.25 in the other. Our astigmatism is Way out there too.

I thought maybe we could just get a mask with a strong magnification. But maybe not with our vision.

Do you think, since once you are under water and that a regular mask magnifies approx. 25% that we even need to worry about special masks? Won't we be able to see something?
Coden
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Even with my astigmatism, i wear a mask with just the regular lenses and I see just fine, no great, but just fine.

25% larger, huh? Maybe I should be snorkeling in the buff........ :lol:

Coden

Post by Coden »

Caribert :lol:

So you think that with our prescriptions, and astigmatisms that just a regular mask will do for us?
My husband ( Mr. Perfect Eyes ) said he would keep an eye on the two of us and not let us get lost. Ha!!

The 25% magnification came from an article I found on the net this morning. And then on a Dive Shop website I read 33%.

I guess I will go to the Dive Shops out of town...we have none here...and check to see if they have the Diopters. Is that a plastic thing that just fits into the mask or is the original glass of the mask pulled out and the diopter put in?
Coden
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

I haven't used a prescription mask yet. but a regular one does improve my sight some. I am going to go to a dive shop near me and try them out though. I have an astigmatisim in one eye but the other has had cataract surgery and I believe the inter ocular lense they inserted got rid of it.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

The diopter replaces the plain glass (plastic) in the mask. I would say that you need to go into a dive shop and actually hold the diopters up to your eyes to see if they will correct your vision enough. They work great for my wife, but not for me (astignatism).

One thing to consider if you do get special lenses or diopters for your mask, you will need to take them with you in your carry on. The first time we went and our luggage didn't make it until the next day, sure put a damper on our snorkeling. I can just rent another mask for a short period of time, but it is hard to find special lenses in masks to rent until yours show up.

Coden

Post by Coden »

Again Thanks everyone for all of your help!!

Here's what I am going to do: I am going to take some light colored plastic pieces (Caribbean fish colors!) and hang them from fishing line and take them to my friends pool. Then, I will have them hold the pieces in the water like they are fish and then I am going to snorkel (we do have regular masks) and see if I can see them. And if it all fails, at least we had fun!!! :) Hopefully it will be good though!

I really appreciate all of the help from you guys!!
Coden
AlabamaSusana

Consider contact lenses (+)

Post by AlabamaSusana »

I use contacts for diving and they work very well.
Bob & Anita

Prescription Masks - Our Experience

Post by Bob & Anita »

We purchased a prescription mask for our son from Joe Diver America, which we like as an online retailer for our snorkel gear. Here is a link to their prescription mask: http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA ... Corrective
Our son really like the mask; it was a good quality mask and never leaked.
Bob & Anita
Coden

Post by Coden »

Alabama Susan - If only we were so lucky to be able to wear contact lenses...lucky you that you get to and I'm jealous! :) I used to wear contacts years ago but had to give them up in the early 90's. Unfortunately our eyes are too messed up. Boo-hoo!!!

B & A - Thanks for the thumbs up on the Joe Diver prescripton masks. It is always good to hear a good review about something that one is looking for. If my trial in the pool doesn't pan out then I will give JD a visit with prescription in hand!

Thanks everyone!!
Coden
BW

prescription masks

Post by BW »

I purchased a presription mask through snorkelmart for our trip in May and I loved it. I have used disposable contacts in the past but it was much nicer using the mask and not dealing with the contacts. My eyes are both a -3.25 and I ordered the -3.00 and it was a great buy for $60.00.