Prescription Masks

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Post by Coden »

BW - Thanks for the recommendation on snorkelmart. I just checked them out and at 64.95 it is very doable. I checked a site out last night called rx safety wear and they are 145.00. But they take into affect your cylindrical and axis numbers too.

My prescription is -10.75 (R) and -7.75 (L) and Snorkelmart goes up to a -10 so I think if I get a -10 (R) and a -7.0 (L) I should be okay.

I know we are not doctors, but doesn't it stand to reason that if I have to take .75 off of my right eye because they only go to a -10.0 that I should compensate and take the full .75 off of my right eye??
Coden
Coden

Post by Coden »

Actually, I like the 84.95 ones better. The colored part looks thinner. I think I will give Snorkelmart a call today and discuss our prescriptions and see what they think.
Coden
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thnx for the heads-up on the stick-ons. I'm not sure they would be powerful enough though, but the price sure is great. My son and I have messed up eyes. I'm a -10.75 & a -7.75 and he is a -9.0 and a -7.25...and we both have major astigmatism.

I would love to go the above route...but being so new at this I just don't know if the magnification would be enough. Vi-bound, and others, what do you think?

A friend of ours is a surgical asst. for one of the biggest eye places here in town. He is looking into getting us some prices on lenses that we will just snap into a mask. This way we will always have the lenses and can change the mask if needed.

Oh, my test this past Sunday in my friends pool, to see if I could see fish, well, I could see the items (fish) clearly if they were within 1 foot of my face. Of course, anything else further away was a blur.
So the test worked in the fact that it did make me realize that we really need corrective lenses for our masks. What a bother just to see!!
Coden
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

I started snorkeling with a regular mask and I fell in love with snorkeling so much that 1 Christmas my husband arranged for me to get a prescription mask. Wow. So much better. I just loved it (though my eyes were so bad that the thick lens made me look very strange when I came out of the water :lol:)

I then proceeded to have Lasix which, to me, was an absolute miracle. For the 1st time in my life (having worn thick lens ever since I was a very small child) I could actually see both in the water, under the water, above the water, even walking on the beach. It's been a few years but I still thank the Lord each time I'm in that beautiful water & am able to look around at all the beauty & still even see & recognize my husband on the beach!! :D
Coden

Post by Coden »

St. J Lover - You know how it is!! My husband has to come and get me when I am ready to come out of the water. I can make it out of the water by myself just fine, but once out...which direction do I go in?...since I can't see then I don't know where I am going or how far I need to go. It is very frustrating to say the least.

I'm so glad that the surgery has worked for you and that you are able to lead a "normal seeing life now". Glasses, etc. are a pain in the you know where!! I need to have my eyes checked to see if I'm a candidate for Lasix...I think my eyes are too try for the surgery. If you have abnormally dry eyes then you are not a good candidate.

Hopefully my friend will be able to have some thinner lenses ground for us. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out.
Coden