No Liquid Carry On – Oh No

Travel discussion for St. John
FlaGeorge

No Liquid Carry On – Oh No

Post by FlaGeorge »

Just heard about the plot in England on the radio. I understand that no liquids/gels will be allowed on the aircraft. What about duty-free? Will you still be able to get your 5 bottles? That is a huge perk about going to the islands. Anybody have any info on this? :cry: :cry: :cry:

FlaGeorge
FlaSteph

No Liquid Carry On

Post by FlaSteph »

I imagine you will still be able to check the liquids. I don't think we will know for sure until they get through with this investigation. :arrow: :x
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

You can still have liquids, but it sounds like they have to be checked.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I hope the ban doesn't last long :shock:
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Whoa Boy...this is bad news for all the "carry on" only folks! Looks like we'll all be checking our bags for a while. I guess you could still have carry ons only, but it will get kind of expensive buying all your hair gels, shave creams, tooth pastes etc when you get to where you are going!

Maybe now I can find an overhead space for my carry ons when I am loading in zone 7 or 8!
:wink:
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Amy

Post by Amy »

Yikes, we're going to STJ a week from tomorrow and I have to totally revise my packing strategy! I was going to be so good this time, and pack a bare minimum using mostly carry-ons. Oh well. Plus, we're flying out of Philly which is bad even when things are going smoothly terror-alert-wise. Hopefully, things will have calmed down a little bit by next week, but I still think security will take forever. And I guess I'll just have to hope our checked bags with sunscreen and bug spray make it to St. Thomas!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

You CAN have liquids, you just can't carry them on.

This is due to LIQUID EXPLOSIVES :shock: !

I know we all like to save a few bucks but I'd rather have LIQUID EXPLOSIVES BANNED and pay a bit more for my Cruzan Cocount in the States and/or buy my shampoo at the drugstore on-island.

I'll repeat myself: LIQUID EXPLOSIVES!!!
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I hate to be that guy (Mr. Thinksabouthimself), but how are we going to get our Cruzan home? They don't sell the good flavors here in Raleigh!

I jest, but I am wondering about what kind of mess the airports are going to be. My wife and daughter are flying from RDU to PHL next week and PHL needs no reason to be a zoo. This should make it a total mess.

I'm happy we're "only going from RDU" on our STJ trip. It's too small to be a real hassle. Our friends are comiing from EWR and they might as well leave home now for our flight on the 19th.

I'm all for the security, I just hope people don't lose their minds to much more than they normally would.

Ugh...
jmq

Post by jmq »

Speaking of EWR, just heard on local news that security lines are "6 football fields long".
It would make way too much sense for them to save time by eliminating the ridiculous procedure of removing your sandals or other narrow sole shoes to spend their time on this new threat.
Plus one other dirty word: PROFILE.
JMQ
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Barb

Re: No Liquid Carry On

Post by Barb »

FlaSteph wrote:I imagine you will still be able to check the liquids. I don't think we will know for sure until they get through with this investigation. :arrow: :x
I know how you feel FlaSteph but rather be on sfe side. I know where I fly out from it doesn't take much to bacl up the security lines :cry: :roll:
Barb
A Dream can be only a wish away
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I just heard on the radio that duty free shops are not even open so you can't buy any alcohol anyway.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
Bob & Anita

Liquids

Post by Bob & Anita »

We understand that you can carry liquids on, but only those you buy after going through security, which doesn't help in STT since the duty free shop is outside of security.

We wonder if this policy will inlcude our Gray Poupon Dijon? How can they expect us to travel without it? :wink:
Bob & Anita
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Bring some sheets of bubble rap laid flat in your suit cases and some tape tape the tops so they don't come loose and wrap with bubble wrap and put int hte middle of your dirty clothes and check your rum. we have been doing it this way for ten years and haven't had one bottle broken and we have had to bring a couple hundred back this way. :lol:
Amy

Re: Liquids

Post by Amy »

Bob & Anita wrote:We understand that you can carry liquids on, but only those you buy after going through security, which doesn't help in STT since the duty free shop is outside of security.
You can't even take liquids bought in the "safe areas" on the plane, according to this update on the USAir website:

8/10, 2 p.m. ET: Customers should be advised that they will not be permitted to purchase liquid items from airport gift shops to take on the airplane with them. Those items will be confiscated at the gate. This applies to all flights to, from and within the United States. Beverages purchased in the sterile area must be consumed before boarding because they will not be permitted onboard the aircraft.

Guess we could drink up all the rum while waiting for our flight home!
sunlover

what about sending prohibited items ahead?

Post by sunlover »

we are compulsive carry-on luggage people... has anyone thought about sending a package of toilettries (sp?), suntan lotion, bug spray, etc., either fed-ex or usps? Is there anywhere who would be able to receive such a package, e.g., the villa company or connections maybe? just a thought...