First Timer's STJ Trip Report: Final Days

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I enjoyed your reports. For first timers, your group certainly seemed comfortable doing lots of different things.

My mom and boyfriend will be kayaking over in Coral Bay in February and I will be sending her a link to your report.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

waterguy wrote:
Great report so as first timers will you go back
We will absolutely go back! Loved it so much! Unfortunately I don't know when. I'd love to go during the off season but our primary travel window is the winter break, unless we take the kids out of school (which I would consider for a few days, probably not a whole week or more.) We have tentative plans for next winter break (Kauai, never been) but I could just as easily go back to STJ!
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

BRAVA!!BRAVA!! Each time the bar is raised a bit higher on the trip reports. When I return from my July trip, I am going to have to hire you, CG, or a dozen other trip reporters to do my trip report!

Does Sadie Sea have a web site? How much do they charge for the trip and was there a minimum number of people that have to be on board?

Great report! I know you will be back....once is never enough of St. John and the Virgin Islands!

Thanks again for sharing!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Thanks for the Little Lameshur pictures California Girl and jmq! I really want to go there next time, as well as some of the other beaches we didn't make it to.
jayseadee wrote:
Did you put the kayaks in Princess Bay by the mangroves? I was wondering how accessible that area is by road; we've only snorkeled the mangroves by boat.
I think the access is near where you see the arrows in this picture. Watch for a spot in the road where the grass along the water side indicates that people park there, and there's a short dirt path and an opening (maybe 6 or 8 feet wide) down to the water. Doug at Crabby's could tell you for sure. I was grateful for the red buoy in the water, because it would have been tricky to find on our way back without it! There's room for at least a few cars there, not next to each other but end to end along the shoulder of the road.

chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Caribert wrote:
BRAVA!!BRAVA!! Each time the bar is raised a bit higher on the trip reports. When I return from my July trip, I am going to have to hire you, CG, or a dozen other trip reporters to do my trip report!

Does Sadie Sea have a web site? How much do they charge for the trip and was there a minimum number of people that have to be on board?

Great report! I know you will be back....once is never enough of St. John and the Virgin Islands!

Thanks again for sharing!

-Bert
Hey Bert, how about hiring us to go on the trip with you? Then we could do a better job writing your report! :)

Here is the Sadie Sea web site: http://www.sadiesea.com

It was very reasonable: our trip cost $550 for 10 of us (plus we gave them a 20% tip). We had the whole boat and of course the 2 crew. They provided adult beverages as well as soda and water. We used our own snorkel gear, but we could have used theirs if we needed to. They were super to work with. I don't know about a minimum number, but you can email or call them; they respond pretty quickly. They also do open trips as well, bringing out whoever signs up that day.
LMG

Post by LMG »

Over already? :(

You did a great job both on island and reporting! I'm betting you'll be back sooner than you think. :) Thanks for taking the time to share.
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Excellent trip report! Happy birthday! Your reports brought a huge smile to my face :)

I definitely want to try to be more active during our February trip - you've inspired me.
NancyB
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I amused myself by marveling at the huge pieces of luggage some people brought. Did they really change clothes that often?
I'm one of those people :)

My fins won't fit in anything but my biggest suitcase, so I have to lug it to STJ every year.

Good trip report...it's always interesting to see STJ through the eyes of first-timers :)
Connie

Post by Connie »

Thanks so much for your trip report. Loved it and glad you had a great time.

Happy Birthday!

I'm one of those huge suitcase people too because of the fins, but I'm getting the smaller ones this year and packing them a smaller suitcase.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I will join Teresa_Rae and fess up - I am also one of those people with the big suitcases.

And its not even that I really bring along that much clothing (I don't, honestly) or shoes (2 pair of flip flops and one set of sneakers for the last trip and I wore the sneakers on travel day)

It is the darn big fins, the mask in its case, the books (my goodness, the reading material we take along!) the camera accessories....

Then there is hubs who has to take his work directory, files for each one of his on-going projects (in case of emergency), full size containers of toothpaste and shaving cream, shoes...

One day, we WILL do carry-on, I hope.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Well I think snorkel gear is a great excuse for packing a large suitcase! I shouldn't make fun of it. But honestly, some of these gals had multiple huge bags (3 or 4.) They looked more like the dressed up/decked out type than the snorkel type!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I saw someone like that at the ferry dock when we were leaving. The biggest mongo suitcase I've ever seen!! A small girl with lots of makeup on and a velour jogging outfit was trying to wield this huge hard-sided suitcase around and she looked so sweaty and out of place! I made up a story that her boyfriend had brought her to STJ and dumped her and now she was trying to get home. LOL!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Outstanding trip report! :D I felt like I was there with you....Hold on a moment. I have to dump the sand out of my shoes. :oops: There. Now I'm ready....The stories, photos, excitement and happiness came through loud and clear. 8) I am so happy that your first trip went so well. This will be hard to top.

We have a great time when we go to the VI but, I think we should hire you the next time. :wink: You are a natural at this. I don't know what you do professionally, but I could use three people like you in my office today.

Although we've been to STT and STJ three times already, we are staying on STJ the first time (Luna Vista) in however many days it says below. We will be using your report as a guide for our activities. :D
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Thanks for your entertaining report! I loved all the pictures, especially the ones of your happy kids. Thanks for sharing.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I loved your trip report. Thanks for sharing it with us!