HOW do I make a picture fit the avatar requirements?

Travel discussion for St. John
LysaC

HOW do I make a picture fit the avatar requirements?

Post by LysaC »

n.m.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Lysa - Do you have Photoshop? If so, then when you save your avatar as a .jpg, and you get to choose the resolution, slide the bar and watch the KB numbers below the slide. It will tell you how big it is. My experience with Photoshop is that it actually saves a little bigger (file size) than it says, so save it at about 5.6 or so. Hope this helps. If you have trouble, let me know and I will be happy to help you. Just ask CariBert or Robin in NC :)
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

Cari, Bert...

I made my picture just under 6KB but it's so tiny now you can't really see the picture. Are there any other parameters you know about?
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I can't figure it out either. I don't have photoshop, but I do have zoommbrowser, picasa, and a flickr account...anyone?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Robin in NC

Yes, California Girl worked her magic

Post by Robin in NC »

I gave her the Waldorf-Astoria, she gave me back a Monopoly hotel. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

She's my favorite avatarix. And a really nice person, to boot.

Robin
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

Maryanne try saveing it as a .gif file that may give you a larger size image at the same file size
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

And for allmost all my photo stuff I use Irfanview. I'ts free and simple to use. I just opened the picture I wanted cropped it where I wanted it, then you click on :image/resize/select 50pix then save as and it worked like a charm. I'm trying to figure out how someone here got a 70X70 pic up I tried but it wouldn't let it through.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
California Girl

Hi! :D

Ok, I don't think you can do this avatar thing in a photo program like Picasa, but never having tried Picasa I can't say for sure. Photoshop is more of an "art" program and that's what I work in.

Maryanne & Lysa - If you make your picture 6kb BEFORE you do anything with it, you surely will lose details. I first make the picture 50 x 50 pixels, and THEN I save it down to 6kb (smaller actually). With one I did for CariBert, even after I reduced it to 50 x 50, it was still something like 45kb (I think it has something to do with all of the colors & details in the original picture for some reason), so I copied it and saved it as a new .jpg file and it was easy to get it down under 6kb. Then I apply a "sharpen" filter and that brings out all the details.

I helped Robin and Bert and I'll be happy to help you too. Just send me the original picture you want made into an avatar and it will take me about 5 - 10 minutes to reduce it for you.

Eric, I believe I remember Anthony wondering how someone got a 70x70 on the board too, but it came down to linking the picture from somewhere else on the net, I think. Have you noticed the avatars that are in the forum gallery are also bigger than 50x50? I'm curious about that... I should ask Anthony about it.
:?
California Girl

THANKS ROBIN! I like you too! :P
JC

Post by JC »

Testing the avatar thing...

"I didn't come here...and I ain't leavin'"
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

I used the tool from the following website. It was really simple to use and it did the trick for me...

http://www.icyworlds.net/about/avatar
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

RandyinMD!!!! Hey...wow! I used icyworld and it was so quick and easy. Yay! Now I'm a lizard! Is that a good thing?

I was trying to get a Red Sox image as my avatar but they are a bunch of bums lately. So, I'm a lizard.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I actualy use my work computer so I don't ahve any of those photo editing programs. The icyworld was wicked easy.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

Thanks so much, CAGirl, for the offer to help. I ended up using that Icyworld site and it works really well. So I am all set...
JC

NM

Post by JC »

NM

JC

Post by JC »

Randy...thank you so much for the link! Sheesh was I ever getting frustrated! Caribert tried to help...but my computer illiteracy was seriously getting in the way. That was a piece of cake!

Thanks again!

Jen