So Good, So Good, So Good! Realtime trip report

Travel discussion for St. John
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

AHHHH the St John money shot never get tired of seeing that :D especially when it's zero here. I may try a live trip report in May as our villa has wifi. Our group will think I'm crazy if I do. Seen the lunar eclipse last night not a cloud in the sky here.Keepem coming :D :D
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

AHHHH the St John money shot never get tired of seeing that especially when it's zero here.
Me neither Captain. I know that those shots are not the most imaginative because we have all seen them hunderds of times but seriously, I never fail to gasp when I see that view. My STJ photos from our last visit live on my screensaver at home all winter long and it helps....it really helps.

Yesterday was relaxed and perfect. As is our habit , we were up and out early, early enough to have Hawksnest to ourselves for a couple of hours.

About 11 there was starting to be a crowd. I'm not complaining tho....for the love of God it's 9 degrees at home. I think I can cope.

Once again Shipwreck Landing for lunch, which we never get tired of. We all shared the deviled crab app and I had blackened grouper so fresh you'd swear that it just jumped onto the plate. Instead of the dill sauce they usually serve it with they let me have the mango chutney that is normally served on the curried grouper. The sweet and spicy was so good. 86 ordered the special salmon with lime butter.....excellent, #2 the curried grouper, ditto, and #! thoroughly enjoyed his hot dog.

Fun fountain next to Shipwreck:

Fortified, we took a little drive around, stopped to say hi to TuTu then back to Gallows to relax and snorkle. Still no octupus. If we get to 24 hours to departure without finding him we may consider cheating and asking a resident to give us a hint. Or maybe we'll wait until next year.

Not starved because of our satisfying lunch we made no reservations for dinner and just walked to town to look around and ended up grabbing a quick bite at JJ's. The wings were great and the margarita was pretty good too.

We missed Ruth and Ron at ST. John Spice but stocked up on Cruz Bay Grill Rub, Blind Betty and golf balls.

I promised to report about Waterfront Bistro. I could be mistaken about where I thought it was. Where Panini Beach was there was what looked to be a private party. My secret agent sleuthing skills aren't what they used to be since the little numbers came along. I'll take another look see and report back at a future date.

These moon shots aren't the best but I was fairly pleased at how they turned out with no tripod. Sad to say we slept through the eclipse.
Moon rise:

Moon set:

Last edited by Agent99 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShipwreckPat

Post by ShipwreckPat »

As a new member of this forum, I want to thank you for
the beautiful photos and the reminder of why I live here. I promise today to stop and smell the coconuts!

Pat
PS We had to ditch the pewter when some very wise person advised us that we could be killing our visitors with
some sort of reaction with anything acidic. Still use them for desserts though. Have a great time.
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Agent 99..I saw an Octopus at Hawksnest...I certainly wasn't looking and had never seen one before, but there he was in all his glory. Maybe he's still there! This was about 2 weeks ago.

Your pics are great!
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

What beautiful night shots! I did not get any pics of the eclipse either. I actually went out to try but it was sooooo cold I could not stand it.

Lovely beach pictures too. Thanks!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Another great day.

Good luck with your octopus search. I've never seen one either. Saw signs (pile of shells) a couple of times, bit no octupus.
janet
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Awesome pics! I love Hawksnest. Glad you are having such a good time.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Ahhhh... another perfect day in paradise! I don't know how you're managing to do this live report, but I have to say I truly appreciate it and am thoroughly enjoying it! Love the pictures! The moon pictures are great, with the clouds and all! Thanks!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I am really enjoying reading your live reports and I love the pictures! Ice storm should be starting here any minute, so I really appreciate seeing beautiful St. John pics!!
Image[/url]
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Wow KY you can't catch a break first tornados and now ice.
Tom
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I love your pictures and reporting! I saved the Trunk Bay one as my desktop. My husband had a snowy winter scene on there and I had to change that!
augie

Post by augie »

Great stuff - I keep checking back to read the next installment - thanks!
Come see us!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

waterguy wrote:Wow KY you can't catch a break first tornados and now ice.
No kidding! It's really starting to come down. Winter in Kentucky :roll: :roll: :roll:
Image[/url]
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

agent 99
Great pics, Help me with the moon shots. Tried to take some on our last vacation & last not in chilly MD..can't get anything. What kind of setting do you use?? Loved yours!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

We missed the eclipse, too. But, the moon woke us up in the morning, shining through our window before the alarm went off.

Wondering what you all did today...look forward to the next installment.

By the way, does the tooth fairy come to St. John? And, how much does a tooth go for these days?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.