Can they just do this??

Travel discussion for St. John
Ina

Post by Ina »

LysaC wrote:Cancel?!! Don't cancel just cuz the view might be different. Ask for a discount but DON'T cancel!!!

It's a magical island even if you stay in a studio apartment for the duration.

Did you guys rent a car? Ask the agancy to pay for a car rental! Honestly, if you see St John the right way i.e. exploring the island and visiting several different beaches, you won't spend that much time in the villa.
:lol:
studio appartment.... :D I would not mind, but he would :lol:

We somehow do spend a fair amount of time in the villa. The view is also important because of his hobby, astronomy. Have to be in exactly the right place to see the right stuff and so on. Last time I went along he sent a telescope ahead to the postoffice. Unfortuanately it arrived in St John on the day before we left. Something went wrong there. :wink:

Thats a good one, car rental. Did rent a car, but I am not sure where.

I am sure things will work out. I STILL don't understand that they can just do this. It just does not seem right.
Ina

Post by Ina »

California Girl wrote:Ina - Ask Caribbean Villas about Bayview.
By the way... Lysa might not have such a bad idea about the car. They have their own rental fleet.
:wink:
Unfortunately Coral Bay is not an option. Though we ended up there quite a lot last time I was there, he keeps thinking it's too far away from everything. I disagree but it's not my call this time.

It does look great though! :lol:
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Oooooooohhhhh. Astronomy. Ok, I get the "view" thing then.

Youse guys are in a real pickle.
Bluwater

Get a hold of the contract and read it

Post by Bluwater »

Can your dad fax you the contract?

This is starting to become a recurring theme. I can't recall if the other situations I've read about have been through this agent or others, but I know I have read about this same thing happening with other STJ villa travelers - recently. I'll try to research the other posts and see if there's a common theme here in terms of the agency.

I guess you have to take the agency's word that it was the owner....but I suspect this happens more because so many agencies list the same villa, don't have a central booking tool (or don't check it/update it) and the villa gets double booked across two different agents - and someone has to be cancelled :roll: .

I can see it happening easily - but the agency should be judged on how they handle it. If the agency doesn't feel really horribly and doesn't take care of you as though they feel horribly, then maybe it happens too much with them and they should not be considered for future bookings. Sounds like this one remains to be seen.

Also, the "whoops, we quoted you the wrong rate" has also popped up recently on another post. I don't think it was this agency. Eventually, after a little pushing back, that poster received an email that the agent would honor the misquote - very good business.

In the case of the owners wanting the villa for themselves, that's nice - but you have a contract and you've already spent money that you cannot recover. I think you are right to stand your ground :twisted: .

The agents earn a % commission off of the rental - some as much as 40% of your rate. So, the agency may be able to afford to knock off a hefty % of the rate for another villa that may be more expensive - bringing it in line with the rate of your original villa.

I would not settle for the agency just looking for another villa at the same price as the original villa if none of them compare in amenities and location. The agency may just have to "eat" this one.

If it wasn't the agency's fault and the villa owner is at fault, that owner can work something out with the agency that keeps the agency whole.

Unless the langauge in the agreement allows the agency to do this, I would check out whether this qualifies as a material breach of the agreement, for which you can be compensated - in case it comes to that - which I'm sure it won't :? .

Good luck!
Bluwater
pswlrw

This happened to me recently, too

Post by pswlrw »

I had booked 2 villas sided by side and one became "unavailable" because the owners decided to come down during the time I had booked. I have to say that Destination St. John was awesome! Laura was very empathatic and worked tirelessly with me to find another nearby villa, even though it was through another agency so she lost her commission. She also gave me a discount on the villa that I am still renting through her. So, I guess it does happen but as Bluwater said, it's how the agency responds that makes all the difference. I was very happy with the result.
Paula

2catlimit

Try this place

Post by 2catlimit »

Hey, that really stinks that they would do that to you. Check out Lost Horizon http://www.greatcaribbeangetaways.com/lost_horizon.htm
A little farther from town but stunning and a really nice area. The view alone is worth it. I know it's above the price range of Seawatch, but this site http://www.viviun.com/AD-3143/
is a rent direct from the owner and it looks like it's quite a bit cheaper, maybe bringing it into your range. According to a rental agency site (Great Caribbean Getaways) it shows as available for your time frame.
Hope this helps.
Kathy Henion