Can they just do this??

Travel discussion for St. John
Ina

Can they just do this??

Post by Ina »

I was wondering if anybody else has had the same experience.

We just booked a villa through an agency. Everything was ok, the dates were booked, and the plane tickets have been bought.

Now suddenly the villa rental agency called saying the deal was off, because the owners of the villa decided to spend those weeks we originally booked in the villa themselves.

Can they just do this after the villa is booked???

problem is, the villa is booked from december 30th to januari 14th, try to find a villa with the same specifications and budget for that date!

As the plane tickets have been booked and paid for, they cannot be changed or cancelled. At least not here in Holland.

has anybody have this happen to them, I just cannot believe that owners can suddenly decide to bump you out, after you have booked and paid the deposit.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Did the villa agency attempt to accommodate you in another villa that they manage? Also, did you receive a contract from the agency when you booked?

I'd be very interested in knowing the name of the villa/agency that you are working with.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Ina

Post by Ina »

liamsaunt wrote:Did the villa agency attempt to accommodate you in another villa that they manage? Also, did you receive a contract from the agency when you booked?

I'd be very interested in knowing the name of the villa/agency that you are working with.
Its Caribbean villa's.

My father, who lives in the usa, did the actual booking. So I am not sure about the contract thing, if that is what they normally do then he must have received one.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I would INSIST that they find you comparable accomodations.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Your Dad should have received a rental agreement in writing from Caribbean Villas when he sent in the deposit for the villa. Have him look at the paperwork and see what it says about rebooking (I've not rented from CV, so I don't know what their contract looks like). The only way I can imagine that they would have no responsibility to you is if your Dad had not paid the deposit to the agency yet. Are you certain he paid the deposit?

Please keep us posted on how this situation gets resolved.
Ina

Post by Ina »

he paid the deposit and also had the contract.

They did offer a different one, but not within the parameters of our selection.

But the point of my question is: can they do this? so that means that if you have a villa booked (often way in advance) and the owners suddenly decide they want to stay there in your time frame, you are never certain of your reseervation? That does not seem right to me.

Nothing in the contract about this. It did state they could put you up in a different villa if the one you booked was damaged.

eh. what a mess.
NoWorriesMom

No, they cannot just do that!

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Hi! If your father has a contract and has paid the deposit (that is, they received the deposit and then sent the contract) then you must insist they find you other comparable or better accomodations. How unfortunate! Hope it gets resolved to your liking!
chattycat

Post by chattycat »

No Ina, it does not sound right to me. The owners (at the very least) should make sure you are set up in another villa that is comparable. Sorry, but I think that is downright rude of them to do that to you. I really hope it works out for you though. Keep us posted!! What villa was it anyway?? :?
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Hi Ina,

I have been thinking about this some more. Could you post the name of the villa your Dad rented? That would give us an idea of what your budget/amenities wish list is. Maybe someone will know of a comparable villa through another agency that's open on your dates, and you could book with someone else. Just a thought.

I remember a trip report on the old forum about a month back where a honeymooning couple got bumped out of the villa they rented, and they ended up in a place without a pool even though the original villa had one. I'm fairly sure they rented through CV also.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

I am very sorry to hear of your experience. I believe since it's a privatey owned villa, the owner can exercise their right to move in when they want to. I have a friend who manages and sells properties on St Thomas and she's been in that dilemma. She found a suitable alternative for the renters. It shouldn't be your problem, it's the villa companies. The villa company should come good with finding a comparable replacement, knock some money off something more expensive if they have too, just make it right!!! Then they should drop the rental from their line-up.

Personally, I've just received news that the property we picked out and rented online and sent a credit card payment for was calulated incorrectly on the company's online system. The difference is way over 1000USD and I'm still steaming. We rented it over a week ago. Just got the "oops" email yesterday afternoon from them. So, the search continues for us.

Honestly, I think it's easier to find a needle in a haystack then to rent a villa in St John. I've learned a lot these past few months. Who returns calls, who doesn't, who blows you off, who really cares about your business.

Anyway, heading off to Jimmy Buffett tomorrow...hitting the road for Boston to taken away to that one particular harbor...that puts a smile on our faces...
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Berlingirl...we skipped catching Buffet at Great Woods this year. Why? We are trying to catch him IN VEGAS in October!!!
Ina

Post by Ina »

It was SeaWatch.

There has been some more communication, it's now not entirely clear to me who screwed up, CV or the owners or both. The story is vague. Somebody did scre up though. Big time.

Anyway, CV is trying to find us another villa. Problem is, the time frame (30th december - 14 january), the budget, the area, and especially, it has to be one with the same kind of view, and there are not alot that have that kind of view, a more than 180 degree view from high up. And if they are, they are not available or way over budget.

He's working on it, spent yesterday until way past midnight looking for other possibilities so as not to have to cancel the plane tickets and such. Such a let down. :cry:

I'm going to stare at the webcam some more :lol:
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Cancel?!! Don't cancel just cuz the view might be different. Ask for a discount but DON'T cancel!!!

Even if you don't ned up in a comparable villa in just the right spot or with just the right view, you still GOTTA GO!

It's a magical island even if you stay in a studio apartment for the duration.

Did you guys rent a car? Ask the agancy to pay for a car rental! Honestly, if you see St John the right way i.e. exploring the island and visiting several different beaches, you won't spend that much time in the villa.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Ina - Ask Caribbean Villas about Bayview. I've got it reserved for next May. It's not as fancy or new as Sea Watch and it doesn't have a hot tub, but oh the view!!! 280 degrees! It looks over Coral Bay on one side and the BVIs on the other side. Since it's managed by CV it may not be such a difficult swap... unless it's already rented for that time.

http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/bayview/bayview.html

Good luck!

By the way... Lysa might not have such a bad idea about the car. They have their own rental fleet.
:wink:
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I ran your dates through Caribbean Villas availability calendar, and they have other villas open for your dates. Have you looked at these three: Orchid Villa, Surfside, and Splash? They've all got three bedrooms, pool, and AC. Splash is down on Great Cruz Bay but the other two are up--and they all have views. Perhaps the agency could give you one of their available villas for the price you negotiated for Seawatch.

Don't cancel! You will get this straightened out.