VI Stores Prepare to Pack Liquor for Airline Check-In

Travel discussion for St. John
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

From today's STJ Source:
"Nicholson said that the territory's retail businesses could take a hit from the new regulations prohibiting liquids in carry-on luggage. She said that most passengers carried on their perfumes and liquors bought at the territory's duty-free stores to prevent them from breaking.
She said that stores will have to improve packaging so shoppers can put their liquor and perfume in their checked luggage.
Sara Tieben of A.H. Riise's advertising department said Friday that perfumes are packaged well enough to go in checked baggage. She also said that the store is providing more packaging material in the cardboard boxes used to carry bottles of liquor. She said those boxes of bottles can be checked as baggage.
Caravelle Hotel on St. Croix made a quick response Friday to the fact that people can't carry liquid and gel products by coming up with an honor bar where guests can help themselves to products that run from deodorant to toothpaste."

Here's the full story:
http://www.onepaper.com/stjohnvi/?v=d&i ... 1153541842
Bluwater
Barb

Re: VI Stores Prepare to Pack Liquor for Airline Check-In

Post by Barb »

Bluwater wrote:From today's STJ Source:
"Nicholson said that the territory's retail businesses could take a hit from the new regulations prohibiting liquids in carry-on luggage. She said that most passengers carried on their perfumes and liquors bought at the territory's duty-free stores to prevent them from breaking.
She said that stores will have to improve packaging so shoppers can put their liquor and perfume in their checked luggage.
Sara Tieben of A.H. Riise's advertising department said Friday that perfumes are packaged well enough to go in checked baggage. She also said that the store is providing more packaging material in the cardboard boxes used to carry bottles of liquor. She said those boxes of bottles can be checked as baggage.
Caravelle Hotel on St. Croix made a quick response Friday to the fact that people can't carry liquid and gel products by coming up with an honor bar where guests can help themselves to products that run from deodorant to toothpaste."

Here's the full story:
http://www.onepaper.com/stjohnvi/?v=d&i ... 1153541842
So I gather the liquer stores are packing them better than before & I was thinking of bring a small check bag that I would put some old beach towels that I have & wrapped the box with it & put in a garbage bag??? Do you all think this will work or over kill? Bluwater you answer my question about how I could carry everything in a carry on earlier on.I figure out how to do it but now I am out of luck lol I guess not any longer darn. :lol:
Barb
A Dream can be only a wish away
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I wonder if one solution for those who bring down frozen food could be that you pack a log of bubble wrap, then use it to wrap the bottles and check your duty free in your (now empty) food cooler. John and I have packed bubble wrapped wine into our checked bags in the past and have not had breakage...yet.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Reef Madness

Post by Reef Madness »

Canada has already loosened its restrictions on “Duty Free” liquids in carry on baggage. I am sure the same will apply in the US once the outcry reaches the right places.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... y/Business
Marcia
Amy

Post by Amy »

We just got back from an 8-day trip to STJ, and I had taken a soft-sided cooler and some bubble wrap to pack my rum bottles. Worked great! As we collected our luggage back in Philly, we saw a sad cardboard liquor box with a big dent going around the carousel, and the strong smell of rum--poor people!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

did you check the cooler or pack it in something else?
Amy

Post by Amy »

Yes, I checked the cooler after putting it into a vinyl bag. I think the fact that it was soft-sided actually helped to cushion the bottles, and the bubble wrap worked great, too.