Beach Security

Travel discussion for St. John
jdbcypresstx

Beach Security

Post by jdbcypresstx »

Is it normally safe to set a towel or blanket down on the different isolated beaches with items left on them without someone walking off with everything while we snorkel? Not expensive items but sunscreen, sunglasses, snacks, etc.
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

I'd say that it's safe. We've never had an issue with any items being stolen. Even when we've left cameras with our "stuff". However, we don't leave money or cc cards though when we're snorkeling. No use tempting fate.

Just my opinion, but I feel safer leaving things on the beach than in the jeep!

SarahD
[/quote]
bert

Post by bert »

I have never had a problem with thefts from the beaches. A good rule of thumb is to take only whose valuables to the beach that you absolutley need - car keys, driver's license, a little cash. Minimize the risk.

peace.... bert
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

If you bring snacks, I would DEFINITELY put them in something the mongooses (or is that mongeese :? ) can't get too. When we were at Waterlemon, my sister and I sat not far off from the shore watching them rip through my other sister and her husband's food. We cracked up the entire time.

She had been on the forum and been forewarned but still decided to try it :?

We have never had a problem with theft on the beaches of STJ. One one trip to Virgin Gorda, my mask and snorkel were stolen while we hiked through the caves. Fortunately, mine was the cheapest. They must've liked the color because everyone else that left their gear there had REALLY nice snorkels and masks. The thieves were nice enough to leave my flippers.

nothintolose
Bob & Anita

Beware of Bob and your Caribs.

Post by Bob & Anita »

It may not be safe to leave Caribs in the cooler if Bob is around - just kidding :wink: . We have always felt safe leaving our stuff on the beach.
Bob & Anita
Carolyn

one more thing to look out for...

Post by Carolyn »

ANTS!!!!... ick...we had sandwiches and beverages in a soft sided cooler and knew enough to raise it off of the ground and we would usually use a tree limb, which worked best, but at one beach we were close to some large rocks so we perched our cooler kinda on this raised rock and when we returned the ants had covered our cooler and blankets, etc...they were tiny but plentiful! They hadn't gotten to the sandwiches yet, but it was enough of a scare to remember forever that a high rock is not the same as a tree limb.

We have snorkeled many of the beaches in STJ and never had anyone bother w/ our other stuff! Just use all the normal precautions already mentioned and you ought to be OK.
patr

Post by patr »

Ditto all of the above,
We have never had any problem. We always take a cooler w/pockets that have normal beach accessories, sunglasses, sunscreen, camera, etc. We try to put it in a place where we can keep an eye on it.

Like previously stated, not much cash, absolutely no credit cards, ID, etc.

I think most of the beachgoers are people very much like us. Not looking to loot others, but merely enjoying the beauty the island has to offer. 8)
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~