Snorkeling Pelican Rock

Travel discussion for St. John
KenJ

Snorkeling Pelican Rock

Post by KenJ »

8) Has any one out there tried snorkeling out to Pelican Rock on the East End?? Seen it on the map but haven't yet tried it. Hice coral? Strong currents?Thanks...
NoWorriesMom

Pelican rock.....

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Hi! I remember a good trip report with photos of snorkeling at Pelican rock, and I remember it because one of the pics was of a really cool looking shark! Go to the old site and do an archive search; you should be able to find info there!
Happy traveling!
fran

Post by fran »

Put Pelican Rock on your list of "must snorkles"! The coral and fish were awesome (I swear the cuttlefish lined up for their photo-ops!). Be warned, however, that the landside aspect is less than appealing...
fins-up fran
KenJ

Post by KenJ »

Thanks for the info. We'll be there April of "07. I tried to do a archive search on the "old site" but couldn't get it to work for me.
NoWorriesMom

SORRY KEN!!!

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Since the archive search isn't working for you I'll tell more of what I remember from that post. The family stayed in a house above those waters and snorkeled Pelican Rock many times, kids included. So, as long as water conditions are good shouldn't be a problem current-wise or otherwise :D Have fun!!
KenJ

Post by KenJ »

Thank You , sounds like it's something we'll be checking out.
jmq

Post by jmq »

That was probably my trip report. We stayed in Cameron Cove overlooking Long Bay and Pelican Rock. Here was the view of Pelican Rock from the villa.

It can be accessed via Hansen or Long Bay (beach = all rocks) and is a very worthwhile snorkel - no bad currents that I can recall. Rocks and coral make for interesting ravines and crevasses, plus we saw a shark there. JMQ

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide