Haulover north to Newfound Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
KenJ

Haulover north to Newfound Bay

Post by KenJ »

I have read on this site about Newfound Bay (East End) that the snorkeling was really good,but the only way to get there was by boat. Has anyone tried snorkeling from Haulover north around the point to Newfound Bay??It's kinda hard to tell looking at the map if this would be do-able. 249 days till wheels up...
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

In my opinion, no, you could not snorkel over there. It's further than it looks, and the currents can run strong in Drakes Channel. John and I have snorkeled over that way, and not only do you have the fact that once you move away from the reef and conch garden, you are basically looking at rock rubble and smaller fish, the truth is that the current can make swimming further easy on the way out...but difficult when you are trying to return to shore. I would guess that it took us 20 minutes to get back to the beach from where we turned around (a while past "villa retreat")
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
KenJ

Post by KenJ »

Thanks for the info..I'm a strong swimmer/snorkeler, but my wife is not..I think we'll pass on this idea!
Thanks Again
jmq

Post by jmq »

Ken - we snorkeled both Haulover North (excellent on a calm day) and Newfound Bay while on a daysail on White Wing.

Newfound is indeed the next bay over from Haulover and there is good snorkeling to be had there with very nice coral and tons of blue tang at the entrance to the bay and rays and turtles cruising the sandy/grassy bottom of the inside of the bay.

However as noted, it would a very very long snorkel with significant currents possible out past the Haulover/Newfound point. Might be an interesting sea kayaking jaunt on a calm day.

Also wonder if you can get down to Newfound via land now that the concrete road up past Sloop Jones is being extended out over to that side of the East End for future development.
JMQ
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide