Anyone ever struggled with ..

Travel discussion for St. John
ScottB

Traveling w/ friends

Post by ScottB »

We've gone to the islands many times on our own, and others times with friends. We have found that the best way to travel and enjoy the island with friends is to stay at different resorts. This way you can have all the "Alone" time you need. Of course you'll end up hooking up together for many day trips/beaches, and for several dinners and nights out. But by everyone staying on their own, you can get away any time you feel the need. Separate vehicles is a must, simply because not everyone wants to do the same things at the same time.
KPlumm

Post by KPlumm »

Hmmm, looks like a mix of opinions. Just like my mixed feelings!

Virgina-Gal, I hope that you get the chance to reconnect with your son. I also have a 21 year old son and I think I understand exactly what you mean. Good luck!
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

We have done both. I get a real blast from showing "virgins" the Islands. Plus, it cuts down on the cost so we can return every year, sometimes twice a year! :D
MarianneS

Post by MarianneS »

We have travelled alone to St John and with various family combinations. A few combinations worked great and others were disasterous! We love our time on the island and agree with other posters about the importance of privacy, not only bedroom locations but enough common areas to be apart as well, some like quiet reading time, others may like to giggle and talk, and each "group" definitely needs their own car, otherwise someone is going to be running the fresh air taxi service, as my dad used to say. Also, if meals are eaten in plan in advance, say at least the morning of, who does what and when. You never really know someone until you vacation together and hopefully it will be wonderful, otherwise pour yourself a nice, big liquid libation and listen to some island muic, after all you are in paradise!
Virginia-Gal

Post by Virginia-Gal »

KPlumm - thanks for encouragement. I think the most trying years of raising a child have been the last 4 years (18 - 21 years old)
Always dreaming about my next Caribbean vacation!
bert

Post by bert »

The most trying years of raising a child is the year he is currently in!

peace.... bert