Earthquake

Travel discussion for St. John
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

[quote="St. John Lover"]Are you recovered from the earthquakes yesterday Ruth? quote]

Well, unfortunately I fell asleep last night with the song "My (Sh)akey-Breaky Heart" in my head and it's been stuck there all day. Other than that, much better, thanks!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Sheesh Ruth, I had visions of hot sauces and such flying off of your shelves. Did anything like that happen? How scary.
Sunflower

Earthquake

Post by Sunflower »

Hi Ruth - glad you and everyon on SJ are OK today. What really worries and scares me is the thought of a Tsunami. I read in the VI paper yesterday how quickly they can appear. I actually thought about a tsunami when I was on island in July. Don't think I could get on high enough ground in time...scary.
StJohnRuth

Flying hot sauces

Post by StJohnRuth »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:Sheesh Ruth, I had visions of hot sauces and such flying off of your shelves. Did anything like that happen? How scary.
Nothing flew off the shelves or broke. A few items jiggled off the shelves, but we didn't hear that because we were across the street in the park by then amusing the police officers with our wimpiness. Not Ron(he "stayed with the ship"), just Alexis and I.

Regarding the tsunamis, what can you say? I never thought they were real until a year ago. I have always loved living near the ocean and always will. I would greatly prefer if there was no tsunami anywhere ever, but it's not really up to me!

And speaking of ships, Marcia and all, we bought a boat in June. It's a sailboat and it has a mast, sails ("roller furling" even!), an engine that works, no giant holes (patched or otherwise) and has never been under water for any length of time, as far as I know. You're probably wondering how much we've used it. Well, we borrowed a dinghy and went out and sat on it for a half an hour a few weeks ago and started the engine. (That's how I know for sure that it works.) I ordered several CD's on learning to sail. We never needed to know that before. We can see the boat from the front part of the building where we are now working on building a new kids' store. It's only a little speck on the web cam, but we look at it through our BINOCULARS every now and then.
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

>>I ordered several CD's on learning to sail. We never needed to know that before. We can see the boat from the front part of the building where we are now working on building a new kids' store. It's only a little speck on the web cam, but we look at it through our BINOCULARS every now and then.<<

Ruth, I hope you get to actually sail it soon! Sounds like fun to me. As many sailors as you have around there, surely someone would help teach you guys!

SarahD