Travel discussion for St. John
New England

Le Lapin

Post by New England »

Has anyone stayed there?
NCSue

Le Lapin

Post by NCSue »

Yes - stayed here. It was great! There are 2 masters - both on the top floor - equal in size. The 2 bedrooms on the main floor are also equal - two twins. The pool was great - there's a hammock outside by the pool under a little pergola. I would definitely rent this house again!
Pickle

Le Lapin

Post by Pickle »

My husband and I have stayed at Le Lapin a couple of times.

Pros:
1. The view of sunrise and sunset.
2. The breeze (that could get quite windy sometimes…)
3.The feel of openness – Even when you are inside the villa in the great room you don’t feel cooped-up due to the sliding doors and windows with views towards the north (mountains with dots of villas), east (Ditliff Point and beyond), and west (St. Thomas).
4. The pool – It is fairly large and in the sun all day long until sunset. There is a shaded area with a hammock on the pool deck.
5. Hearing the surf from Hart bay.

Cons (sort of...):
1. The last quarter of a mile (or less) of the road to the villa is somewhat steep, very uneven and bumpy. We had a flat tire once on the way back to the villa. We had gotten used to driving that part of the road and were a little careless. If you drive carefully, you’ll have no problems.
2. The last time (June 06) we stayed there the view towards St. Thomas was cut nearly in half due to the overgrowth of the vegetation.
3. The gusts –The first time we stayed at the villa it was very windy/gusty for some reason (no storms were around) especially at night. I had a hard time sleeping due to the howling wind and the constant rattling/banging of the shutters. We mentioned about the wind to the agency and they said it could get windier sometimes. The last two times we stayed there the wind was not as wild as it was the first time. In fact, it was very nice.

Hope this helps.
New England

Le Lapin

Post by New England »

Pickle and NC Sue,

Thanks very much for the info. Much appreciated. How were the beach supplies? How many chairs, towels, coolers and any kids' beach toys? We are going in Nov 06.

There are two families with a total of 4 kids ages 2,3, 6 and 8. Is the villa as kid friendly as advertised?

Hope I am replying the correct way....I'm a little confused on the "new" board.
Pickle

Le Lapin

Post by Pickle »

There were at least 6 beach towels the last time we were there. I remember there were 8 during our other stays. You are not supposed to take regular towels to the beach (assuming that’s still true) so make sure to ask the agency if the villa has plenty of beach towels for you all to use.
There were a couple of large and small coolers and several beach chairs (maybe five or six?) but some might be falling apart so check them before taking them to the beach. I don’t recall seeing any kind of beach toys but my husband vaguely remembers a plastic bucket and shovel but he is not sure.
Although I’ve never stayed there with children, I can see that the villa could be considered relatively child-friendly. The last time we were there they’d even added a crib in one of the bedrooms on the main level.

About the child safety, I would be careful with smaller children around the stairs especially the one located between the two bedrooms on the main level. However, the only serious concern might be the pool. It starts out rather shallow but gradually gets deeper towards the other end. I’m not sure how deep but the water came up well above my nose (I’m about 5’ 5").