Other SAFE islands

Travel discussion for St. John
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I was thinking of the Rum Point area as others have suggested. It sounds quite nice! And, forgive me for being cheesy, I really want to visit Hell. I think it would be a hoot!

I loved the idea of Cayman Brac but can't see us being patient enough for 3 plane rides. Way too long.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

We stayed on Grand Cayman in Rum Point a few years a go. We stayed at a beach front cottage called Gemini South. Here is the link to it (http://www.islanddreamvacation.com/home.html ).
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Ina

Post by Ina »

FlaGeorge wrote:We stayed on Grand Cayman in Rum Point a few years a go. We stayed at a beach front cottage called Gemini South. Here is the link to it (http://www.islanddreamvacation.com/home.html ).
that is really a cute place! Cayman Kai is a beautifull area by the way.

We stayed at the North Pointe condo's, http://www.caribbeantrip.com/nhotels/ca ... e/945.html

It got almost totally wiped out by Ivan, but they have been rebuilding and it is finished now. I would love to return.
FlaSteph

Post by FlaSteph »

After looking at the link Ina posted and the cottage FlaGeorge posted, it brought back so many memories.
I forgot about the blowholes...and you will love Hell! :twisted: Smith's Cove was something we read about in a travel magazine, and when we were there we were the only ones snorkeling...
so if you want to try something different that STJ, this is it!!
Just stay out at Rum Point! 8)
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

We went to Grand Cayman about two years ago and stayed on the 7 mile beach stretch. I was really disappointed as I expected a long expanse of beach. There were several places where there was no beach and we had to walk on hotel/condo property to continue. We wished we were on STJ the entire time!

However, that being said, I loved Rum Point and would have thoroughly enjoyed a stay in that area. We did not feel the snorkeling on the island was that great, in fact both my husband and I were bitten by fish while snorkeling out by the cemetary area - OUCH! I personally would not go back - JMHO.

Tracy
bill

other safe islands

Post by bill »

we have been to grand cayman several times. we always stay out by rum point in kayman kai. we rent the Garden villas. can't say enough about them. you are literally a few feet away from the ocean. nice beach, there is a pool shared by the other garden villas as well. check out the website for Kayman Kai, the Garden houses. good luck
jayseadee

SAFE islands

Post by jayseadee »

Hi,

Next to St. John, Bermuda is one of our favorite spots (also from Boston area). However, the season is quite short and not a good beach destination in late fall or winter.

Last year we ventured to the British Virgin islands. Spent 4 days on a chartered sail boat - doesn't get much safer than that; and then spent several days on Cane Garden Bay on tortola. Overall, a great vacation, but we were not comfortable driving as we are on St. John and taxi's could get pricey.

This year, we are trying Virgin Gorda, BVI. From most of my research, it sounds like St. John (small, good beach snorkeling). We are spending 6 days on VG and 6 days on St. John - just in case it doesn't measure up.

have fun searching - but you'll never completely give up on St. John.

janet
janet