Other SAFE islands

Travel discussion for St. John
LysaC

Other SAFE islands

Post by LysaC »

Hello all! Hubby says that after our fourth trip to STJ in December, we have to try another island.

Fine :x .

My main concern is safety. My definition of safety means being able to rent a vehicle and explore without having to worry about being mugged or shot or held hostage etc.

So far, I've read about Anguilla (seems too flat) and Barbados. Is Barbados safe for exploring?

We like our privacy, rent villas/cottages, like to snorkel, love the uncrowded beach (but are not sun worshippers) and the non-commercial aspect of StJ.

Where oh where can we go?

Oh and it can't be a much longer flight. Right now it's @ 4 hours direct from Boston to STT. we don't want to tack on more time than that. I hate wasting time on travel days.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Have you been to any of the "out" islands of the Bahamas? They are about the closest thing that we've seen that compares to the VI's.

The Abacos, Eluthera, Exumas, they are beautiful, FLAT, but the people are wonderful and they are very laid back.

We're trying to plan our 4th to STJ for this December. Would love to try something new again, but we need some R & R, and STJ fits the bill to a "T"

Happy planning!

Jan
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Hey Jan!

The outer islands of the Bahamas were my first though too. But, hubby runs a doggy daycare & boarding business so we only have a few windows of opportunity to go on vacation. The best time is right after Thanksgiving/before Xmas and the Bahamas would be too chilly.

The second best time for us to vaca is post summer/early fall but that's hurricane season for the islands.

I've also looked at St Maarten. Many people seem to love it!! Well, the French side anyway.

I've also heard thaty St Kitts is very lush and green. Is that true? Is it safe to explore?
Robin in NC

Can't recommend St. Martin when it comes to safety

Post by Robin in NC »

Lysa mentioned St. Martin. It's a very interesting destination, with lots to do and beautiful beaches. But, I keep up with it to a certain extent and crime is a continuing issue there. Not that I'd be afraid to go there at all, but it's nothing like the safe feeling you have on STJ. Go there, by all means, but not if safety is one of your concerns.

Robin
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

Anguilla (visited twice) and Grand Cayman (visited once) are both relatively safe islands. Both have excellent restaurants, beautiful beaches but the snorkeling/diving is better in Grand Cayman. Grand Cayman is more commercialized too. Both are relatively flat islands.
St. John Lover

Safe Islands

Post by St. John Lover »

We went to Anguilla and it was perfectly safe. We had no safety concerns strolling on Shoal Bay in the middle of the night with the full moon bathing the beach and us just about the only ones on it! :D

However, having said that, we've never been back whereas we've been back to STJ several times since then.

Pros & Cons. Anguilla's beaches are incredible and it is easy to find condos right on the beach. They do have villa rentals but not as extensive a selection as St. John. Their rental sites aren't as helpful as those on St. John. You could easily occupy a week there just going from one gorgeous beach to another.

However, I love snorkeling and the only good snorkeling I had was when I hired a boat & guide to take me out. It was incredible and the guide (I think his name was Lincoln) was SOOO kind--took me by the hand snorkeling & just showed me so many things I would have missed (& I'm a very experienced snorkeler!!) But really nothing much directly from the beaches.

The food was exquisite--incredibly talented chefs; great restaurant after great restaurant but more expensive even than St. John.

The water is just as beautiful as St. John but the island itself isn't. Arid and flat. Not those beautiful lush mountains.

The locals were very kind. Never really picked up any kind of resentment or attitude that you sometimes can on St. John. (Don't misread me; I've had wonderful dealings with locals on St. John as well).

So there's my 2 cents...
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

Well put, St. John Lover. I went to Anguilla on my honeymoon (1992) and 10 year anniversary. Unfortunately, Anguilla is sort of the new St. Bart's in terms of celebrities (Anison/Pitt, Jay-Z/Beyonce, etc.). There's now a golf course on Anguilla which 10 years ago would've been unheard of. The locals are very friendly too as St. John Lover stated. We'd drive by and the locals would wave at us. Anguilla seems more noted for its posh resorts: Cuisinart, Cap Jaluca, Altamer and Cove Castles...all very pricey.
fran

Post by fran »

I used to go to the Cayman Islands until about 10 years ago. The snorkling in Cayman is fantastic; the terrain is quite flat. On Grand Cayman you will find lots of international flavor, restaurants, shopping, and of course every major bank in the world. If you want to get away from it all, you could try Cayman Brac or Little Cayman. I am not sure how it works in STJ - in GCM you cannot give a job to an off-islander unless you can prove that there is no native Caymanian who can do the job. This means there is virtually no unemployment, therefore, very little crime. Hope this helps!
fins-up fran
Berlingirl

New island to go to

Post by Berlingirl »

Lysa...

As a veteran of many years in this travel biz...you've hit on a good thing on STJ and it's gonna be a hard awakening for your hubby...I think you already know you've got something good. Nothing else within 4 hours of Boston really comes close in the Caribbean for the time frames your looking at. Except if your looking at the BVI. That might work. Barbados is way too far out there...as is St Lucia and Antigua. You could possibly find your bliss in Bequia, St Vincent and the Grendadines...perhaps Dominica. All those are a good day plus from Boston. Those are all good maybes if you can do the time. Forget St Maarten...nothing but complaints...Anguilla is great if you have the $$$. Flat, great beaches, great food, cool accomodations...villas or high priced hotels, a few mid price range, but nothing I will stick my neck out on. My brother went last year for his honeymoon and loved it...big $$$. He stayed at Cuisinart. Turks is a good option...quiet, great snorkeling...lots of good feedback. Take lots of $$$. Schedules are the pits right now from Bos. Now if your looking to do all-inclusive, just veg...try Jamicia...it has a bad rep from years ago, but its a great couples place. Better yet, the Mayan Rivera, hour to 2 south of Cancun. People love it, we went last year and would go back in flash. Great people, choice accomodations and schedules not too bad from Bos. Hope this this helps.

Diane
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
Ina

Post by Ina »

grand Cayman has really great snorkeling from the beaches. The 7 miles beach area is very busy and commericalized. We stayed on the other part, near Rum Point. Its a very quiet and beautifull part of Grand Cayman. Hurricane Ivan did a lot of damage, but they seem to be back on track.

I have been checking out Tobago and Grenada, they seem pretty nice. Don't know if anybody has been there?
FlaSteph

FlaSteph

Post by FlaSteph »

Ina said:
grand Cayman has really great snorkeling from the beaches. The 7 miles beach area is very busy and commericalized. We stayed on the other part, near Rum Point. Its a very quiet and beautifull part of Grand Cayman.

I agree with Ina about Grand Cayman, and staying at Rum Point versus 7 mile beach.

I love the Cayman Islands until we went to STJ, and I told my husband that the big difference for me was the mountains that STJ offered and the Caymans do not have. Of course being from Florida, any chance to be near mountains is exciting, then add the beautiful Caribbean waters and I'm set!!
I would not discount the Bahamas in November as being too cold. I was there one year in January and it was cool, but not freezing!

Whatever your decision, have a great time!!
8)
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Bermuda would be my pick if not St. John. Its absolutely gorgeous plus very safe. A little too proper for my taste, but very nice.

On St. Martin it totally depends on where you stay.

Though I will say I've been to many islands and never truly felt unsafe. Sure on a few you have to be a bit more vigilant but let's face it even STJ has its criminal element.

I personally loved and felt totally safe in Negril, Jamaica. Though Jamaica probably has a rep as one of the least safe caribbean islands.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

You might want to consider the Cayman Islands. I have only been to Grand Cayman (the main island) but like the USVI – there are 3 islands (Grand Cayman, Little Cayman & Cayman Brac). I know that Grand Cayman is flat, but the people are so friendly. The Brac is the smallest of the islands – (not sure if it’s flat too). As for safety – it was never and issue.

Grand Cayman is the hub for the government, but you stay on the Northside or the East End – you’ll have the place to your self. I understand that Little Cayman & Cayman Brac are even more laid-back.

By the way – the snorkeling and scuba diving are some of the best I have ever done.

Good Luck
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Wow :mrgreen: ! You guys/gals are awesome!!

Well, I think it's obvious what I want to do but hubby thinks we should try something new. Whatever :wink: .

He's been to Negril (pre-me) and he really liked it but the reputation for crime has got me knockin' knees. I understand, though, that Negril is the safer portion of the island. And it DOES look absolutely gorgeous!

We actually considered the Mayan Riveira last year and then ended up...where?...St John! Heehee! My concern with Mexico is not being able to drink the water or enjoy the smoothies etc. Hubby has a very sensitive tummy with bad water (he gets a little sick every year in STJ)

We also considered the Caymans but have heard that the hurrican damage is still affecting them.

And when considering Mexico, Caymans, Negril....I have a feeling that we will NOT like the pushers and peddlers. We really like to relax on the beach. We don't go for a tan, we go for the entiore experience.

The BVI's might be a consideration. I'll have to look into that. Hubby will have to finally get a passport (lazy bum). Actually, after this year, he'll have to get one regardless, won't he?!

I appreciate the feedback on Angulla and St Maarten. I wasn't aware of some of those issues.

Can you tell that I'm very good at arguing against any other islands!?!

Just like the post from last week said...St John spoils you.

Ugh. Such decisions! Thank you all.

I'll have to print this string for future reference.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Bermuda is lovely - totally agree with Flip Flop. I have been there 6 times myself. But I don't think it would fit your bill Lysa. Villas to rent and practically non existant and no car rentals. However you do have mopeds there if you are willing to do that. There are some nice smaller hotels and guest houses.