Steve Simonsen 2018 St. John CalendarSteve Simonsen 2018 St. John Calendar

Latest Forum Posts (all forums):

Travel Specials:

Forum members on island:

Harbor Cam
Virgin Islands Webcams

Bolongo Bay

US Made / Assembled Vehicle (Jeep)

Moving to the islands, local news & issues, etc.

Moderator: The Mgmt.

US Made / Assembled Vehicle (Jeep)

Postby sublimaze1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:48 pm

I am planning to relocate to the USVI. It is near that time when my wife and I are pulling the trigger. I am purchasing a jeep (VIN:1C4HJWxxxxxxx) US made and US assembled.

(1) Is there a minimum amount of time I must have owned this vehicle to take advantage of any registration "discounts" - e.g. "if owned 2.5 years, no tax" etc.

(2) I have read of horror stories of the import, customs, inspection, registration, etc process. Is there a service that people have used to allow this headache to be minimal?

Re: US Made / Assembled Vehicle (Jeep)

Postby equineannie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:37 am

I lived on island before and the best thing I ever did was hire a facilitator to handle everything car. Even when registration was up for renewal I paid for the facilitator to handle it.It is burdensome and I imagine so soon after the hurricane it will be extremely difficult.With the upheaval from the storm, I am not sure who to point you toward. There is a woman, name sis Rachel, that is always mentioned on this forum. She has a private taxi service that many people use. She would be an excellent source for you on island. If you are a diver, I could give you the name of my friends,a and former employer on St Thomas. They have been there for several years and know all the ropes. My email is All the best, stay in touch!

Re: US Made / Assembled Vehicle (Jeep)

Postby adsjayhawk » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Do you have any contact information of a facilitator to get a Jeep shipped from the states registered, tags, etc..? We relocating to St John this summer and will be shipping two vehicles, at different times. I know I've read about services for getting the vehicle's "island legal" but I can't find the threads.

Return to U.S. Virgin Islands News & Relocation Forum