Moving to the VIs - a Dream or Reality

Moving to the islands, local news & issues, etc.
Villi

Moving to the VIs - a Dream or Reality

Post by Villi »

Hello to everybody! :)

My name is Villi and I am a newby here.

I am considering moving to an island (maybe to BVIs/USVIs, who knows :) )

I would like to speak to local people in order to learn more about life on these islands. Therefore, I welcome everyone who has an opinion whether it is indeed possible for a young girl with no obligations to move to the islands, of course legally.

Is it expensive living there? My idea is to get a decent job that will cover my everyday needs, to get a dog and live in a shed on the beach. As u see nothing fancy, do u think it can really happen :)

Many thanks for all the opinions and the messages in answer to my questions :)

Have a nice day full of shiny smiles!!!

P.S We can always chat on skype - mine is : mari_jaan
If there is a Will, there is a Way!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

In order to live in the USVI you will need a visa if you are a foreign citizen. It is just like the states.

I believe that the BVI require a visa as well, but may be wrong.
Cid

Post by Cid »

Hi Villi,

Welcome to the forum. I can't give you any specific advice, but anything is possible if you have a good plan. I don't know your background, but my guess is you should have some kind of restaurant or hotel experience before you move as those are likely the jobs that will initially be available. Everyone I have spoken to have also recommended having saved a lot before moving as it can be tough at first to find work, housing etc...Being young and enthusiastic certainly helps. I wish you luck...
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
Villi

Hi :)

Post by Villi »

I will definately come with all my savings. However, what do you understand of "having saved a lot"? Can u, please, point out a sum that u think will be enough to survive a month while looking for a job.

About the restaurant & hotel experience, well I have a solid working experience. In this particular field I had a very "amusing" business venture, since I decided to open my own pub for the season last summer. It turned out to be a little disaster. Anyway, my own slogan is "If there is a will, there is a way" and as u have mentioned it can be possible if u are armed with a good plan, and back-up plan as well ;)

About the BVIs - I really hoped that there should be no viza required since Britain is a member of the European Union, however it turns out that the BVIs have a completely different government :( ...
I have a lot of time to plan and think about my "moving to..." so .... no worries :)

Lots of smiles and warm sun rays today!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

If you are talking about STJ, I would recommend that you come to the island with at least enough money to cover your expenses for 3 months. It has been a while since I have rented an apt on STJ but I would say that you would need approximately $5000.00 with you.
That will take care of things like first and last month's rent, security deposit and then a month or 2 of rent.
Rent is expensive and there are no sheds on the beach, so you may have to adjust your expectations a little. Dependig on where you find a place, you may need a car, or you can hitch hike, which many people do.

While I enjoyed my time living in the USVI and highy recommend it, you may have trouble getting a visa (not that I have experience, I have just heard), but there are many islands in the caribbean that may work for you.
I would check out the rules maybe in St Martin or Anguilla, you may have an easier time.

Best of luck!
Villi

Post by Villi »

Dear XislandGirl

Thank you very much for your advice and experience-sharing. Your help is, indeed, appreciated!

This is exactly why I want to speak to people who are aware of the factual situation on these islands. You see, what I want to do is not only move somewhere. I am in a search of a life - away from the big industrial, corupted and malicious people. I am so tired of hipocracy and business intrigues that I simply want to go where nature manifests and I'll have time for philosophy, books and children-care. I need a simple life, a decent job and a lot of time to devote to others (especially little ones who need attention and affection). And since I grew up near waters and spent my entire life near the sea, I believe that an island is a good choise for me.

And if somebody can give me advice or help me find My Pardise place, I'll be grateful for life.

Once again Thank you!
rockcity#1

Post by rockcity#1 »

Hello Villi,
Well the previous post are correct, you will need a visa to enter the US Virgin Islands (though difficult, not impossible!)The British Virgin Islands may pose a challenge as well.

If you have experience in the marine trade/ship chandling that may make a work visa to the BVI more realistic.
The Virgin Islands is expensive to live in! it would be wise to have some sort of financial plan in place before you go, or better yet a job waiting for you?

I lived in the Virgin Islands (st.thomas) for the last 25 years before moving stateside (oklahoma). Trust me when I say you need a solid financial plan before you travel.

Goold Luck in all you future endeavors!!
islandsun

finding a job in the Virgin Islands

Post by islandsun »

Thats a great move if you are planning to settle in our beautiful Virgin Islands as I did few years back. However, amongst other things finding a good job is a little hard in the Virgin Islands. But there are few resources available that can help you land on your dream Virgin Islands job. The best i would recommend is www.career.vi, which is basically a job website for the Virgin Islands. I think you can find a lot of resources on this website.

Good Luck in your move!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

If you have a European Union passport you should look into the islands that are still associated - St Barths etc.It would be easier.