Bringing processes meat from US into USVI

Moving to the islands, local news & issues, etc.
Frenzyquilter

Bringing processes meat from US into USVI

Post by Frenzyquilter »

We are coming down to St Thomas next Friday for a week of sailing in the BVI then 6 nights on St. John. Can we bring processed meats (cooked turkey bacon and summer sausage, for example) into St Thomas from the US or is that prohibited? I've read the regs and it seems to read that we can but would like to be sure before we pack meats to ship.

Thanks! Looking forward to sun, warm weather and beautiful water!

Sue, Vamcouver, Wa
Joppa

Re: Bringing processes meat from US into USVI

Post by Joppa »

You can bring it to St.Thomas. Lots of us here bring coolers with food. I am thinking that if your sailing from St.Thomas you shouldn't have a problem at all. If you are Ferrying to BVI's and starting from there it may be different. I'm not sure though.
Frenzyquilter

Post by Frenzyquilter »

Thanks for the info. We are flying in to St Thomas then ferrying to Tortola where we'll pick up the boats to charter. Any ideas about where I can find info on what we can take on the ferry?
lprof

Post by lprof »

The following is from: http://www.bvitourism.com/entry-requirements
I am not certain that it is up to date.
We traveled to the BVI in November but did not take food. I think I saw a sign somewhere saying unopened packages of meat with the USDA seal of approval were okay. It may be that the self-sealed meats are not allowed. If I had your question, I think I would call and inquire.

Customs - Importation of Food
Yacht owners, charter guests, and visitors may bring food into the British Virgin Islands. For the time being, however, because of the worldwide threat of Hoof and Mouth and Mad Cow Disease, a law is in effect which bans the importation of any meat products unless an application is submitted to the Department of Agriculture for approval. Approved permits cost $25.00. For more information, please call the Department of Agriculture at 284- 495-2532. Visitors coming from the North America with meat products for consumption during their stay will not have to fill out the application, if they are bringing less than 40LBs of meat.

Good quality, fresh foods are available in the British Virgin Islands from several grocery stores and provisioners on a year-round basis. BVI import duties charged on food products range between 5% and 15% of the invoice value.

For more information on import regulations and tariffs, please contact the BVI Customs Department Phone: (284-494-3475). Open from 8:30am to 6:30pm

Also, you might want to post your question on the BVI forum...
http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... um.php?f=6

Good luck and have a wonderful trip in the islands!
... no longer a stranger to paradise