Just can't make a decision. Help!!!

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Connie

Just can't make a decision. Help!!!

Post by Connie »

It's getting down to the wire now. We want to use our frequent flier miles and it's time.

We just like to hang out, snorkel, check out some history and hang out at those cool bars.

Help me!

What would you do:

Spend a week in Turks and Caicos and then a week on STT.

or

Spend a week in one of the out Islands and then a week on STT.

or

Spend 2 weeks on STT and be able to get to other Islands, such as STJ and BVI's.

Husband doesn't care :lol:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We have visited Provo, T & C for work and vacation. We like it and are seriously considering it again for our next winter vacay.

Some thoughts -

The islands are flat and dry. The water is shockingly beautiful, as are the beaches but the interior of the island is dry and dusty.

The interior is commercial with a 4 (or maybe 6) lane highway. It is much more of a "real" place where people live and conduct their lives than STJ and that means it has a different look than STJ - big box stores, strip centers, etc. (away from the beach) This is on Provo. There is absolutely nothing on the out islands.

There isn't a town like Cruz Bay, at all. This is one thing we really missed while on Provo. No driving to town and strolling around. There is a fun grouping of bars and restaurants at the Turtle Cove Marina. Otherwise, you will need to drive everywhere.

We found the residents to be super-friendly. It was a lot of fun to go to the bars and restaurants and learn about their island. They were, in our experience, very welcoming.

Great restaurants but the food is expensive, so is the booze.

Tons of on the beach or just off the beach accomodations.

Not many off-the-beach snorkelling options. In fact, I can only think off one spot off of Grace Bay Beach to snorkel. Don't know about the other beaches.

Let me see if I can find my trip report....
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Here is a link to Iowaguy's Provo trip report -

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... d8d6770d73

And mine from 2008 -

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... ight=provo

I am familar with some of the properties on Brace Bay Beach if you need any information.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Thanks PA. I appreciate all that information. I had read Iowaguy trip report, but hadn't seen yours. All the pictures of the water are just beautiful, but I think I will really miss those mountains.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Connie wrote:Thanks PA. I appreciate all that information. I had read Iowaguy trip report, but hadn't seen yours. All the pictures of the water are just beautiful, but I think I will really miss those mountains.
I know what you mean. We enjoy just gazing at the views too.
melwill530

I would do 2 weeks on STT

Post by melwill530 »

:) We love STT. There is a lot of history to explore. You can tour the Haagensen House and Ft. Christian. Lots of good restaurants there. You can also easily book a ferry ride to some of the BVI and tour them at your leisure. We have toured the BVI both by ferry and by a speed boat trip. Had fun on both and saw different aspects of the islands both ways. You can also look at the options (depending on how much money you want to spend) offered by the seaplane company. We have done the seaplane tour but you can also hop via sea plane to other islands. STT also has some very beautiful beaches. Coki is a local beach with local flavor and there is some pretty neat snorkeling there not to mention drink vendors and locals. Coral World is next door. I know some people don't like Coral World but it has some interesting information on the local sea life and some interesting demonstrations.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Logistically, it would be easiest to combine STT with another USVI or BVI.

Why not a week on STT and a week on Virgin Gorda?
janet
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Went to T & C in 1999 when it was relatively undiscovered. The ocean was beautiful. The land was not nice and we did not leave the resort. That is why I have not been back. And I hear it is a lot more crowded now and expensive.
Connie

Post by Connie »

jayseadee wrote:Logistically, it would be easiest to combine STT with another USVI or BVI.

That's just the thing. There are SO many options.

It's been Sanibel + STT
STT + STJ
STT + Tortola
STT + Turks and Caicos
STT + Jost Van Dyke
STT + Eluthera
etc.

I guess I'm just going to have to narrow it down some.

I just don't want to be disappointed with that one week.

Use to STT and comfortable there, so that's not the problem.

Keep the ideas coming!

Why not a week on STT and a week on Virgin Gorda?
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I love the VI but also think its good to try something else every now and then. Using FF miles is the perfect opportunity.

You mentioned Eleuthera and T and C---I have been to both. I would choose the Turks and Caicos, if it were my trip. Eleuthera is beautiful, but didn't have quite enough going on for me.
---Jim
sherban

Post by sherban »

Connie- I also like to try different things from time to time so I would try T&CI....

Check out this blog if you haven't already...these guys moved to TCI a number of years back and they have an interesting blog...

http://2gringos.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I am hearing a lot about St. Croix lately, and I am thinking I might like it. I might try it out if I had an extra week. I like Jost, but I am pretty sure I'd lapse into a coma on day three. That being said, the other BVIs are quite nice, as well.

Actually, though, I've always said if I had two weeks to go to the Caribbean that I would probably do some time in Puerto Rico. That is one place I haven't made it to that I'd like to see. I'm not sure if I need to go for a week, but I think I'd like it.

I'd also like to go to Cuba, but we can't do that. :cry:
augie

Post by augie »

Right now I still can't get enough of STJ, so until that changes, it's one less dilemma for me!

That being said, the one other island I've come very close to pulling the trigger on visiting is Dominica.

I've visited there twice on cruise stops, did an amazing hike through a rain forest to a waterfall the first time, and dove some of the most beautiful and pristine reefs I've ever seen the second.

But getting to St. John is easy compared to getting to Dominica (which may have a lot to do with how unspoiled it is).
Come see us!