The Festivus Thread

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I agree with X (mostly because I know what's best for me).

We have to be at my parents' house of madness on the 24th, 25th and 26th. It's only 10 minutes away, but dragging the 8 year old away from the Wii she doesn't know she's getting should be fun. Throw in an over-stimulated 16 month old and you can get the picture of my desire to go hide under a rock.

Add to it 2 more kids and one less dog (his portrait hangs over the living room...I am not kidding) and we're in for a 4-alarm holiday disaster. Noise, noise, yelling, sniping, noise and insults...should be fun.

Hallelujah, holy shit...where's the Tylenol?
-Clark W Griswold
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

pipanale wrote:I agree with X (mostly because I know what's best for me).

-Clark W Griswold
You are my favorite...just don't tell Ruth, MaryBeth, Marcia, Pete, The Ayers, well, just don't tell anyone :wink:
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Festivus is not a time for niceness.

Until you pin me, nobody goes home!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

pipanale wrote:Festivus is not a time for niceness.
as proven by XIG above. that's it, I'm stomping my feet, huffin, puffin, and I'm outta here!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :evil: :!:
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

mbw1024 wrote:
as proven by XIG above. that's it, I'm stomping my feet, huffin, puffin, and I'm outta here!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :evil: :!:
Take me with you!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

mbw1024 wrote:
Hey MB - At least you got a mention. I got nothing. Uninvited again....... :wink:
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Two years ago I received a pair of those slippers with the shag carpet on the bottom that you are supposed to wear while dry mopping your floors at the same time. Really, mom, really????
djmom

Post by djmom »

One thing that we put our foot down on is that we will be in our own home on Christmas. Non-negotiable. My parents were a little miffed the first few years, but now they tell me they are so glad we started our own traditions.

And then we started going to St. John over Thanksgiving. Again, they were disappointed but got over it soon enough.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

greyhoundmom wrote:Two years ago I received a pair of those slippers with the shag carpet on the bottom that you are supposed to wear while dry mopping your floors at the same time. Really, mom, really????
From 1990 through last year, I think there were 3 Christmasses where I didn't just either toss or donate everything my mother gave me. She seems to have my size confused (easy to happen...seeing how it's been steady for only 20 years now) and buys me things like skinny jeans or XXL shirts.

That...or they "give us points" for their timeshare that we're never allowed to redeem.

I'd almost welcome shag carpet slippers...
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Pip, why is it that the people who should know you best are often the ones with the ridiculous gifts that you wouldn't re-gift if your life depended on it?? :lol:
toni

Post by toni »

First off, I admit to getting uptight around the holidays if I'm hosting. Anyway we rotate the Christmas dinner between 3 families. The one family can NEVER give a head count by the day prior to the event. :( So you never know if it's going to be just the BIL/wife or also her mom, her kids and her grandkids, a total then of 6 extra. How do you plan gifts/food if you don't know who's coming? :?

Three years ago when it was our turn to host, not only did all of them show up(didn't have a count again prior) BUT she calls that afternoon (dinner is at 4, she called about 3) and said her cousins were in town visiting and could they come too???? :shock: 4 MORE! 4 Complete Strangers sitting around while the rest of us opened gifts. I got off the phone with her and IMMEDIATELY opened the wine!

All I ask is that I know ahead of time so I can be somewhat prepared-I don't like surprises!

And speaking of Festivus, did you see this in the news?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/1 ... 96292.html
Last edited by toni on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Sniping you say?!

I'm not sure if you guys make my troubles seem minor or major... but it is rather humorous reading... this thread, so I thank you for a few moments of laughter! :lol:
'Tis the season... happy holidays!
Last edited by lprof on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

-Clark W Griswold

Best holiday movie of all time. Think I'll go home and watch it tonight.

Oh where to start. I come from a divorce/remarried mixed family where everybody is bat shit crazy. Usually the night ends up w/my Mom totally drunk, (whom the rest of the year is fine) making someone cry by bringing up a dead relative, bad choices they've made, and my sisters and I yelling at her to go to bed. It's our family tradition I guess.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Ahh, the airing of grievances! I'm going to continue the anger song based on our holiday fun this year...

On the [somethingth] Day of Christmas, my in-laws said to me: "You've hosted every holiday for at least ten years now and always do all the shopping/cooking/cleaning so we can all show up and eat your food, drink your wine and spill on your carpet... so as a Thanksgiving appetizer we have brought this bag of Tostitos!"

Which led to my next verse:
"On the next day of Christmas I said to my DH 'I'm not hosting your family for Christmas!'"
bevm

Post by bevm »

PA Girl wrote:
bevm wrote:I'm convinced he does this stuff on purpose so my mother won't want to come here for Christmas...
Oh, I don't doubt that one bit. Bad behavior is his way of controlling the situation by playing the victim. He can make everyone else look "bad" as in "see, they think they are better then me because they don't hog down shrimp and don't wear headphones at the table" which, of course, you are better then him because you don't act like a fool.
He's just such a douche bag! (I'm sorry! But that's the best terminology I have). I just found a birthday card for him with a little girl with her finger up her nose and it said, "Celebrate your birthday with your usual style and class!". He didn't even know I was making fun of him....Moron.
Oh, and one year he chucked a toy at my nephew and hit him in the forehead. Made him cry and bleed so he's banned from my brother's house. So guess who's left? That's right me and Crash and a shitload of alcohol... :wink: