let's play get to know the forum

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

Someone else want to post some clues since I already did (and discovered that I am a terrible liar!)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

According the game rules, Dusty Pete was supposed to jump in here with his truths and lie.

I've played a lot, so I'm just lurking.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Dusty Pete

Post by Dusty Pete »

OK, I'll jump in.

1. I attended a one-room country school, grades 1-6, for nine years.
2. Gene Autry's horse, Champion, died on our farm.
3. As a little girl, I used to go with my mother to watch for enemy aircraft.
4. The closest we ever came to a celebrity-sighting on St. John was when we "just missed" Joey Buttafuoco.
loria

Post by loria »

i'm going to say #1-
9 years seems a tad long IMO
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Dusty Pete

Post by Dusty Pete »

No, number 1 is true.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

I'll guess #4 I'm guessing you did see Joey Buttafuoco.
Dusty Pete

Post by Dusty Pete »

No, number 4 is not the lie.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

[quote="shoemak38"]Round #2 for me

1. I've flown in the back of a Huey helicopter in the mountains of Honduras.
2. I gained 15 pounds in five weeks while doing an airfield obstruction survey in northern Italy.
3. I drove a 125 CC motorcycle from Vermont to Fort Belvoir Virginia in one day during the month of April.
4. I repelled 100 feet out of the helicopter in Germany.

quote]

I realized I never finished giving the obscure details of my Army facts.
When I was in the Army reserves back in the early 80s the Army built a road over the high mountains of Honduras from the Pacific to the Caribbean. We were up about 6000 feet in April at the end of the dry season. They were two things about those two weeks that I remember the subsistence farmers would set fires to the underbrush at night you see this ribbon of light on the mountains around you. This was their way of controlling forest fires before the start of the next rainy season. The second was how all the men walked around with machetes on the back roads. This area have little electricity or any other development.
My second piece of trivia during my active Army we were flown down to Italy to a city called Vicenza (about 30 or so miles from Venice) to do an airfield obstruction survey (tells aircraft during their approach of all the tall things that may be in their way). Every day for lunch we got to sit with Italian officers while they were served a five course meal (our cost was a dollar each) along with a half bottle wine and then we went out to the bar where I received my introduction to the appreciation of amaretto.
I received my schooling as a topographic survey or (takes into account that the earth is round versus the normal surveyor that presumes the earth is flat) school was in Fort Belvoir Virginia back in those days and I needed a ride on my days off. The only time I was nervous was doing the Beltway and Friday afternoons. I used to drive up to my grandparents who lived in a place called Collins gap Pennsylvania.
My last fact was going to be true until we discovered that if the helicopter had any problems the first thing they would do is cut the ropes of the people repelling out of helicopter. A group of us army guys got into mountain climbing when we were in Germany unfortunately the summer 78 was a bad one for climbing in the Alps as for telling you what I climbed I can only tell you about what I was going to climb. Mount Blanc the highest alp is a two-day climb a couple hours from the summit we had to turn back as a member of our team developed altitude sickness and telling you I was going to climb the Matterhorn just doesn't cut it if you didn't actually do it. I did climb some other mountains but nothing famous by American standards.
As you can tell from my stories the Army for me was a good time versus the sacrifice that today's soldiers are required to give to serve their nation.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Dusty Pete wrote:OK, I'll jump in.

1. I attended a one-room country school, grades 1-6, for nine years.
2. Gene Autry's horse, Champion, died on our farm.
3. As a little girl, I used to go with my mother to watch for enemy aircraft.
4. The closest we ever came to a celebrity-sighting on St. John was when we "just missed" Joey Buttafuoco.
I think #2 is false!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Dusty Pete

Post by Dusty Pete »

You got me, lprof. It was really the Lone Ranger's horse, Silver. The Lone Ranger was playing at our local county fair when Silver got sick. They didn't want a sick horse on the fairgrounds, so they took him to my parents' farm. He died right after he arrived, probably of colic.

1. When I was three, my mother was hired to teach in that one-room country school. She said she would take the job if she could take me along. So I had three years of "pre-school" before I started first grade.

3. This was back in the early 50's, probably at the height of the Cold War. My mother was the local Civil Defense officer and one of her duties was to periodically go to a particular site and watch for enemy aircraft. Keep in mind, this was in northwest Illinois.

4. Of course this is true. Who could make that up? Your turn, lprof.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Dusty Pete wrote:You got me, lprof. It was really the Lone Ranger's horse, Silver. The Lone Ranger was playing at our local county fair when Silver got sick. They didn't want a sick horse on the fairgrounds, so they took him to my parents' farm. He died right after he arrived, probably of colic.

......This one was a guess... kind of one of elimination! Growing up in the country near a state fairgrounds, I can understand the reasoning... guess I thought "Silver" lived on... Hi-Yo Silver! Away!

1. When I was three, my mother was hired to teach in that one-room country school. She said she would take the job if she could take me along. So I had three years of "pre-school" before I started first grade.

......I am familiar with those one room schools; my husband attended one... he is a PhD and eventually made his way to Harvard. "One on one" teaching and life skills have value in all times; those teachers gave so much.

3. This was back in the early 50's, probably at the height of the Cold War. My mother was the local Civil Defense officer and one of her duties was to periodically go to a particular site and watch for enemy aircraft. Keep in mind, this was in northwest Illinois.

.....I have an aunt who did a similar watch at night as a volunteer during World War II in coastal Virginia.
I didn't think you were old enough to have been there for those. :wink:

4. Of course this is true. Who could make that up? Your turn, lprof.
Great stories, Dusty Pete!!!
lprof

Post by lprof »

Since I am a repeat offender here, I’m titling my final round... “just the facts…” (All are true except one!)

1. I am a fast, but careful, driver. My fastest speed was over 100 miles per hour on a curvy two-lane road. My driving skills have often been praised by the old guard.

2. A couple of years ago, my husband and I drove from Florida to Canada in our BMW Z4. That car from that state raised a few eyebrows at the border, but something about my passport sent up an alert that put us inside the Canadian Immigration Office very quickly.

3. Lie detectors are not as common as they once were, yet I have reviewed crimes where they were pivotal in solving the crime. I can say that I have sat for one of these tests and finished with “inconclusive” results!

4. A lifelong dream was to be a successful undercover detective; it took a while to reach my goals within the Gainesville Police Department, but I finally achieved my goal 16 years ago. Solving mysteries excites me, and I am convinced that I am fairly adept at remembering the components that piece together the clues. I’m not too good with a camera, but that isn’t always necessary. I don’t work now, but I did correctly ID one forum member of mystery before I retired… but I’ll never tell!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I think #4 is your lie. :wink:
lprof

Post by lprof »

California Girl wrote:I think #4 is your lie. :wink:
Honestly, I am terrible at lying!!!
Only part of only one sentence is a lie...
"it took a while to reach my goals within the Gainesville Police Department, but I finally achieved my goal 16 years ago."

1. While a senior in high school I liked to keep up with the guys and hit that speed... only once. I now drive much more sensibly.

2. Several alerts to my husband to remember to sign our newly renewed passports didn't make me remember to sign mine! After our car was searched and I signed my name, we were allowed to go on our way.

3. I have served on juries where the lie detector results played a role in our decisions pertaining to armed robbery and stolen cars.
An office where I worked was robbed; the employees were all given lie detector tests... my results were inconclusive. (I didn't do it!) :roll:

4. Nursing was my chosen career path and I have never worked in any area except health care... but I would love to have been a cop!

That is about all the boring stuff I have to offer... looking forward to the game continuing as I love learning about everyone else.

Once again... blame it on the wine! I should have listened to my horoscope. :oops:
Last edited by lprof on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

I was thinking #4 was true, :oops: