Capital One Venture card vs US Bank FlexPerks card

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Beth Cruz

Capital One Venture card vs US Bank FlexPerks card

Post by Beth Cruz »

Does anyone use either of these? We have had Citibank for years with AA miles. Now it is almost impossible to redeem miles and they have upped the number needed.
Appreciate any input.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I have the capital one works great for me as you book your flight and just refund the money for the miles you need no looking for filghts that you can get on. I dropped my citi bank AA card for the same reason
Tom
toni

Post by toni »

Mini thread hijack-sorry!

I haven't had an American card in a while, but what we did like about it was the ability to upgrade to first class by using a certain number of miles. You had to buy a regular ticket and then you could turn in the miles to upgrade. Do any bank cards that are not hooked directly to an airline offer that? For a long distance flight (like Hawaii) that was a great convenience.
Pia

Post by Pia »

We love, love LOVE our Capital One Venture card - 2 points for every dollar you spend and can be used on any airline with no blackout dates and no limited number of seats that can be "sold" (you know like the airlines - "sorry no longer available") I really love that the miles used are directly related to the cost the airline is charging for the ticket by adding two zero's meaning if the airline ticket is $299 you use 29,900 points, if the ticket is $670 you use 67,000 points etc - we have used it for 3 tickets so far and it was an instant purchase :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Pia wrote:We love, love LOVE our Capital One Venture card - 2 points for every dollar you spend and can be used on any airline with no blackout dates and no limited number of seats that can be "sold" (you know like the airlines - "sorry no longer available") I really love that the miles used are directly related to the cost the airline is charging for the ticket by adding two zero's meaning if the airline ticket is $299 you use 29,900 points, if the ticket is $670 you use 67,000 points etc - we have used it for 3 tickets so far and it was an instant purchase :)

Pia
I need to check this out. We have an Amex Plat card that works the same way. I run a huge amount of business expenses on it, which we then use to fly to STT but not every vendor/supplier we do business with accepts AMEX.
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

Thanks everyone. I have decided to apply for the Capital One Venture.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I forgot to add that on the Capital One Venture Card - no foreign transaction fees so no additional charges when you use the card at Soggy Dollar - now that's a perk :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
lprof

Post by lprof »

Pia wrote:I forgot to add that on the Capital One Venture Card - no foreign transaction fees so no additional charges when you use the card at Soggy Dollar - now that's a perk :)

Pia
Both of us recently got the offers for the venture card in the mail. 1.25 points for dollar spent. Maybe we aren't big enough spenders!!! We may go for it anyway as Delta is not very useful for cashing in points these days.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

There is a Capital One Venture that gives 1.25 and one that gives 2 per dollar. There is a $59.00 fee with the latter that is forgiven the first year.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Beth Cruz wrote:There is a Capital One Venture that gives 1.25 and one that gives 2 per dollar. There is a $59.00 fee with the latter that is forgiven the first year.
Thanks! That explains it. Other than American express I do not pay fees.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

Received my Capital One Venture card yesterday. Must start shopping! 25,000 bonus points if spend $1000.00 in the first 3 months.
mindehankins

Re: Capital One Venture card vs US Bank FlexPerks card

Post by mindehankins »

How did that work out for you, Beth? I FINALLY signed up for this account (our first travel reward card) and am curious if we'll have enough on it to pay for our April flights.
As soon as it comes in, I'm using it to book a January trip that will have lots of firsts:
First time without Blaine
First time for my daughter
First time driving :)
Oh! I'm so excited! I'm getting a ticker!
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

We have capital one also and I've never paid for a. Ticket to STJ ! Another thing I do to earn is transferring by business capital one points to my personal account. I put EVERYTHING I can at my office on it. So...... I'm not only getting 2 for 1 points at home but also at our business and our to accounts allow transferring between the 2 so I really rack them up quick. I agree with Pia on the fact that I love just having to use the exact amount needed unlike the Bank of America card we had years ago that made you use determined amount regardless of price. I have 325,000 points right now that are burning a hole in my pocket lol! I'm ready to return soon. I could definitely be more aggressive with using my personal one for everyday things and may need to start doing that. Good luck to you and may your points pile up rapidly!!!!!
mbw1024

Re:

Post by mbw1024 »

Pia wrote:We love, love LOVE our Capital One Venture card - 2 points for every dollar you spend and can be used on any airline with no blackout dates and no limited number of seats that can be "sold" (you know like the airlines - "sorry no longer available") I really love that the miles used are directly related to the cost the airline is charging for the ticket by adding two zero's meaning if the airline ticket is $299 you use 29,900 points, if the ticket is $670 you use 67,000 points etc - we have used it for 3 tickets so far and it was an instant purchase :)

Pia
Pia, curious how this works exactly. You purchase a ticket with X airlines, using your card, for a purchase price of $299. Then when that charge appears you apply 29,900 "miles" to your account and that removes the $299 from your balance due? Is that right?
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I have the same card and yes that is how it works don't have to worry about black out dates or what airline you use.
Tom