Culebra or Vieques??

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
melmd

Culebra or Vieques??

Post by melmd »

Hello Folks,

I am sad to say that our family vacation next year will not be STJ. This is NOT by my choosing, but by the rest of the gang who wants to see new places (I know, what's better than STJ??)

So we are going to either Vieques or Culebra next winter and I am hoping some of you may have experinced either or both of those places and can tell me your thoughts.

What we love to do on vacation in order of importance: Snorkle, enjoy a uncrowded beach, eat dinners out (love all kinds of food), explore.

Saftey is very important to us since we will be travelling with small children and grandparents.

We will want a rental villa and a jeep.

Any advice, would love to hear the good, bad and ugly.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

John and I visited Vieques in November 2010. I did a trip report for the forum, here is a link:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... p?p=215850

We were only there for five nights, so it's really just a skim report, but it might help you a little bit as you decide.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
melmd

Re: Culebra or Vieques??

Post by melmd »

I'm bumping this in hopes that someone has been there recently. I am leaning towards Culebra for next spring. Any Help???

Thanks,
Me
Linward

Re: Culebra or Vieques??

Post by Linward »

We have been to both islands but not for ~5 yrs. Culebra has the better snorkeling of the two and a beautiful beach (Flamenco), but the currents are bad there. Viequez has a lovely bioluminescent bay.
Petty crime is a problem on both as is drug use. We would not return,
Life is an adventure.
Treasure each moment.