Your favorite summer Maine things to do

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Canoe the St John from Baker Lake to Ft Kent.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Chet wrote:Canoe the St John from Baker Lake to Ft Kent.
That trip sounds like fun how many days? Only long canoe trip I’ve done was from the start of Long Lake down the Raquette River to Tupper Lake in the Adirondack’s, we did in 3 days
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

dinner here this weekend

http://www.chaunceycreek.com/
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Wow - That looks really good. Since you are from Maine, we are heading that way to visit relatives in a few weeks. Our first stop is in New Hampshire then on to Wells, Maine to visit my aunt who is recovering from open heart surgery. We have not been to Maine in a few years so not sure where to get good seafood. I am not sure she will be able to go so our family will find something for lunch or dinner. In the past we have eaten at Billy's Chowder House and Maine Diner among others I can not think of. Any ideas for family of four, two kids 14 and 11. Unfortunately, we introduced lobster to our son when he was 5 in Maine and now at 14 we are in trouble - he eats alot more.
rImage
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Hawaii wrote:Wow - That looks really good. Since you are from Maine, we are heading that way to visit relatives in a few weeks. Our first stop is in New Hampshire then on to Wells, Maine to visit my aunt who is recovering from open heart surgery. We have not been to Maine in a few years so not sure where to get good seafood. I am not sure she will be able to go so our family will find something for lunch or dinner. In the past we have eaten at Billy's Chowder House and Maine Diner among others I can not think of. Any ideas for family of four, two kids 14 and 11. Unfortunately, we introduced lobster to our son when he was 5 in Maine and now at 14 we are in trouble - he eats alot more.
we live in NH, Maine is a hour drive we do a lot of day trips. When I kids were young they loved kennebunkport (about 20 min from Wells) love to eat here as they could walk to the dock and watch the boats unload
http://www.capeporpoiselobster.com/t-capepier.aspx

in NH go shopping here (taxfree)
http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=101
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Thanks that looks great. As for shopping not sure that time will allow this but Merrimack is where one of my cousins live so maybe!! Thanks.
rImage
Chet

Post by Chet »

shoemak38 wrote:
Chet wrote:Canoe the St John from Baker Lake to Ft Kent.
That trip sounds like fun how many days? Only long canoe trip I’ve done was from the start of Long Lake down the Raquette River to Tupper Lake in the Adirondack’s, we did in 3 days
2 1/2 weeks, 130 mi. We paddled, we camped, sometimes spending several days in one place. Fiddlehead fern and trout were on the menu most days.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
shoemak38

Re: Your favorite summer Maine things to do

Post by shoemak38 »

Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Yes we have been to Foxs Lobster 2 times. We are planning on stopping at the Nubble Lighthouse again as one of my favorite stops - may have to go get some lunch too just depends what time we get to the Nubble. You are definitely right with a great view. It has been years since we have been to Fox's do they have a bar upstairs now? Thanks
rImage
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

NO
its all tables now, getting a window seat is hard
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Just returned from Maine and New Hampshire. In Wells, we ended up at a place across from the Maine Diner on a Saturday night. My Aunt was going to take us to either Mabel's or another place I forget the name. They were booked up so we ended up at Bull n Claw??? The next day we walked the Marginal Way and then had some soup and appetizers at Barnacle Billy's - pretty good. We also had New England clam chowder at the Nubble Light house (fox's take out) which was really good. We also ate at Lords Harbor (I may be getting name partially wrong) but the meal their was excellent. I had a lobster roll which was wonderful and the rest of the family loved their meals. Just thought I would let you all know where we ended up in case anyone is interested. Everyone is always so helpful so hope this helps someone else.
rImage
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

you can get a 4lb lobster here for $45 :shock:
Cape Pier Chowder House Restaurant
79 Pier Road, Cape Porpoise Harbor, Maine
Last edited by shoemak38 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

summer is coming :D
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

shoemak38 wrote:summer is coming :D
Sure it is............... :lol:
Right after MUD season! :wink:
jmq