How to maximize return on the Capitol One Venture Card

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mindehankins

How to maximize return on the Capitol One Venture Card

Post by mindehankins »

Ours just came in, and our heads are spinning with ideas on how to maximize our return on the card. We plan on immediately paying all of our household bills, mortgage, car payments, insurance payments, gasoline, groceries. I'm going to pay all of our medical expenses with the Venture card and then Have my Flexible spending account reiumburse us and that'll get paid right away on the card.
We just had a thousand dollar plumbing problem fixed in our basement. If he'd waited two days to be paid, I could have paid for that with the Venture card.

I don't know why we didn't do this before, and I'm walking around doing face plants.

Maybe WE will be able to stay at one of the palatial places you all stay at, now that the plane tickets and jeep could be covered by the Venture miles.......
I'm so thankful you all have taught me sooooooooo much!

Any other ideas for maximizing points are welcomed!!!
indianaizzy

Re: How to maximize return on the Capitol One Venture Card

Post by indianaizzy »

My husband's Aunt and Uncle once built a new house on a credit card. They would just keep running it up to the limit and then pay it off. They ended up with enough miles to last a lifetime. Wish we could do that.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We have a different card (Amex Plat) and once in a while I will get an email about specials, like 4x points on grocery purchases so keep an eye out for any of those types of promos. I also pay our fed tax bills on it. I think there is a fee for that but I am willing to accept that.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

mindehankins wrote:Ours just came in, and our heads are spinning with ideas on how to maximize our return on the card. We plan on immediately paying all of our household bills, mortgage, car payments, insurance payments, gasoline, groceries. !!

Can you really pay your mortgage and car payments on this card? I use the Visa Flexperks Rewards card and can pay all the other things you mentioned, but not aware of a way to pay mortgage and car payments... hmmmm
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We haven't set up the accounts to do so yet, but the rep said that yes, you can. I'll report back when everything's set up and all bills are being paid through the card. Sounds too good to be true, but the card came very highly praised by people here. If you search the card name here, you'll see lots of positive feedback.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We charge everything that can be charged to rack up the miles, then pay it off at the end of the month. Gas, groceries, meals out, dry cleaning, all the day to day stuff, in addition to big purchases. I would love to pay the mortgage that way too. When we bought a new car, they let us put a couple thousand on our credit card. We always used FF for free flights on AA until recent years.

Like others, we have had Citicards for AA miles, but its been harder to use them, or we have to take 3 legs to get anywhere in the Caribbean, which we hate to do. Last time we flew AA from Tortola, we went to SJU, then MIA, but got stuck there and had to spend the night before flying home to Washington, DC. We prefer to just do 2 legs, if possible, as there may be less possibility of lost luggage and delays. Last year we took the non-stop from STT to Dulles on United and it was wonderful. I've been reading the other thread about Capital One with interest, as we are looking at switching to a different card too.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Minde... just wondering if you were able to set your new Venture card to pay mortgage and car payments? I saw your post on the other thread about hoping to use some points for your next tickets and didn't want to highjack that thread by changing the subject. Also... I'm so glad you enjoyed your mom /daughter trip. :-)
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

No, not yet. We've been putting everything except the monthly bills on the card, and paying those off, but Blaine wants to finish paying off the trip with Jillian before he sets it up with the mortgage and car payments. That should be early April. I'll try to remember to update this thread when the first month and gone through successfully, and the miles show up.