Florida Keys questions

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Lindy

Florida Keys questions

Post by Lindy »

Hi Forumites! Not making a trip to STJ this year....boohoo!!!.....but we will be visiting some friends wintering in Florida (Sebastian). We've talked about driving down to the Keys for a few days with our friends while there and would like to find reasonably priced accomodations for a couple days. I've done some searching thru VRBO and Home Away, etc. but most of those have minimum stay requirements of weeks or months. Do any of you have suggestions on how to find something a little better than a motel, but still reasonably priced? (Our friends are retired and VERY frugal!) It doesn't have to be right in Key West, in fact, I think I'd prefer to be a little removed from the hub bub there but WOULD like a place that would be within a reasonable driving distance so that we can play tourists there for at least part of a day. I'd also like to know if there's anywhere that I could get my snorkeling fix or see sea turtles, manatees or any other interesting sights. I've been to the Keys before but never really knew where to go other than Key West and a few hours of that is all I need. I'd like to see the more hidden treasures down there. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks!!!!
Connie

Re: Florida Keys questions

Post by Connie »

We did a road trip with our friends. We first stayed at pines and palms in Islamorda. We loved it. Clean and very typical Florida like place.

In Marathon we stayed at the Hampton Inn. Again, clean.

Both are right on the water.

We then drove down to Key West and stayed a couple days. We rented a house that we weren't too thrilled with.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Thanks Connie! I'll check out the two right on the water.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Hi Lindy-
I'm planning a Keys trip too. Planning to stay at Pines and Palms also, looks cute. And it has kitchens, which may be good for your frugal friends. I read there is a nice "beach" nearby and some decent snorkeling.
Tickerless :(
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

We stayed here last year for one night but booked it that day through vistor kiosk it was about 120 for the night. www.douglashouse.com
Tom
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Thanks GTGA and Waterguy!! I'll take a look at them.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

When are you going? We just got back from Marathon Key where friends of ours have a duplex they're getting ready to rent for vacationers. It's a nice place, new beds, furniture, etc. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths on Sombrero Road a mile down the road from the best beach in the Keys - you could walk it easily or drive if you prefer.

Let me know if you want more info. I have pictures posted on Facebook if you want to see it, but it's not quite ready to rent yet.... about a couple of weeks to go!
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Florida Girl - that sounds FANTASTIC - I would definitely like to see pictures! Right where we wanted to be too. We'd be going there sometime during the last week in February. More than likely it would be sometime between Mon to Fri so we wouldn't tie up a weekend. If the price is right we'd probably book 3 days. Our friends are renting a place for the winter in Sebastian and this would be a little "side trip" while we're visiting them. We all love to snorkle - any chance there's anything decent nearby? My girlfriend is also gaga over sea turtles so if there are any place to see those (or manatees) that would be icing on the cake. Thank you SO much! Let your friends know that some upstanding Forumites might be interested in their rental and we promise to leave it in better condition than when we came!
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Hi Lindy! The duplex will DEFINITELY be ready by February! In fact, the units will be ready to rent in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure what the cost is, but I know it's going to be reasonable! Every time we've gone down there, I take my snorkel stuff, but haven't gotten in the water yet! I'm told there's snorkeling from the shore, but it's not St. John in that respect. The water is clear and I saw Parrotfish in the Key West marina, and Sargeant Majors in the water at the Sunset Grille, and Tarpon and lots of other smaller fish in the water off the Sombrero Beach dock. I missed it, but an Eagle Ray swam past while we were on the Key Colony dock. I've heard there are turtles & manatees, but I haven't seen any yet. I know there are boat trips you can take out to various reefs for snorkeling, too.

Pictures of the duplex can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... eb940e252e (I hope this link works for you if it doesn't, let me know!)

I took the pictures before a lot of stuff was done, but the beds (new Simmons Beautyrests!) are all made now and have the cutest bedding! Pictures are hung and the furniture is re-arranged a bit. The master bedroom has a king, the 2nd bedroom has a queen and there's a queen fold-out in the livingroom.

I'll ask Julie if it's ok to give you her e-mail address and, I'll PM you with it.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Thank you so much Margo!! Now that Sandy is gone and we've got power back I can go back to researching the Keys. Give me a holler once you get an answer from your friend.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Lindy, I PM'd you her e-mail address. If you didn't get it, I'll send it again!

So how did you fare in the storm? Much damage?
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Thank you for asking! Please send again. I was offline for several days due to the hurricane so I don't seem to have received it for some reason. I'm in the Northwest corner of CT - about as far from the shoreline as you can get so we didn't have any damage other than losing power for 2 1/2 days. It was SO ironic because it hit exactly one year to the day since the freak snow storm here last year that ALMOST derailed my girl's trip to STJ. AA cancelled our original flight before the snow even started so we rescheduled out of NYC hoping that it would be just a few degrees warmer there so that there wouldn't be as much snow. We booked a limo for the normally 2.5 hrs ride to JFK and it took us over 4 hours due to the snow. That poor driver earned every penny because the roads were horrendously slippery with downed trees, spin outs and accidents everwhere!! We stayed overnight at a hotel near the airport and got out right on time with our rescheduled flight since there was very little snow right on the Atlantic. In the meantime, the husbands were stuck back in CT and most of them didn't have power, heat or water for over 5 days. We'd call each day telling them about how we'd just gotten back from the beach all glowy with sunburn....they sorta hated us for that!! Hahahahahahaha....serves them right for not wanting to come with us.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Now that's what I call making lemonade out of the lemons life sometimes hands you!! I'm glad you came thru this storm ok! It's still no fun not having any power, though!

I'll PM you Julie's e-mail address again! Let me know if you need anything else or any other info. :D
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Thanks, I got it this time. Yeah, no power sucks especially when you have a well, which means no water when the power is off. At least we had plenty of warning so we filled both bathtubs and could heat water for washing hands and use a bucket to flush the toilets. I have a gas stove so we could cook by flashlight. I feel bad for all of the people along the shoreline whose homes were severely damaged and they likely won't have power back for a while yet. What a mess!!
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

The duplex is on VRBO now if you want more info!
http://www.vrbo.com/443778