Official (!) Hurricane Sandy NJ thread -

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Anthony
Site Admin

Official (!) Hurricane Sandy NJ thread -

Post by Anthony »

You all know (I think) that the Garden State is my home state, and I know there are many, many NJ/NY/PA people here - so this post is going to serve to keep all of us up to date. I will post a lot of my favorite weather links ASAP. For now - check out this image from the UK Meteorological Service - they run one of the models that track storms, and their specific model takes this thing... straight over Brick!
brick.png
We are more than a little freaked out as my wife's family home is in Mantoloking and while it is closed up for the winter no one is actually there.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Re: Official (!) Hurricane Sandy NJ threas -

Post by Anthony »

Here are all the storm models at once - you can see that there are some that still forecast this thing to basically stay out to sea:

Anthony
Site Admin

Re: Official (!) Hurricane Sandy NJ thread -

Post by Anthony »

Forecast total rain fall for the next 5 days (image is too wide to post):

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/zoom/R ... ys_1-5.gif
Anthony
Site Admin

Belmar Beach webcam

Post by Anthony »

http://belmardays.com/belmardays-beach- ... the-beach/

Have to watch an ad first but good cam of the beach -
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Hope all your friends and family stay safe, Anthony.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

mbw1024 wrote:Hope all your friends and family stay safe, Anthony.
You too MB! What are you plans/preparation? Just staying home? Did people in your area do any boarding up of their windows or anything like that??
Anthony
Site Admin

Atlantic coast visible satellite -

Post by Anthony »

Here is a good image:

mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Anthony wrote:
mbw1024 wrote:Hope all your friends and family stay safe, Anthony.
You too MB! What are you plans/preparation? Just staying home? Did people in your area do any boarding up of their windows or anything like that??
We were in Maine but came home a day early to prep. Stores and banks around Freehold and down Route 9 have all taped their windows which I must say is alarming. You never see that in this area.
Last night Charlie decided to tape our upstairs windows in case something blew out while we were sleeping :roll:
We are as good as we can be here. Worried mostly about trees.

Are your people out of Mantoloking?
stjdeb

Post by stjdeb »

Sending prayers to all along the eastern seaboard, stay safe and be well.
Deb
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Nothing much in Central PA yet. My son's school cancelled last night for today. We are going to run a few last might errands (cat food and wine) and go to the office for a while.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

The coast from Pt. Pleasant down is all evacuated as far as I know. Everyone should be gone, but I think there are some people still in their homes. I am looking forward to hearing from some of my wife's family (cousins, aunts, uncles) just what is happening -
jmq

Post by jmq »

Some impressive wind gusts already here in central NJ. We are about 35 mi from coast.

MB I know that you are less than 20 mi. as the crow flies so you have to be feeling some big ones too, with worst yet to come.

Not really massive rainfall yet - big rainfall amounts fell already in greater DC area. Good news is that we havent had any soaking rains here lately (I am starting out with a dry sump pit) so maybe tree roots a little less likely to get ripped up and damage power lines.

Local news video from Asbury, Belmar, Pt Pleasant, Seaside Hts, and Long Branch showed a very angry ocean already up to boardwalks. Back bay at Sea Bright also up to Ocean Ave on this first high tide. Next high tide 8 to 9pm EST is also an astronomical (full moon) tide and will co-incide with height of the storm winds and storm surge so I wouldnt be surprised if the bay met the ocean on most of the barrier islands up and down the shore including Mantoloking. Farther south they just chased a TV crew off of LBI and had garbage trucks parked as blockades across foot of Rt 72 bridge to prevent anybody from going over. I image the Philly TV stations have some interesting video from LBI, AC, and Cape May.

Video from NYC showed water just over the seawall at Battery Park (tip of Manhattan) on this tide - they say wind pushing water into Raritan Bay and up into NY Harbor could make it 5-6 ft deeper at next high tide, which could bring water all the way up to Pearl Street (couple blocks from NY Stock Exchange).
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Nice update jmq - thanks! We saw some web video from this morning already on the Weather channel from Pt. Pleasant - it was not looking good -

There are some good pictures here from the NY Time readers: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012 ... l?hp#index
Pat

Post by Pat »

Very difficult to get information when all our neighbors at the shore have evacuated. Most of my local news is gotten from Capemayherald.com and details of our neighborhood are
sparse. We're on a part of the island that is only 5 blocks wide, sandwiched between the bay and ocean. Keeping our fingers crossed...
jmq

Post by jmq »

I was thinking I never remembered a tropical storm or hurricane ever making a hard left like this so that it hit completely perpendicular/head on to NJ coast. One TV weatherperson said it hasnt happened in 80 years.

Also really weird that temperature wise it was chilly yesterday and even now it is only 49 degrees here.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide