Official (!) Hurricane Sandy NJ thread -

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Xislandgirl

Re: Official (!) Hurricane Sandy NJ thread -

Post by Xislandgirl »

Friends in Montoloking on Bay Street are safe. They were under a mandatory evacauation but they stayed. :o Some damage but not terrible.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Xislandgirl wrote:Friends in Montoloking on Bay Street are safe. They were under a mandatory evacauation but they stayed. :o Some damage but not terrible.
Where exactly? Bay Avenue? (there is no Bay "Street"). There is complete devastation there - I am going to post a pic in the thread below. It is chilling. At least a dozen houses are completely gone. GONE.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Seaside Heights

Post by Anthony »

This is unreal -
Anthony
Site Admin

Mantoloking Road bridge, looking to the ocean

Post by Anthony »

This is all that is left - I am going to post another pic showing what appears to be completely washed away - you should be seeing a road, and then a bunch of homes, and dunes - and the ocean is usually not even visible from this angle.
mantoloking-road.png
Anthony
Site Admin

Possible houses gone in Mantoloking

Post by Anthony »

From the photo in the last thread, it is possible that the houses marked X below are gone, and the ones with a ? might be. This is just my own guess after looking at the photos - not trying to be morbid about this -
houses-gone.png
Here is also something just posted to Facebook (from a very reliable source):

"the latest: about 20-30 houses in Manto have been destroyed, including: the Laymon's, the Bowden's, Van Sciver Real Estate, P Van Sciver's home. On Bay Ave, wrecked or knocked down: D Loughran's, Barton's, Durlings, Mazeikein's in the bay. On the beach, from the barn house to about 5-6 houses north of Herbert, all gone. Sad, sad day for Mantoloking."

So yes, probably many more than marked in the photo.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

They are at 1404 Bay Ave. their grandson said they were fine, he spoke to them this morning
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Their last name is Colie
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I'm sorry, Anthony. I can't imagine how stressed you must be feeling. :(
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Xislandgirl wrote:They are at 1404 Bay Ave. their grandson said they were fine, he spoke to them this morning
Yes we know the Colies, small world. My wife grew up with a couple of them. Good to know they are fine - but you can see that there were literally 20 house or so, maybe more, wiped out literally hundreds of yards from theirs! The devastation on the Jersey shore is quite dramatic. They were lucky as were the other few people we know who stayed -
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

mindehankins wrote:I'm sorry, Anthony. I can't imagine how stressed you must be feeling. :(
Long day but I am fine - more worried for my wife! Hard being so far away and just having to wonder what the damage is. All we know is that the house is standing - but it had to have at least a couple of feet of water in the ground floor at a minimum. Maybe more -
We won't know anything until they allow people over there, which we are hearing may not be until Friday.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

What a small world! Their grandson works for my husband.
It is so very sad
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

I have to say one thing - there seems to be denial going around in the press and officialdom - this isn't a clean up and get back to normal in a week or two deal. The beach in NJ is gone for dozens of miles or massively changed. Highway 35 in Ocean Co. on the barrier island for the whole stretch is just about gone. Totally gone. It takes months in this day and age to engineer and pave a new highway that long. I am hearing massive amounts of track are gone on the N. Jersey Coast Line. I think everyone better hope for a mild winter, because this is going to be a long, slow, clean up - and an even longer re-build. This is the real deal, a real disaster - not just a storm or even a bad storm. There is no clean up and go back to work on the Jersey shore in a week or two. Let's hope there is a "season" in 2013.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Anthony Vermont is still recovering from last year's storm same can be said for the coast in Miss and Louisana. The press and officialdom I beleive wish to hide this fact as the fix will cost alot of money.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

jmq wrote:Boardwalk at Seaside Heights

JMQ that pic looks like it actually was from this storm!

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hur ... 2-20121025

BTW - I worked opening clams on that pier in the 80s - no lie.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I want to thank the Army Corps of Engineers in insisting that a jetty be put up the whole length of the NE portion of North Wildwood to Hereford Inlet.

Being an owner of a condo that looks North to Stone Harbor, our Association and others fought this jetty for 4 years, until we lost. This jetty saved our condos from total destruction. The closest condo is only 13 feet from where the ocean and bay come together, so we really thought the entire buildings would be gone. We fought that jetty because we would lose part of our view. How selfish is that when looking back.

I really feel for anybody that is located less than 20 miles North of us. I wish I knew away to help. Red Cross is on my mind now.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"