Simple appetizer recipes

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jdw

Simple appetizer recipes

Post by jdw »

I am having a reception for about 80 people and need suggestions for simple appetizers. I do not want to serve anything that has to be heated.

Thanks for your help!
Lindy

Re: Simple appetizer recipes

Post by Lindy »

Is this going to be a football bash or something more along the lines of a wedding shower? How fancy/expensive do you want them to be? How proficient are you in the kitchen and are you OK with some prep ahead of time (ie. toasting slices of crostini in the oven) with no heating required at the time of serving or do you not want to have to do anything other than open some chips or crackers for example? Plates and silverware going to be available or not? I have lots of suggestions but need to know where to start.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

My go to cold apps
1. I make 3 different wraps ( roast beef/roasted red pepper/spicy mustard; turkey/ cream cheese with dried cranberries; ham/Brie/thin sliced Granny Smith apples/ honey mustard) wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours. Then slice on angle to serve.
2. Cooked cheese tortellini on a toothpick with a thin slice of salami/pepperoni folded and put on toothpick. A bowl of marinara sauce ( cold is fine) to dip.
3. Pumpkin dip and cinnamon bagel chips are a good sweet one.
4. I make a huge cheese, olives, fruit etc tray on a huge ceramic tile from Home Depot . Cheap serving dish for a large crowd and always gets comments
4. Instead of wraps, tiny biscuit ham sandwiches are good.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Thanks for the replies so far.

Lindy - My husband is running for a political office and we are having a "watch" party at a small, local hotel. Our friends and family will gather to watch the results come in. Very small and simple. I will not have much time to prep before the party because we will be holding signs at the polls. We will have small plates, etc.

Thanks again.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

My go to easy apps
PM me for recipes

Asparagus and proscuitto brushetta
Blue Cheese Mouse with roasted red peppers on crackers
Antipasto tray
Tortilla wraps ( prev posted)
Meatballs in either (grape jelly and chili sauce) or (campbells golden mushroom soup) in a crock pot
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Really simple and easy appetizers can be purchased at Costco's if you have one
nearby. They do a great wraps platter as mentioned earlier and also salads and other items.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Here's my two cents - they do involve SOME prep ahead of time but I think most of it can be done the day before although I'd toast the crostini and bake any shells/crusts the morning of the event and not assemble until just prior to serving to avoid sogginess. If you have any teenage children or friends who are willing to help you out by putting things together and arranging tables while you are holding your signs, all the better.
------------------------------------------------
I agree with a variety of olives, pickled vegetables, cheeses and grapes arranged prettily, but then I like to add a few more substantial items in addition.

Spiced Nuts
3 TBSP peanut or canola oil
2 c whole blanched almonds or walnuts
1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/12 tsp cumin
1 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 TBSP sugar
Mix salt, cumin, pepper flakes andc 1 TBSP of sugar in a bowl large enough to hold the nuts. Heat oil over med. heat. Add the nuts, sprinkle 1/2 c sugar over. Saute until they become golden brown and the sugar carmelizes. Transfer nuts to the spice bowl and toss until coated. Store in an air tight tin.
-------------------------------------------------

Asparagus wrapped in Prosciutto - Blanch whole, med. thick asparagus spears until barely tender (2 to 4 min). Immerse in ice water to cool and then drain on paper towels. Cut paper thin slices of prosciutto in half lengthwise and use each half to wrap in a spiral around each stalk of asparagus. Keep covered and refrigerated until ready to serve.

Shrimp Cocktail "Pizza" - Soften enough cream cheese to spread 1/2 inch thick over the bottom of a large decorative glass or metal platter/tray. Top the cream cheese with a layer of good quality shrimp sauce spread thick enough with a rubber spatula to completely cover the cream cheese. Sprinkle several tablespoons of chopped parsley over the sauce. Top with a layer of small, precooked frozen cocktail shrimp (thawed) or canned shrimp or crab if you prefer (drained). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Allow to warm up 15 minutes or so to soften before serving. Serve with a variety of crackers to spread the mixture on.
-------------------------------------------------------
Roquefort with Toasted Walnuts on Endive - Wash several heads of endive( 2 to 3 depending on size, but smaller is easier to eat in one bite) and cut and inch or so of the stem end off to separate the leaves. Drain well on paper towels and refrigerate while making the filling. Preheat ove to 350 and spread a single layer of walnut halves over a cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes checking frequently so that they do not burn or get too dark. Allow to cool.

Roquefort filling: blend together with an electric mixer

1/2 lb Roquefort cheese (Bleu cheese or Gorgonzola may be used instead)
8 oz softened cream cheese
2 TBSP softened butter
1TBSP grated onion
1 tsp worcestershire
1 TBSP cognac, brandy or sherry
pinch of salt

To assemble: Place the softened cheese mixture into a piping bag with a large star tip and pipe a good sized star shape onto the middle of each endive leaf (or spread in a line with a small spatula). Top with a toasted walnut half. Arrange attractively on a serving plate/tray. Cover with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
---------------------------------------------

I also like to offer various toppings that guests can spread on crostini. To make crostini just slice the skinny French baquettes into slices just under 1/2 in thick. I crush a clove of garlic into a small bowl of olive oil and lightly brush each side of the bread with the oil and arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side until lightly browned. (You can also toast it on the grill for an interesting smoky taste, but you really need to watch it.) Allow to cool. Store in a large ziplock bag until ready to serve.

Suggested toppings:
Tomato bruschetta
White bean spread
Goat cheese with a dollop of fig preserves
Rare beef tenderloin sliced very thin with a dollop of Carpaccio sauce (google Martha Stewart's recipe) or pesto would work too. I've never tried it, but it would probably be great with some premade horseradish sauce if you want to cut corners.

You could also make a variety of savory and sweet fillings for the frozen premade tart shells - miniature quiches served at room temperature or my cheat version of chocolate mouse with a squirt of canned whipped cream topped with a fresh raspberry.

Cheat Chocolate Mousse: Whip a pint of cold whipping cream in a chilled bowl until stiff (no sugar needed). In a another bowl mix a large package of instant chocolate pudding with HALF of the cold milk called for on the box. Whisk until thickened and then fold the chocolate mixture gently into the whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to use. Note: I use real whipped cream because Cool Whip seems to get soupy too fast once mixed with the pudding. It also makes the mousse richer tasting so that no one would EVER guess that it's done with instant pudding!

Bake the shells according to package directions. Spoon the mousse into the shells and top with a decorative swirl of canned whipped cream and a fresh raspberry. I would assemble these within a few hours of serving so that they don't become soggy and, of course, keep refrigerated.

You could also use lemon curd topped with a slice of strawberry if you want to offer a variety of fillings.

Bon appetitt!!
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

Mini phyllo cups from the freezer section
They thaw immediately at room temp. They can be easily filled with , say, chick salad sprinkled with fresh dill, a jalapeno pimiento cheese, etc
Individual veg and dip cups are great -put the ranch dip in the bottom of a plastic non- stemmed beverage cup, then stand some carrot, bell pepper and celery sticks in!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I don't think I would try and cook food for 80 people on a day when I didn't have much time. You are going to be really busy with your politcal stuff and I bet lots of people are going to want to talk to you and your husband. You might not have very much time at all to prepare. Honestly I would purchase the food for an event like that. I assume you checked already with the hotel about bringing homemade food in?

If you really want to cook I would keep it very, very simple. Maybe a couple of dips that can be prepared in advance--google Ina Garten's sundried tomato dip and roasted onion dip, they are easy, can be made in large quantities and in advance, and they taste very good. Then have a big crudite plate, some cheeses, and maybe a cut fruit display. Crackers and chips for dipping.

Good luck! If it were me I would be ordering pizza :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

jdw wrote:Thanks for the replies so far.

Lindy - My husband is running for a political office and we are having a "watch" party at a small, local hotel. Our friends and family will gather to watch the results come in. Very small and simple. I will not have much time to prep before the party because we will be holding signs at the polls. We will have small plates, etc.

Thanks again.
so How did it go???? Did your husband win
jdw

Post by jdw »

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone and shoemak38, thanks for asking about the results!! I am happy to report that my husband is now the District Attorney in our county. I am very proud of him. He has worked hard for several months and it paid off. We will officially celebrate in St. John in two weeks!

Regarding the food at the election night party, two of my dear friends took charge on Monday and told me to just spend time on the campaign. It was so nice not to have to worry about it.

Thanks again for all of the help.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

That what friends are for. Good for them!! Congrats to your husband.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Small deli bread sliced. Spread limburger cheese on each slice. Top with a thin slice of dill pickle.
AH

Post by AH »

Congrats to your husband and to you. Are you now a First Lady of sorts? :lol: