Party Menu Critique

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Xislandgirl

Party Menu Critique

Post by Xislandgirl »

It is that time of year again! I always struggle with what to make.
30 people, all adults, 7pm on a Saturday night

This is what I have so far:
Cheese and dried meats and crudite
Buffalo Chicken egg rolls
Brushetta Trio; tomato basil, asparagus proscuitto, and Sundried tomato and mozz
White bean crostini
Antipasto squares; ham, genoa, pepperoni and provolone baked in puff pastry
Hot Spinach Artichoke dip
Turkey Swedish meatballs

Dessert will be homemade bark and canollis

Any other suggestions?
mbw1024

Re: Party Menu Critique

Post by mbw1024 »

I saw a really cool thing I want to try. Homemade marshmallow smores on a stick. Of course for 30 not sure you want to make homemade marshmallows. Anyway, it was a marshmallow on a stick (lollipop stick or long skewer) dipped in chocolate then dipped in graham cracker crumbs. Looked fun!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

What about a spiced nut mix? I did one with rosemary, salt, pepper, sugar for Thanksgiving and people loved it. I did it ahead of time and I think it was better on day 3.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

The S'mores sounds great but that will be for a smaller party!

I would love the spiced nut mix recipe, do you think I can sub something for Rosemary? I am not a fan
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

My neighbors have a holiday party every year, and I have noticed that a few items go really quickly, so I guess they're a hit.
Deviled Eggs
Sliders
Mashed Sweet Potatoes baked in a pie crust (muffin tin size) half of them topped with pineapples, the other half with marshmallows
Tickerless :(
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I think that is enough food choices for a group of 30. I would plan on eight pieces of the five savory finger foods per person--so make around 50 of each item, then a big thing of dip and a big meat/cheese display. Is the white bean crostini really popular with your group? If it's not a most-requested favorite, I would put it in with the bruschetta counts and then make 30-40 of each of the four flavors. Then you could make one more thing if you wanted to. Or double up on the meatballs (make 100).

It sounds like a lot but I think people eat (and drink) more on Saturdays.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Xislandgirl wrote: I would love the spiced nut mix recipe, do you think I can sub something for Rosemary? I am not a fan
I am sure you could.

This the recipe I used BUT I cut the salt in half (read the comments) and used a mix of walnuts, pecans and almonds

http://www.chow.com/recipes/14260-roast ... ry-walnuts

Next party we have, I am going to do two or three different mixes. Maybe a spicey, a sweet and one similar to the above. My circle is familar with mixed nuts from a can and they were down right tickled with what I made.

I bet Cruz Bay Grill rub would be a good spice with nuts.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

liamsaunt wrote:I think that is enough food choices for a group of 30. I would plan on eight pieces of the five savory finger foods per person--so make around 50 of each item, then a big thing of dip and a big meat/cheese display. Is the white bean crostini really popular with your group? If it's not a most-requested favorite, I would put it in with the bruschetta counts and then make 30-40 of each of the four flavors. Then you could make one more thing if you wanted to. Or double up on the meatballs (make 100).

It sounds like a lot but I think people eat (and drink) more on Saturdays.

As Always, great advice!
Terry

Post by Terry »

Your menu sounds great. I was just at a party where someone took shredded parmesan cheese, sprinkled it into rounds on a foil lined cookie sheet, baked it and they come out looking like browned snowflakes and are delicious! It's okay if they are cold too. So easy.

What about goat cheese stuffed figs? I add a little honey and cinnamon to the goat cheese and spread into each halved fig. Be sure to take the pit out. :) That is always a hit.

Have fun!
eywgirl

Post by eywgirl »

I had a party the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving and one of the items I served was dates stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in bacon (I used turkey bacon). They were a hit and gone very quickly.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Do any of your guests have any dietary restrictions? I have celiac disease and can't have gluten so I look at that list and there is almost nothing I'd be able to eat. Just something to keep in mind in case any of your guests have dietary restrictions :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

No restrictions for anyone
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I have to do a party for 20.
Menu is
Pulled pork with cole slaw
Smoked turkey
Good buns
Grilled shrimp
Bacon wrapped water chestnuts
Bacon wrapped chicken livers
Beer dip
Artichoke dip
chesse and Suasage platter
Christmas cookies
Tom
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

waterguy wrote:I have to do a party for 20.

chesse and Suasage platter
What time should the forum drop by, there has to be a joke somewhere with the cheese platter :twisted: