Underwater Camera for Kids

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Heather

Underwater Camera for Kids

Post by Heather »

I am looking for an inexpensive underwater digital camera for my 8 year old to use for our next trip to St. John. I am getting confusing information re: waterproof vs underwater capabilities. Does anyone have experience, info? Thanks!
PA Girl

Re: Underwater Camera for Kids

Post by PA Girl »

I have experience but not good experience.

We bought a Kodak Easyshare Sport for our son that leaked within the first 5 minutes. There is a double-hatch system to keep the water out of the card and the battery compartment. I think the exterior door got bumped ever so slighty and that allowed water to leak in.

I dont' think I paid $50 for the camera so I wasn't expecting too much. Kodak replaced it no questions asked and the replacement has taken a few dips in the creek, so far so good. For the price, it takes good enough pictures for my 7yo use.

When we go back to STJ in the winter, I am going to duck tape the door shut. Not that I think duct tape will keep the water out, my intention is to stabilize the door.
Lindy

Re: Underwater Camera for Kids

Post by Lindy »

Can you still buy disposible cameras with actual film any more? They also made underwater versions - my first trip I just bought a couple of those. Much cheaper than buying a real underwater camera for an 7 yr old. The pictures don't turn out well if you simply have them developed, but maybe you could just have them transferred to a CD at Walmart and then use an online program to filter out the blues and make them crisper. Maybe someone else can pipe in on that part since I'm no expert.