Paris - Where to stay?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
pjayer

Paris - Where to stay?

Post by pjayer »

Bonjour! We're planning our first visit to Paris for November 2013. My head is spinning from spending hours researching apartment rentals and trying to decide which area best suits. I'm interested in a place that is in good condition and clean with a kitchenette, a shower, a queen bed, and is not too touristy but rather quiet especially at night. It needs to accomodate two with a pullout or sleeper sofa for a weekend guest. So far, I like St. Germain, Marais, and the Latin Quarter but don't want to limit myself to those districts. Any thoughts from those out there who've rented in Paris would be much appreciated.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
lprof

Re: Paris - Where to stay?

Post by lprof »

If you have not seen this, it might offer a few clues.
Envy! I love Paris in the spring time, summer time, fall... did you know Paris just got this winter's first snowfall??? :roll:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... ilit=Paris
... no longer a stranger to paradise
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Thank you, lprof. That's a great thread and I've bookmarked it. Lots of good ideas for restaurants, etc. And, no, I had not heard about the snowfall. Better them than me, though! I'm already sick of cold weather in Kentucky. I'm sure Paris in any weather is wonderful. We're very excited!
Last edited by pjayer on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I suggest the Rue de la...........Oh never mind! I know nothing about Paris nor do I know the language! Just always wanted to work a Rue de la something in to a conversation!
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

mbw1024 wrote:I suggest the Rue de la...........Oh never mind! I know nothing about Paris nor do I know the language! Just always wanted to work a Rue de la something in to a conversation!
Well, there you go. Glad my topic served a useful purpose. You're welcome. :D
jmq

Post by jmq »

Well what I have to say just confirms your research. My daughter was in Paris for 3 weeks and really enjoyed The Marais district and the Latin Quarter.

The Marais aka the 4th Arrondissement aka the Jewish quarter (centered around the rue des Rosiers) is one of the only areas that preserves the narrow streets and architectural styles of Medieval and Renaissance-era Paris. The heart of the Marais is a lively neighborhood with a mix of trendy bars and cute little blackboard menu cafés. It includes the Ile St. Louis (with a Berthillon ice cream location YUM) and the Ile de la Cité, which are the oldest parts of Paris.

Perhaps also consider the 5th Arrondissement aka the Latin Quarter. That neighborhood has the feel of a small village where students mix freely with professionals along the winding streets. The rue Mouffetard is a primary boulevard where shops, international restaurants and student bars and cafés are found.

Also think you can't go wrong in the 6th/St. Germain.

These are the areas we will look in for an apartment rental when (not if) we go back. So, you must share your experience when you get back, and maybe even some of top picks in each area you considered.

PS just watched a Rick Steves Paris episode and he took one of these C2V nightime tours. We considered it last time, but moved it to the must do list for next time. Fun way to swing by some of the sights when they are lit up.
http://www.francetourisme.fr/paris-guid ... al-1H.html
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Thanks for the feedback, jmq. I especially appreciate the link for the tour. Since it's impossible to visit everthing in such a short time, this sounds like a good way to at least see some of the most popular attractions even if it's only from a vehicle.

Also, if anyone could provide the name and/or link to a specific property or rental agency they have used, that would be helpful in our search. Thanks, again.
bayer40601

Post by bayer40601 »

Thanks jmq. I was just telling PJ that I would like to find an apartment in a residential neighborhood with a mixture of small shops, cafes and markets, and it sounds like some of the areas you mention fill that bill. We will dig deeper and see what we can find.
How many more days?
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

We made our first trip to Paris prior to a Med Cruise last October. We stayed at the Hotel Du Cadran, which is about one quarter mile from the Eiffel Tower and Champs Du Mars, which is the park leading up to it, kind of like the mall in Washington towards the Lincoln Memorial. It is in the 7 th, in a residential area one block from Rue Cler, the market street, two blocks from Les Invalides, where Napoleon's tomb was located, and two blocks from Ave Bordenaise( ???sp) where great shops and restaurants abound. The Rodin Museum and Gardens were a block away. There is a bus that stops a block or two away that takes you all across Paris, past the Louvre all the way to Per Lachaise Cemetary. We only had three full days and despite by mobility difficulties we saw a lot.
The point of this post is that there is an apartment hotel, Hotel Valadon, just around the corner from Du Cadran that is associated with it. The entrance doesn't look like much but it gets great reviews on Trip Advisor. BTW, TA was a very valuable resource when we were planing the trip. Enjoy yours.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Our last trip to Paris in 2012 we found an apartment rental through AhParis! I believe it was #82. It is on rue Betholett. It is located in the 5th Arr. The apartment is 3 blocks from rue Moufftard which, as mentioned in a previous post, is a great market street. All that you might want there for resturants, shops, bars, produce........
The apartment is a two bedroom on the 4th floor. Just steps outside the front door was a #21 bus stop that was great as it connected us to the majority of what we wanted to visit in Paris. The greatest part of the rental was the owner of the apt. Jerome met us at the apt when we arrived and he was attentive to our needs and requests.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
ShipwreckPat

Post by ShipwreckPat »

We were lucky enough to visit Paris in September last year. We stayed in the Marais and found it perfect for us. You could walk everywhere and were only a 5 minute walk from the Seine where you could hop on a boat to take you to all the famous attractions. We rented a 2 bedroom huge apartment on the Rue Chapon through the rental company named "A Part of Paris" for a resonable price. They were very helpful and even arranged transport from airport and importantly to us, spoke English. Feel free to PM me for details if interested.