Is this wrong?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
GotToGetAway

Is this wrong?

Post by GotToGetAway »

We have a five year plan to move to St. John. However, we want to make sure we are being realistic about our finances.
Is it wrong to ask a real estate agent to help us look at houses when we know we won't be buying for about 5 years? We know the same homes will likely not be on the market when we are ready to buy, but we want to see what our money will buy, and the quality of homes within our price range. Sometimes you never can tell from pictures how the homes are maintained.
Thanks in advance for opinions.
Tickerless :(
Florida Girl

Re: Is this wrong?

Post by Florida Girl »

I'm sure a real estate agent on St. John would be willing to help you investigate, providing you give them the sale when you're ready. Pia, here on the forum, is an RE agent, she's really nice, and if she can't help you, maybe she knows of someone who can! :D You might also ask other people who have moved there in the past couple of years for any advice they might have. Another forumite, P600 recently moved to STJ and she might also be able to give you some tips, her blog is here: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=23351

Good luck! I envy you!
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Thanks for the advice Florida Girl. I, of course, would continue to use the same agent, thus giving her/him the business when it is time to buy. I just don't want someone to feel I would be wasting their time now.
Tickerless :(
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

I totally understand. We bought a house in 2011. We looked at 4, 3 rentals and 1 unfinished owner occupied house which we bought and had finished. The rentals were older and even though they were well maintained, they were made of materials that needed more maintenance than we want to do ( ours is a vacation house until we can spend more time ). I would contact a realtor with your wish list and get their opinion if anything currently for sale fits the bill.
We actually weren't intending to buy yet but prices and interest rates were so low, we couldn't pass them up!
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

During one of our trips, I mentioned to the greeter from our rental company that we many be interested in someday buying property, he was kind enough to show us several properties that were rentals, some currently for sale, to give us an idea what to expect, he even knew some of the cost such as utilities and insurance, while I assume he was simply being kind - he was also showing us potential future rentals as well :wink:

If I were to contact a Realtor I would just be honest and tell them I'm "Just looking", I find a lot of time personally - I go from "just looking ' to SOLD! I would think if it were just a few properties and they didn't have to put the home owner out they would be happy to show some and possibly sure up a future sale!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I am willing to bet that Pia and Les would be more than happy to help you "just look"

I had a real estate customer that just looked for 3 years. Then he bought. It happens all the time on island
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Use Pia, tell her your plans and timetable. As a former resident of St John, & St Thomas, there is much more homework to be done than property. Ask locals about the trials & tribulations of dealing with WAPA, & government officials in general. Try to talk to as many folks, as you can, that have relocated to the island. Congrats!