experience flying standby to Belize or last minute room res

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
CBama

experience flying standby to Belize or last minute room res

Post by CBama »

trying to plan my Son's graduation trip....My daughter and I did Europe trip...now son and husband are debating where to go for his trip....

Delta only has one flight a day to Belize....so I would be scared to book hotel/villa/resort etc...ahead of time since I won't know if they will make the flight...

anyone have experience flying standby to Belize??

or anyone have any ideas of last minute places to stay? This will be a budget trip..

still open to other suggestions for standby travel...(puerto rico has four flights a day...but he liked Belize better)

Thanks....
eala

Re: experience flying standby to Belize or last minute room

Post by eala »

We were very lucky going to St. Thomas in stand-by with Delta. We also want to hit Belize's San Pedro and Bonaire too, which looks to be even harder to get too. Even considered the Bahamas, but inter-island travel seems expensive there too. I'd love to hear what others have found. On San Pedro, I was looking at SunBreeze suites. They looked really nice for a decent price and if your not interline, they have sales going on right now so I'd assume that they're not fully booked. Either way, with patience I'm sure they'll have an amazing trip wherever they end up with many awesome memories!
Don't sweat the small stuff!
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Not sure if this will help you...but I had this in an email earlier..

http://www.budgettravel.com/real-deal/b ... 035,12776/
[/url]
CBama

Post by CBama »

Thanks for the replies...I will look at that budget deal...looks good at first glance...

they are not restricted to Belize...I may post another topic with ideas for another location...that one flight a day to Belize just worries me....our June flight from ATL to St Thomas was completely full. We opted to buy tickets rather than risk standby for that trip. I wanted to pick a villa ahead of time....I had been watching standby flights since the summer before...but I haven't looked at Belize...
Chardonnay

Post by Chardonnay »

We loved Belize but planned everything in advance. We did not stay in Belize City but instead spent half the trip in Placencia - very inexpensive accommodation with the beach 10 ft from the door! Beach bars and restaurants. Then the second half in a jungle resort and explored the Mayan Ruins. But we did have a driver and glad we did as the roads are in poor condition as are the rental cars. But the language is generally English and the people friendly. Another vacation I recommend is getting the cheap flight into Cancun, renting a car and exploring the Mayan Riviera. All types of accommodations - we stayed in 3 different places from condo to 6 room resort. There are ruins to explore and cenotes to snorkel, zip lines, etc. Stay away from the commercial ones. We ate at the locally owned restaurants which were cheap and good! Our trip took us all the way down to Xcalak which neighbors Belize! Very interesting town! Diving and fishing available here! Hope you find something memorable!
CBama

Post by CBama »

thanks Chardonnay....how does the beach at Placencia compare to St John beaches? I had been looking at Ambergis Caye, San Pedro.... Any snorkeling offshore from this beach?

it seemed that most people booked excursions in Belize rather than exploring on your own like St John...

How did you handle transport from Belize City to Placencia?
Chardonnay

Post by Chardonnay »

Since in this area you're away from the mountains, the beaches go on continuously so they are great for walking. We did a small amount of snorkling but there's not as many places as St. John. We did sail out to the Cays and did snorkling and scuba there.

I had forgotten about our trip to Placencia! My husband reminded me we took a 10 seater prop plane that went to the various smaller towns - that was an adventure in itself! it was also neat to see the area from the sky.