Anyone use mobile GPS tagging apps?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
sherban

Anyone use mobile GPS tagging apps?

Post by sherban »

I was reading a thread on the ST John Forum ( Re: How long from Caneel to Honeymoon ?) and saw this:
ms411 wrote:I walked it, photographed it, and mapped it. Here it is.
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1858866
There's a booth there now selling drinks and snacks, so no need to lug a cooler, though they may not carry adult beverages.
I checked this out and thought..."How cool, looks like a great way to document/share a place/hike/tour, etc."...

Does anyone else use these types of Apps, is EveryTrail the best or are their others that someone prefers? I'll definately load one of these apps and use it on my trip in June, just wanted to see if anyone has experience with these types of apps?

Thanks!
Last edited by sherban on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lprof

Re: Ayone use mobile GPS tagging apps?

Post by lprof »

When we were on STJ I totally forgot that I had gotten the app after seeing a previous post by ms411.
I surely wished I had remembered after seeing the Honeymoon post! Having the app is only the first step! :oops:
Next time!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
sherban

Post by sherban »

lprof wrote:When we were on STJ I totally forgot that I had gotten the app after seeing a previous post by ms411.
I surely wished I had remembered after seeing the Honeymoon post! Having the app is only the first step! :oops:
Next time!
lprof- That's funny, yeah downloading the app is step one! I really like the idea, seems like a combination of maps and photos apps with sequential organization...I like the idea. I downloaded the app and plan to take it on a couple hikes in June....
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

I have used several of these apps and like EveryTrail the best. I will share some links to some of my tracks if you pm me. I used it on the brown bay trail last year but haven't published it yet.

John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
sherban

Post by sherban »

TrvlJohn wrote:I have used several of these apps and like EveryTrail the best. I will share some links to some of my tracks if you pm me. I used it on the brown bay trail last year but haven't published it yet.
John
Thanks...I've downloaded the app and will give it a try!
ms411

Re: Anyone use mobile GPS tagging apps?

Post by ms411 »

Sorry, I just noticed your message. I don't hang out much on this forum.

I've had everytrail for so long that it's hard for me to remember why I chose it over others. I think it was recommended in a PC magazine, and they had an Android version. It got good reviews, and it has an offline map option that I still haven't figured out yor et. They also give you the code to embed your trails on your website and/blog. It had everything I was looking for so I bought the pro version for $5.

I think I only looked at one other, and I think it may have been from the alltrails.com site, but at the time everytrail seemed more active, and I only like to post on very active sites. Everytrail is also owned by TripAdvisor so it's got deep pocket backing. I don't want an app that might not be supported tomorrow.

I use it everytime I travel, and even when I'm out and about if I want to measure how far I've walked or to have a trail to follow on a return so I don't get lost. I also use it to measure the beaches so people can get a sense of how small many of the Caribbean beaches are.

Let me know what you decide. I love this app, and can't think of how it can be improved, but there may be something I'm missing out on that I don't know about!
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)