This is sad.

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Agent99

This is sad.

Post by Agent99 »

I'd read recently about the ridiculous utility costs in the islands.
ST. THOMAS — The last batches of milk and ice cream were being shipped out from St. Thomas’ eponymous dairy Monday, making it the latest Virgin Islands business to succumb to skyrocketing utility costs.
http://virginislandsdailynews.newspaper ... iewer.aspx
PA Girl

Re: This is sad.

Post by PA Girl »

Last month Capt John told us there are a number of STJ bars that have turned off their refridgeration units and using coolers filled with ice for bottled beverages because the cost to run the units is too high.
VIlanders

Post by VIlanders »

So sorry to hear about this. Utter Delight will be staying open "for now" as the owners put it. We always stop there on the way back from Magen's Bay and then went back during our stays in St. Thomas. They have the best milk shakes with added liquers that make them extra special. Let's hope they can keep that going. Those electric costs have just gotten prohibitive.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

PA Girl wrote:Last month Capt John told us there are a number of STJ bars that have turned off their refridgeration units and using coolers filled with ice for bottled beverages because the cost to run the units is too high.
I wonder how any restaurant can stay in business.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

It really makes me re-think wanting to move to the islands. It's already expensive to live there, but the utility costs are over the top! I guess cold showers & romantic candles at night would have to become the norm. :roll: