Quick trip notes and pix: Sedona and Jerome AZ

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jmq

Quick trip notes and pix: Sedona and Jerome AZ

Post by jmq »

Couple of weeks ago went to visit family in PHX and went up to Sedona for a few days, stopping in Jerome on the way back.

Weather was glorious 70s at elevation and 80s in PHX and not a cloud in the sky.

Did the Pink Jeep tour in Sedona – lotsa fun. Had a great Italian dinner in Sedona (go figure) at http://dahlanddiluca.com/ = wonderful homemade pastas+.

Then we had an outstanding New Mexican lunch at a small place called the “15.quince Grill and Cantina” http://visitjeromeaz.com/post/15-quince ... ces-in-az/ in the little old mining town of Jerome.

Go figure finding something of this quality in that kind of day tourist location – hands down the best southwestern food we’ve had in a LONG time – can stand up to the best we’ve had in New Mexico and Bobby Flay’s restaurants in NYC. Any place when they ask which of the red or green chile sauces you want on that, and you say “I’ll have the Christmas sauce” (meaning both) and you get a big grin in return because then they know that you know, you just know the food is going to be great. They fully deserve their stellar ranking on TripAdvisor.

Upon arrival in AZ, we felt like some kind of hibernating creature coming out of their winter den soaking up the warmth after a long winter slumber. Thought we might come home to more spring like weather, but drove home thru freezing rain upon return to NJ 3/16. What a gray/cold/windy March it has been here at home. Makes you ask why you live somewhere where the weather can suck for 5 months out of 12, but a long overdue return to the VIs in just 2 months time is keeping us sane.
Some photos:

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
CinnBay

Re: Quick trip notes and pix: Sedona and Jerome AZ

Post by CinnBay »

Thank you so much for posting your trip report and pictures. Sedona is my second favorite place to visit, with STJ being first. Such beautiful pictures. Did you take the picture of the San Francisco peaks from Jerome? I have not been to Jerome yet but I understand it has alot of art studios and great restaurants. I always enjoy reading about your family adventures.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Loved Cathedral Rock when we were out there.
jmq

Post by jmq »

mbw1024 wrote:Loved Cathedral Rock when we were out there.
Didnt get a good angle or lighting on it from a distance and did not specifically seek that out but wish I had.
CinnBay wrote:Thank you so much for posting your trip report and pictures. Sedona is my second favorite place to visit, with STJ being first. Such beautiful pictures. Did you take the picture of the San Francisco peaks from Jerome? I have not been to Jerome yet but I understand it has alot of art studios and great restaurants. I always enjoy reading about your family adventures.
Thanks CB. Yes with the long lens from Jerome. Jerome is like two blocks so dont build up too many expectations LOL - yes some art studios, some touristy shops etc. A good start is to first swing into the Douglas Mansion on the way up into town which has been turned into a state historic park with mining artifacts and an informative video history of Jerome. Talk about boom and bust cycles, fires and rebuilding, landslides etc. I would be mighty tempted to stop there again if I had the chance just to go back to that restaurant LOL.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Thanks for the report and pics. We're headed to the Grand Canyon, Sedona and Phoenix/Scottsdale in September.
janet
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

LOVE Sedona and Jerome!
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Thanks for posting these. We were in Sedona exactly a year ago, just prior to and after we hiked down to Phantom Ranch in the Grand Canyon. We were reminiscing the other day that that trip was the best trip we've ever had without leaving the continental US. So much great scenery. Thanks for transporting me back.