a TR from Dubai and Oman, part 1

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
linne

a TR from Dubai and Oman, part 1

Post by linne »

Better late than newer!

For about a year ago we had an exiting trip to Dubai and Oman, and it was my intention to write a Trip report, when we returned home. But you know how it is, one day goes with other activities and the nest day too etc.

But it’s too long time since I have practiced my English, hubby is in USA, the spring is late this year, so no garden work, which all means that now it must be the time to start.

WHY DUBAI AND OMAN?

In autumn 2011, when I was in the garden, I was inattentive for a short moment (not drunk), felt down from a wall and hurt my back. It gave me some months with problems, and when it became better with me, I felt that I deserved a vacation on a warm place. But where to go? I still wasn’t able to sit in a flight for a long time. But then I remembered that some of our friends had told about a trip to Oman, which had been very interesting. I had seen a good offer for tickets to Dubai, and I knew that the flight only took 6 hours. From Dubai there is only 1 hour flight to Oman. So we could see both places in one vacation. That was the answer!

I spent a lot of time planning the trip. We had 2 weeks vacation and want to use most of the time in Oman because of the many possibilities for nature experiences. The plan ended up so that we started with 3 days in Dubai, 9 days on different places in Oman an then again about 2 days in Dubai.

We flew with the Emirates from Hamburg to Dubai in the night, and it was a very pleasant flight.
Courteous service, good food and what you want drink. And the time went fast, because there was lots of movies and music to choose among at each seat.

DUBAI

Very early in the morning we landed in Dubai. I have read that in Dubai everything was bigger, or faster, or higher or more impressing than what you can see in other places. I have to add that I think that Dubai also had the slowest working people, I have seen in an airport! We were of course tired after the flight, so to stay in a long row only slowly moving forward was so frustrating. Finally we came out, and were happy that we had asked for hotel transfer, and that the car was waiting for us with a bottle of cold water and a damp cloth. We should stay on a 4 stars Radisson Hotel with a balcony with a view to the water. Had a good offer for 3 nights. We knew that we perhaps couldn’t have the room before later in the day, but they were very nice to us, and after we have had breakfast, a room was ready. The hotel and the room were very nice, and the service was impeccable, but the view from the balcony was a little disappointing. We stayed out to a road with trees on both sides and could only catch a glimpse of the water through the trees. But it was still a fine place to the price.

The first we did in Dubai was to go to sleep for about 4 hours. The next was to fulfil a lunch invitation from the son to a couple of our friends. We knew that he and his family had a villa in Dubai, but were surprised to see how nice the villa and the surroundings were, to see two big cars in the garage, and to meet a Philippine girl, who lived there and were hired to take care of the family even though the wife wasn’t working. You really had to earn a lot of money to be able to afford that in Denmark. But of course it helps, if you as in Dubai don’t pay any tax at all!!!

We had lunch in the private club for the area, a beautiful place with a big pool, where we got delicious seafood and wine.

Such a nice experience to visit the family.

Our host knew that hubby is very interested in boats, so he gave us the possibility to visit a boat
exhibition at the coast. Another funny experience.

The boats were a little bit bigger than the boats, hubby is used to sail with

Besides the boats there were also an exhibition of beautiful cars of course flanked by “young” girls :)

The next day we bought tickets to a Big Bus tour, which meant that we the next 24 hours could use the buses to go and to stop, as we liked (nearly same system as in NY and other big cities). The difference between Dubai and what we have tried earlier was that like other things in Dubai, the quality was just in top. The headphones we were given, were with clear English speaking without any noise, and the buses were very clean.

THE MALLS

Dubai is famous for the malls, so of course we had to see some of them. And they were really worth a look.

In one of them you can ski

In another you go into a “tunnel” and above you can see a lot of different fishes

And if you want to dive you can do that

or look at penguins

or more fish

or you can eat in a jungle restaurant

OTHER ATTRACTIONS

We also visited “the palm islands”, which is man made islands shaped to resemble a palm tree. Here you can find the famous hotel Atlantis

And of course we visited Burj Khalifa, which should be the highest building in the world - not sure if it still is so. We had bought tickets from home with exactly visiting time. Anyway we had to stay in line, but it was worth it. So impressing! Both the building it selves and the view from level 124, from where the skyscrapers looked very small

In the evening we also saw a spectacular water show with lovely music included

We also admired all the flowers, we saw. To have flowers in Dubai requires an ingenious irrigation system, and they use incredible much water in Dubai

Including in the tickets was also a visit to the local museum, where it was illustrated how Dubai looked for not so many years ago. Museums can be a little boring to visit, but the way this was illustrated made it very interesting

We also visited the old souk, where you could see a lot of small stores selling gold and many other things.

Time for praying

Hotel Radisson, where we stayed, is famous for their weekly fish buffet. And we were lucky that there was a buffet the night before our leaving for Oman. It became one of the best fish meals we have had ever. A huge selection of fish and waiters ready to grill fish for you, if you wanted. And for a lovely end, lots of delicious desserts.

We were pretty well fed, when we went to bed!

I have to say that Dubai wasn’t a place we thought could impress us, we more like to see what the nature can create than what people can create. But we must admit that we couldn’t stop admiring what had been done with the desert there. Everything was so clean and perfect in Dubai. No graffiti, clean streets an houses, lots of flowers etc.. But of course you also can find negative things, if you like. Dubai uses a lot of electricity and water. And most of the population is foreign workers working for rich Arabs. I’m not sure how they are treated.

Dubai wasn’t so expensive, as we had expected. We bought for example nice glass figures to a very low price, and all the electronic was very cheap compared to Denmark. So if you like to shop or like to entertain your children with huge playgrounds inside the malls, game machines etc., Dubai just are a dream destination.

Anyway, after 3 days in Dubai we looked forward to come to Oman with total different experiences also knowing that we would have another exciting experience in Dubai. The last night of our vacation we had reserved a table in Sky View Bar at, what is told should be the most beautiful hotel in the world, Burj Al Arab.

I will tell about that in the next part.

Linne
shoemak38

Re: a TR from Dubai and Oman, part 1

Post by shoemak38 »

linne wrote:Better late than newer!

But it’s too long time since I have practiced my English, hubby is in USA, the spring is late this year, so no garden work, which all means that now it must be the time to start.

In autumn 2011, when I was in the garden, I was inattentive for a short moment (not drunk), felt down from a wall and hurt my back. It gave me some months with problems, and when it became better with me, I felt that I deserved a vacation on a warm place.

Linne
thanks for the report hope your back is better. If was a hard winter over here to, In our midwest yesterday 60cm of snow. Let hope for a warm summer in Spain this year :D
loria

Post by loria »

linne, thanks so much-- my husband travels frequently to abu dhabi and so this is a trip we have been thinking about-- how did you find it in terms of being a western woman? -- i really cannot wait to hear about (and see you pictures of) Oman. A friend just went for a short visit and said it was really lovely.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

It is so nice to hear from you again, Linne!

I am looking forward to your next installment. I have not travelled in the Middle East, it seems so exotic.

I would have liked shopping in that gold market.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

So nice to hear from you Linne!

My boss travels to Dubai/Abu Dhabi//Saudi Arabia regularly and I love seeing the pictures he brings back. It is so different from here.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in Oman!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
lprof

Post by lprof »

linne, it is great "to see" to you here! Here's hoping that your back is now fully recovered.

Your descriptions and photos of Dubai from a visitor's eye are quite objective and enlightening. I look forward to the next part of your report!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
linne

Post by linne »

shoemak38 wrote:
thanks for the report hope your back is better. If was a hard winter over here to, In our midwest yesterday 60cm of snow. Let hope for a warm summer in Spain this year :D
Thank you for your wish, and yes my back is better, but I'm not totally cured.
We also had snow yesterday, not much, and it should be spring from Sunday.
We are looking forward to go to Spain in the middle of May. Hopefully it will be good weather. Our 3 grandchildren and their parents will come and visit us for 10 days.

loria wrote:- how did you find it in terms of being a western woman?.
I had no problems at all, but I was never provocative dressed for example in the malls. But surprisingly we did see young girls in miniskirts.

lprof wrote:linne, it is great "to see" to you here!
Thanks for the "welcome back" greetings. But I have not been totally away - I frequently see the off topic forum

Linne
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Line,
Thanks so much for the report..love hearing about different places.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Linne - I've loved reading your trip report. I've never known of anyone going to Dubai. How exciting! Ok...on to TR #2. Thanks again!
Coden