a TR from Dubai and Oman, part 3

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
linne

a TR from Dubai and Oman, part 3

Post by linne »

Some of you have said that it’s fine with long trip reports and a lot of pictures. So now you get it!

WAHIBA SANDS

After Turtle Beach we drove away from the coast to our next destination, the desert named Wahiba Sands. We had an agreement with one from Nomadic Desert Camp, who should pick us up in a small village with his 4WD, which you needed to drive in the desert. Some other tourists with bigger cars followed us.

Wahiba sands are 200 km long and 100 km wide, and the dunes can be 100 - 150 m high.
Here we saw the first glimpse of the desert. A fantastic sight. Golden sand as far as the eye can see.

On the way the young driver, who together with his family owned and ran the camp, stopped to show us his home, where all in the family lived.

You cannot call it a luxury home!

We had tea sitting on the floor and served by his very sweet little sister. She was the only female, we saw. We could hear some women speak in another room, but I guess that it was a problem for them, if any foreign men should see them

Some of their camels were going around in the nearness

and some of them had a rope around their forelegs, so that they couldn’t run away

The camp was primitive without electricity, and the huts were very small. We knew that beforehand, but we just liked to have such an experience too.

our hut:

the toilets:

Normally we walked barefooted in the camp, but I must admit that I wore sandals at the toilets!

During the afternoon we went on “dune driving”, where the driver’s abilities for driving up and down big sand dunes was challenged. A funny game for” boys”.

Later in the afternoon it was time to go and see the sunset. Unfortunately it was a little misty, as it had been all the time we had spent in Oman. But we enjoyed the surroundings, and it was still lovely to sit in the sand looking at the sun going down.

After dune driving and sunset trip we relaxed for a while in front of our hut (and took a little drink, which we have brought from home). One of the nomads came with a lamp with candlelight and took a picture of us. He must have shaken his hands, when he took the picture. I don’t think he was drunk. :D

Then it was time for dinner, which was a buffet with a lot of salad, vegetable, chicken and fish prepared in different ways. Of course no alcohol was served, only tea and fruit syrup with water.
We enjoyed the meal in company with the other tourists. Very cosy to chat with different people from all over the world.

After the meal we ended up around the fire, where people from the camp entertained us.

We slept very well even though the beds were a little uncomfortable.
Breakfast was served in the dining area

After beakfast we were asked, if we want a camel ride. I have tried it some years ago, but I couldn’t resist trying it again.

How to enter a camel?

Off we go!

I very fast learned to relax on the camel and follow the movements. But that was while we went up the dunes or were riding at flat ground. When we started to go down from the dunes, the camel moved in a way, which was rather unpleasant for me (my back didn’t like it), so I didn’t mind, when the trip was over. Anyway it was funny.

Shortly after the ride we said goodbye to the friendly people in the camp, and to the other tourists
we had come to know.
linne

Re: a TR from Dubai and Oman, part 3

Post by linne »

Our next destination was the highest mountain in Oman, Jebel Shams, and on our way we were going to see other sights among them the old town Nizva.

The last years there had been built many new roads in Oman, and many of the roads were very good. The only thing they missed was enough road signs. So again we had problems finding the right way. We had no GPS, because we were told that you couldn’t be sure that a GPS in Oman would show you the best way. You could risk to end in a deserted place with impassable roads.

It’s a little frustrating not to be able finding the way, and sometimes I felt that it had been better, if we had travelled with a group. On the other side it also gave us some good experiences, when we asked people for help. Taught by experience we tried to find men in an Arabic robe to ask. Then we knew that he would be from Oman and not a foreign worker, which meant that he probably would be able to speak a little English. On our way to Nizva we met a well educated, young and very friendly Oman man, with whom we spoke about half an hour. He not only told us, which way was the right, but also gave us good information about the rest of the trip. We also spoke with him about his job and his life, which was very interesting.

NIZVA

Nizwa is a very old town filled with historical buildings and famous for the fort, the very big Friday cattle market and for the old souk, where you among a lot of other things can find beautiful Bedouin silver jewellery. Unfortunately we weren’t able to be there on a Friday and most of the stores in the souk were closed at the time, we came. But the town was still worth seeing, and we visited some open stores with a lot of different and remarkable things.

MISFAT

From Nizwa we drove to Mizfat by narrow and steep roads. Misfat is a very old village beautifully situated on a hillside.

JEBEL SHAMS

Our destination was Jebel Shams Resort, which is built atop the highest mountain in Oman
(3000 meters). The Jebel Shams area is called “Grand Canyon” of Oman, and many people are coming there for the many hiking trails.

We haven’t been in Grand Canyon, so I cannot compare. But the mountains and the views were really breathtaking, although it still was a little misty.

As you know a picture is seldom as beautiful as the nature itself, which is the case for these

The Jebel Sharms resort was clean and nice, and we were very satisfied with our big room with a view to the mountains.

ImageG

We had a very tasty buffet in the restaurant, where we chatted a little with other tourists.
Both in Turtle Beach, Nomadic Desert camp and Jebel Shams resort the breakfast and a buffet is included in the room price, so you have no other choices, but the total price is however very low.

There was a lovely sunset, which we enjoyed sitting on the outdoor doorstep with some snacks and
a drink.

The next day we took a short walk around in the area and once again admired the surroundings

We leaved Jebel Shams before noon for about a 3 hours drive to Muscat

On our way we passed villages, where we could see at the houses that the people in Oman are being richer, after they have found out to exploit the oil in the country.

Coming to Muscat we delivered the car and made us ready for our next adventure, a sail trip with the biggest catamaran ferry in the world. Destination the Musandam peninsula. Musandam was our last chance on this vacation to use our snorkel equipment, which we have brought with us all the long way from home.

I will tell about Musandam in the last part and about our visit to one of the most luxurious hotels in the world, Burj al Arab in Dubai.

Linne
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

WOW great photo's and report, how did you find these places?
linne

Post by linne »

shoemak38 wrote: how did you find these places?

The short answer to your question Shoe, is that I do a lot of homework

A longer explanation here:

When we are travelling to a new country, I use many hours investigating to find out what it’s worth seeing in the country. Read articles, perhaps books, ask others, look at the internet etc.. Especially Tripadvisor I use a lot. Then I try to find the places, I like to see, discuss it with hubby, and if he agrees, I start to find out, where we are going to stay. Sometimes I only book a hotel for the first nights beforehand, and then we find out, when we arrive, where to stay. On this trip I have booked nearly everything beforehand, because we didn’t have so much time the different places, and I wouldn’t use the time to look after accommodations. I normally book directly and don’t book via Tripadvisor, Expedia or similar. It’s often the same price, sometimes cheaper, and you don’t need to pay beforehand. When I’m in contact with the owner or a hotel reception, I also sometimes get help, if I have any questions.

Most of our friends don’t travel like us, if they want to see other countries. They travel in a group or with help from a travel agency. They think it’s too difficult and troublesome to do like us. And they are right, it’s more difficult in our way.

But it’s normally cheaper, we learn more about the country, and we often have some special experiences, we wouldn’t have had, if we were travelling with a group.

So until now we have preferred to arrange our trips ourselves. But we are not young anymore, so perhaps we will change our opinion. We are still talking about perhaps to take a trip to USA, and we are discussing, if we then should arrange the trip via a travel agency or perhaps travel with a group. I don’t really know. I think, I will be able to have a lot of good help from this forum to arrange a trip. :D :D

Linne
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am perplexed by the toilet bowl brush in the picture of the toilet area.

Was the hose for personal washing?

If you come to Pennsylvania, we have an extra bedroom/bathroom. I am used to your style of travelling but I do remember some tense evenings in foreign countries when it was getting dark and we didn't know where we would sleep that night. A particularly frustrating/scary night in Poland tested even my father's fearless personality.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Linne, I am fascinated by your report- thanks for sharing your adventure.
linne

Post by linne »

PA Girl wrote:I am perplexed by the toilet bowl brush in the picture of the toilet area.

Was the hose for personal washing?

If you come to Pennsylvania, we have an extra bedroom/bathroom. I am used to your style of travelling but I do remember some tense evenings in foreign countries when it was getting dark and we didn't know where we would sleep that night. A particularly frustrating/scary night in Poland tested even my father's fearless personality.

Concerning the hose, I'm not sure, if it only was for cleaning the toilet, or it was for personal use also.
Besides the toilets there was an open areal with sinks, but we didn't see a bathroom.

Thank you for your offer of a bedroom/bathroom in Pennsylvania. So nice of you to say.

Linne
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

My understanding from others who have traveled in that region is that the hose is for personal cleansing after use of the facilities. It is a substitute for toilet paper.

Linne, I am truly enjoying reading about your travels. You are very adventurous!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Man, that camel...I don't know if I would have liked that or not. I rode an elephant one time and that was one time too many for me. Haha

Thanks!
Coden