favorite hotels in london and lisbon?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
loria

favorite hotels in london and lisbon?

Post by loria »

crazy 6 day trip-- two nights in Lisbon, 2 in London, then two in Oxford....what are your favorite places to stay? will have my 14 yr old son in tow.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
RickG

Re: favorite hotels in london and lisbon?

Post by RickG »

We like to stay at one of the smaller hotels around Paddington Station. It is convenient to multiple tube lines and is walkable from the airport train station at Paddington. Most of these hotels are family run with smaller rooms. You can save significantly if you do not get an ensuite bath.

If you are there in late July or August you should ask about a/c. Most smaller hotels do not have it. If it is that time of year, also check university housing. We are fans of University College's new dorms.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

My last trip to London we stayed at the Reubens Hotel near Buckingham. Loved it. It was my niece's HS grad trip. We had 3 in a room and it was not a problem.
Sister and niece did a side trip to Oxford and stayed at a place called The Buttery I believe. They liked it.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Agree with Rick re London – choose someplace near where you will come into town from the airport. Paddington is on the north side of Hyde Park. Note that National Express operates a large number of nice coach buses into various London destinations – pick a drop off point near a main tube station and/or walking distance to some of the stuff you want to see and find a well rated hotel near there. We took a coach bus into Victoria Station which is on the south side of Hyde Park and stayed at the Park Plaza Victoria property that we got a good rate on and were quite happy with. Plenty of restaurants in the area, 15 min walk to Westminster Abbey. The Park Plaza chain has a lot of other locations in London too.

This is a good London resource:
http://www.londontown.com/
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide