Vacation with adult children

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
beach1

Vacation with adult children

Post by beach1 »

We would like to take our 2 adult children on vacation when they graduate from college. Last trip was to st.john. They had a great time. Would like ask for some other ideas. Both like activities such as snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, good scenery along with some down time and good restaurants in evening. Not too big on heavy nightlife scene. Some ideas in carribbean, Central America, Europe or even USA anyone?
PatrickMcc

Re: Vacation with adult children

Post by PatrickMcc »

Sounds like Costa Rica or Belize might be what you want. In Belize you can add caving and Mayan ruins if they are interested. Costa Rica has better scenery but some areas in Belize will have better snorkeling. Good luck.
beach1

Post by beach1 »

Yes. I have considered Costa Rica. Any particular areas?
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

In Costa Rica you will have to move around a bit to get both beach/oceanfront and scenery. On our first trip we did Manuel Antonio, Tortugero, Arenal and the Saraquipi(sp?) river. We did to much on this trip. We haven't been to the coastal areas north of Manuel Antonio like Guanacaste but have heard and read they are getting very developed. If you did stay on the west coast near the beach you might be able to take day trips to the rain forest-I'm not sure where you would stay or how long the trips would take.
For our second trip we stayed the entire week at Bosque del Cabo in the Osa peninsula. This has hiking and beach and is a really nice resort in a beautiful area but you are far from any town- meals are all at the resort- food was excellent but it might be quiet for the young ones. Getting to the Osa requires a long drive or a short plane ride on a smaller plane. Hope this helps.
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

Just returned from the Big Island. Amazing.
Spent 2 nights in Volcano to hike and explore around the rainforest and volcano. What a fab place ! Such contrasts of environments there. You hike thru the fern forest and then across a crater floor ( steam rising ) all within 4 mile hike. Check out the orange glow from the volcano at the jaggar museum overlook at night under star-filled skies.
Next 5 nights on north kohala coast ( the sunny beach area ) where we snorkeled in fab places ( lotsa colorful interesting critters and formations, great viz) , hubby golfed, I dived, hiked petroglyph trail, fantastic helicopter tour, horseback in waipio canyon, etc
You could spend a lot of time here - we didn't kayak, but it's certainly a good option. Plenty to do if you don't wanna chill in the hammock all day.
Highly rec.
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

Ps
Forgot to mention the umauma zip line tour on Big Island . Zip over the triple waterfalls. Scenery? Check.
Chardonnay

Post by Chardonnay »

For an adventure, we enjoyed the Mayan Riviera...cheap flights to Cancun, rented car and drove south to a variety of resorts. Our favorite so far - Al Cielo http://www.locogringo.com/xpuha/alcielo.html?ID=819#txt
Enjoy the beach or travel inland to snorkeling in cenotes, zip-line through jungles or hiking the Mayan ruins. Fabulous bar and restaurant on site. Short drive to Playa del Carmen - the Mexican version of the French Quarter.
beach1

Post by beach1 »

Thank you for all of the great suggestions. I've been reading some about the Abacos, particularly Guana cay or Elbow Cay. Anyone know the best (inexpensive) way to get there from the US?
Terry

Post by Terry »

For culture, scenery, and hiking...Italy and the Cinque Terra area. Right after 3 days in Rome! Then stay on the shore near the Rome airport for a couple of nights, gorgeous.

If you're really adventurous, try Vietnam and the river tours on a house boat, it's so beautiful. Top it off with Cambodia or Thailand and end with Hong Kong.

If you're wanting to stay closer to home, try Sanibel Island, FL and rent a home. Stow your rental car and rent bikes. Also pretty good snorkeling off Siesta Key and further south in the Keys off the bridges.

The Hawaiian Islands are always a great place to snorkel and enjoy the even tempered climate. Hardly ever a bad weather day on those islands.

Can't wait to hear what you decide on.
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

Well-
Abacos and the surrounding waters are indeed calm and lovely - great for piddling around in your own boat.
We flew into treasure cay- easy via Miami - but nothing cheap on air lately that works for us out of little rock ( stayed at the lovely Bahamas beach club)
Boated over to great guana cay , green turtle cay ,elbow cay, and others.
Peaceful , laid back. ( well nippers on great guana is a party place for sure)
These cays have villa rentals ( some
Folks complain about Mosquitos so u might you might check that out - but we had no issue on treasure cay) . Beaches here are picture perfect.
There was ferry service from treasure to other cays.
Probably puddle jumper service or private boat could easily be hired.
Wherever you choose it's sure to make great memories!
beach1

Post by beach1 »

Thanks for all of the replies so far. Y'all are always a wealth of information!! It's looking more like Bahamas or Florida islands.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

We love Boca Grande FL. First trip last summer with my adult daughter. I was blown away by the Caribbean like water and the manatees that swam by while I the water. Beautiful fine white sand beaches and a fun little downtown with great restaurants and shops. Everyone tools around in golf carts. Daughter is going back July 4th week. We were 2 blocks from ocean. The homes are amazing!
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Absolutely love Sanibel? Captiva for a vacay with adult children. Tween Waters Inn on Captiva has great accommodations, great restaurants on premises, pool, beach with beautiful sunsets. The property spans from ocean to bay, so opportunities for kayaking and fishing abound. Bike riding is a great pastime, the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge is minutes away. Active young adult casual social opportunities abound. There are other rentals also in the area if you would rather have villa type private accommodations.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Greyhound Mom: how was the water visibility? We went to St. Pete beach FL last summer and loved it. We missed the clear water and island vibe but really
Iiked everything else. We stayed at Tradewinds. The beach was amazing. The cabanas were great. The service was good. There wasn't a lot of night life at our resort though.

We went to the Big Island over Christmas. I second that recommendation. We are going again at the beginning of 2014.

I think your idea of the Bahamas is very good. I wouldn't stay at Atlantis though. It is crowded and inauthentic but worth getting a day pass--to two. It is amazing but just too commercial and crowded. We did an excursion that brought us to an uninhabited island to feed the mantas and another area to feed the iguanas. That was a great trip. I think it was called great Exuma. If I had it to do over again I would stay somewhere that isn't crowded, has a nice beach, and enjoy authentic Bahamas. But, I would also do some commercial things too and after enjoying that I would be happy to get away from it all.