a nice dilemma

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
loria

a nice dilemma

Post by loria »

the kids have a two week christmas break this year and we want to take advantage of that for a 'last' school family holiday (oldest will be entering college in 2014) -- i am in the very fortunate position of having a lot of FF miles (which i HOPE we can use) and a husband who has to give talks in both Taiwan and Australia in the last quarter of 2013. so forumites-- we were thinking of New Zealand, or Indonesia or Laos or Burma.....( Burma has always been a dream to me and i love SE asia), but with the australia trip, New Zealand seems like a great choice too.
I thought we would end up in STJ for christmas (and i am sort of sad that that probably will not be the case) but if anyone has traveled to any of these places (or has other ideas that would be good for that time of year)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Laura T

Re: a nice dilemma

Post by Laura T »

Not having been to the other locations, I can only provide my opinion of New Zealand. We spent two weeks on the south island in February 2008 and it was one of our favorite vacations. We stayed in 7 (I think) different locations...driving from one area to another (with one cross island flight). We did a lot of hiking and it was all wonderful.

What I thought was the most interesting about New Zealand was how unique each area we visited was. We stayed in the "city" Christchurch, spent time at the "beach" up in Nelson. Spent some time (not much time) visiting a glacier. Hiked in the mountains around Queenstown (and stayed in the best B&B I have ever stayed in there), We spent some time on a sheep farm. Stayed in a lodge in Te Anau (where my husband still regrets not fly fishing). And we took a boat trip in a fiord. We also went on a whale watching trip (though I was not a big fan). And of course, we saw a few of the areas where Lord of the Rings was filmed. Oh, and we flew in a Cessna around the mountains/glaciers.

I loved that every day brought new scenery and new things to do. And weather ranging from 40 to 80 degrees! I would be happy to share anything I can with you about New Zealand.
loria

Post by loria »

lauraT thanks! is two weeks enough time to do both north and south? i would love to here more about your trip, the itinerary , where you stayed and what you loved (and didn't love?) i have really been leaning to SE asia, but think that NZ night be the way to go......
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

I went on a travel agent tour to New Zealand/Australia back in the mid '90's. We only went to the North Island, so spent time in Rotorua and Aukland. Rotorua is similar to Yellowstone with geyers and many thermal pools. We especially enjoyed the grotto in the basement of the hotel (I think it was the Sheraton). We were greeted in the traditional Maori manner when we went to the cultural center there.
There were many excursions that one could take-my roommate took a jet-boat ride while I took a farm tour. Both turned out to be exciting but for different reasons. Unless things have changed since I was there, they had no liability laws so if you decided to bungee jump into a gorge or rap jump off the side of a building it was entirely on your own responsibility. Kiwi's don't seem to have any fear.
We attended a Hangi (a meal similar to a luau but the meal cooked in a steam earth oven) with the traditional Haka dance. We also went to the Agrodome for an education in all things sheep. We then took the Maori gondola tour through the Waitomo glow worm caves. We visited a kiwi fruit farm for lunch and found that they grow on vines, not trees. Some of the ranches raise deer with huge fences to keep them in. The rural scenery is shockingly green and beautiful.
Aukland had sailing excursions, an aquarium and museums.
It is on my bucket list to go to the south island and see the fiords.
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

For two weeks, you are not going to see everything even if you stick to one island. We could have cut out one or two stops in the south island and opted to visit the north island, but ultimately, when we researched, we found that the things we were most interested in were on the south island, so we stayed there.

We used a travel agent for this trip (first time for us doing so) and it really helped. I have detailed itinerary that I can send you if you PM me with your email address. Below is our high-level itinerary. We stayed in the same B&B in Christchurch on our first and last days. Transportation was all via car except one inter-island flight.

Christchurch (Hadleigh B&B)
Arthurs Pass Wilderness Lodge
Lake Moeraki Lodge
Queenstown (Pencarrow B&B) - seriously a GREAT B&B
Te Anau Fiordland Lodge - from here we flew to Nelson
Nelson (Coastal Palms )
Kaikoura Anchor Inn - did not love this place
Christchurch (Hadleigh)
jmq

Post by jmq »

Nice dilemma indeed. NZ is at the top of my travel bucket list (with maybe a stop in French Polynesia), so I hope that is what you choose so I can live vicariously thru you LOL.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

New Zealand. I have lived in SE Asia, and that time of year will have Laos firmly intrenched in rainy season. Not fun, as it is a poor country with limited infrastructure. You may fair better in Burma, but New Zealand will be in the middle of summer....it is an amazing place. Enjoy!