Moving day

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Anthony
Site Admin

Moving day

Post by Anthony »

Hi everyone -
Today we are leaving Florence (find a pic of the movers from Wed. here http://finta.com), heading back to America for the foreseeable future! I have been sort of quiet about it but some of you here have heard no doubt. Anyway, just wanted to say that it will be a travel day, so any requests for help probably won't be addressed until Monday morning at the earliest (Florence -> Paris -> Philadelphia -> drive home to Mantoloking, NJ - leaving for the airport at about 11 AM local time).

Hopefully settling somewhere on the east coast will bring me back to the VI more often!

I will have more news about everything - life in Italy, our plans for the this site, etc. etc. etc. in the coming weeks.

Ciao!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
lprof

Re: Moving day

Post by lprof »

Safe travels and welcome back! Best of luck with the move! Ciao!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

There are some summer days coming to NJ this week. I hope that makes things look a little brighter in Mantoloking. Stay strong!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thank you for your work on this wonderful forum. Praying safe and uneventful (!) travels for you. Would love to hear about life in Italy.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Safe travels home, Anthony.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Hope your move goes well!
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

Praying you have a safe trip .
BetsyV

Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Thanks everyone - we are back! No internet, no phone, no car, but we have a little food in the house :)

I am posting from the MYC (http://www.mantolokingyachtclub.com) where the Wifi is up and running... really have not been able to see much yet around town - it was dark when we got back late last night. It is a nice day here in NJ however - much more humid that Florence but still pretty - more soon!
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

Welcome to the USA.
BetsyV

Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Wow, welcome back! I'm sure you will miss Italy, hoping being back in Jersey will be good for all of you :)
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Welcome back, Finta Family!
- Ruth, St. John Spice
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Here is a small update:

We got Internet back yesterday, which also means we got the VOIP phone running -

We got a new family plan at T-Mobile - 4 new cell #s for $100 a month. Seems like a good deal.

We got a BRAND NEW CAR! Crazy. This is only the 4th car I have owned in my life and first non-Toyota product... not the Audi I wanted but a Kia Sportage.

And, I have eaten almost all the things I swore I never would after leaving Italy - McDonalds, Surf Taco, Mike's Subs, and a really sickeningly sweet "old fashioned" donut at Starbucks... (MB will know of these local places that may confuse some of you :) I did also have one single Dorito chip as the girls devoured the bag. And I never even saw the Gold Fish.

I was 223.5 on the scale on Monday morning... which is less than I weighed as a high school freshman... so we'll see where this goes!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Have you tried 10th Ave Burrito in Belmar? I hear it is good.
How are things looking in town?
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

No but I will!

Things are looking not great - it is sort of surreal because some "views" are exactly the same, and others you don't even recognize. From the deck of this house with the view of the bay, you would never know anything happened. We have been so busy that I have not even walked the beach yet.

Coming over the Mantoloking bridge from the west is probably the most alarming thing, once you realize how much is gone. Have not been south on 35 yet at all. Bay Head looks like it was pretty bad there also.

There is a lot cleaned up here (and I mean totally - just dirt lots), but there are still plenty of homes to be demolished.

And they cancelled the 4th of July parade! I can't figure that one out - would have been a great moral booster.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Anthony wrote:
Coming over the Mantoloking bridge from the west is probably the most alarming thing, once you realize how much is gone. Have not been south on 35 yet at all. Bay Head looks like it was pretty bad there also.
I just did this a couple of weeks ago and I was stunned. I don't normally come this way but I was coming from the south and trying to get up to Spring Lake so I jumped off the GSP at 90. I really could not believe me eyes.