Limo food?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Xislandgirl

Limo food?

Post by Xislandgirl »

we have a 2 hour limo ride to see Kenny on Saturday. I want to be sure that we have food to absorb the beverages and a few snacks for the ride home.

Low carb is a MUST.

Whatca got for me?
liamsaunt

Re: Limo food?

Post by liamsaunt »

Are you sure that you can eat in the limo?

Assuming that you can, I think the main goal would be to pick stuff that is handheld and definitely not messy. I would go simple and filling. What about using low-carb wraps and creating a bunch of different wraps? Like turkey-cheese-arugula, hummus-carrot-cucumber, roast beef-horseradish-swiss, etc. You can slice them into smallish pieces so everyone can have different flavors.

I make this recipe and serve it at room temperature often:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... index.html

I don't eat low carb (yet), but I am sure you know of a substitute for the sugar in the dip. Or you could probably just leave it out, or even elimate the dip altogether. The marinade gives the chicken lots of flavor. Definitely marinate it overnight, those people in the comments don't know what they are talking about :wink: Use flat-topped skewers so nobody pokes a sharp point into their mouth while the limo is moving.

Snacky stuff like kale chips, roasted nuts, olives?

What kind of drinks are you serving? I guess I always thought alcohol drinks were pretty carb-filled. John and I have been doing some minor diet modifications in tandem with a ramped up exercise plan, so I'd defintely be interested in hearing what you are serving.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

liamsaunt wrote:

What kind of drinks are you serving? I guess I always thought alcohol drinks were pretty carb-filled.
probably why the food has to be low carb. moderation. priorities. ;)
Terry

Post by Terry »

Well, here in CO, Limo food consists of MJ brownies or rice crispie treats. No alcohol needed and you can order the type of MJ you want and it is delivered through the mail to your home address. You can order a version that doesn't make you crave munchies or take you over the edge.

And it's all legal! Well, without the Feds.

Although the growers are taxed very heavily, they are folks that make good money before investing in a grow farm. Realtors, Bankers, Pro Athlete owners, etc. It's takes a lot to make it work. It's not a cheap investment.

Just a suggestion to a quick Limo ride.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Food low carb so we can have the beverages! Duh!

Really it is because My boss(who is coming with us) is on a very strict eating regimen and I am trying to accommodate her as much as I can.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Glad we won't be in CO[WINKING FACE] I more of a wine and cheese girl
Terry

Post by Terry »

But I'm sure there is a Pate' recipe we can make for you. Chicken Liver Pate perhaps? With vegies? :D
Last edited by Terry on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Cheeses and cured meats like pepperoni, parma, etc.?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I like the wraps idea, with a very thin whole grain wrap; raw veggies and humus; mini spinach "quiches" (no crust, they are quite good!); deviled eggs...just throwin' out some ideas here. Let us know what you end up doing. The ride home could be difficult as most of the suggestions need refrigeration while you are at the concert. Not sure a cooler would suffice.

Good luck and have a blast!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Some of my favorites are ripe figs, cut in half and wrapped with a piece of prosciutto (if you cut each slice in half lengthwise it's plenty to wrap the fruit) . I find nice figs at Whole Foods or Fresh Market. You can also use cantelope but I don't think it's quite as good. Or , if fresh figs aren't available, I also like to take a baguette - the long skinny kind - slice it into 1/2 inch thick slices and toast them on the grill. (You can do it in the oven too but the grill gives them a smokier taste and the grill marks are nice to look at.) Spread some softened goat cheese on each, add a teaspoon or so of those fig preserves you find in the gourmet aisle or sometimes the imported cheese section of the grocery store and then top with about 1/4 of a strip of prosciutto rolled up so that it looks nice. The contrast of the sweet figs with the salty prosciutto and the tart goat cheese is SO good! I also love Martha Stewart's recipe for a mixture of bleu cheese/cream cheese piped into endive leaves and topped with a toasted walnut half. Yummy!! And it looks very elegant but easy to pick up with your fingers.